RedHat 6.1, LILO, and Win98

Post by Craig Zwebe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've just installed RedHat 6.1 over my RedHat 5.1 installation by
formatting my primary hard drive (/dev/hda) and installing from scratch.  I
have somehow lost access to my Windows98 install on my secondary hard drive
(/dev/hdb).  Here is my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
append="hda=6136,16,63 hdb=3146,16,63 hdc=1654,16,63"
linear
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1

other=/dev/hdb1
        label=win
        table=/dev/hdb

Linux loads correctly (I'm using it now to write this message.).
When I choose "win" at the LILO: prompt, I get this message:

Invalid system disk
Replace the disk, and then press any key

I have tested the Windows98 install by removing my Linux drive, making the
Windows98 drive the primary, and only, disk on the IDE chain, and
rebooting.  Windows98 boots just fine.  In other words, this disk is a
valid system disk, otherwise it would not boot at this point.

Now what really gets me, this configuration worked just fine under RedHat
5.1.

Does anyone have any ideas why this doesn't work?

Thanks,

Craig

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

RedHat 6.1, LILO, and Win98

Post by CIMEBO » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

When you formatted your hda, I believe that the system files for win98 got
deleted. Boot up with your win98 boot disk and at the a: type sys c:  This
will install the win98 system files to your primary partition

RedHat 6.1, LILO, and Win98

Post by CIMEBO » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Craig, I didn't realize you had linux on your hda partition. You can't do as I
suggested.

RedHat 6.1, LILO, and Win98

Post by David Ript » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I've just installed RedHat 6.1 over my RedHat 5.1 installation by
>formatting my primary hard drive (/dev/hda) and installing from scratch.  I
>have somehow lost access to my Windows98 install on my secondary hard drive
>(/dev/hdb).  Here is my lilo.conf:

>boot=/dev/hda
>append="hda=6136,16,63 hdb=3146,16,63 hdc=1654,16,63"
>linear
>map=/boot/map
>install=/boot/boot.b
>prompt
>timeout=50
>default=linux

>image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
>    label=linux
>    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
>    read-only
>    root=/dev/hda1
>ke
>other=/dev/hdb1
>    label=win
>    table=/dev/hdb

>Linux loads correctly (I'm using it now to write this message.).
>When I choose "win" at the LILO: prompt, I get this message:

>Invalid system disk
>Replace the disk, and then press any key

>I have tested the Windows98 install by removing my Linux drive, making the
>Windows98 drive the primary, and only, disk on the IDE chain, and
>rebooting.  Windows98 boots just fine.  In other words, this disk is a
>valid system disk, otherwise it would not boot at this point.

>Now what really gets me, this configuration worked just fine under RedHat
>5.1.

>Does anyone have any ideas why this doesn't work?

Got me.   Where is LILO installed?

Workaround: Make sure you have a good rescue floppy set, and the
contents of your /etc/fstab written down.  Swap the drive jumpers,
making the Windows drive primary master (which you know works)
and the Linux drive primary slave.

Then boot with your rescue floppy, manually mount your Linux
partition with /etc on it, edit fstab and lilo.conf to change
the hda to hdb and vice-versa, and rerun lilo.  I run this
configuration (Win98 on hda, Linux on hdb, LILO on MBR of
hda) and it works fine, with the small caveat that a Windows
reinstall (which I end up doing every few months, sigh) wipes
LILO off the MBR, forcing me to boot from a floppy and rerun
lilo to put it back.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

1. RedHat 6.1/Win98 LILO Problem

I have a Promise ATA66 card and finally was able to install RedHat 6.1 onto
my second hard drive with Win98 SE on the first.

After I had install everything onto my hard disk, I restarted my computer,
expecting to see the "LILO  boot:" prompt to start either Win98SE or RedHat
6.1.

The problem resides that instead of "LILO boot:", all I get is "LI".  The
computer will not accept any input save for good old control-alt-delete.
The problem is within the Master Boot Record, as the DOS command

fdisk /mbr

fixed the problem.  Is this a general RedHat 6.1 problem, or did I do
something wrong?

Thanks in advance...

2. Opportunity: need unix support & tcl/tk skills

3. Problem Installing (Mandrake 6.1) LILO Under Win98 2nd Edition (newbie)

4. pptp for linux ??

5. Redhat 6.1, Win98 and loadlin

6. Konqueror kio_http misbehaves with proxy

7. Newbie trying for WIN98 and Redhat 6.1 connection

8. mount the diskOnKey when it is plugged in

9. Linux RedHat 5.2/6.1 and Win98 on the same computer

10. RedHat 6.1 & Win98, please help!

11. Network printing to Win98 machine from RedHat 6.1

12. Linux Newbie: Win98 Dual boot problem (RedHat 6.1)

13. lilo problems on RedHat 6.1