Redhat, slackware, infomagic prices?

Post by Bas V » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am a bit confused about the different Linux packages out there.  I
noticed that Redhat and slackware are priced around $40-$50.
Infomagic is cheaper and has both these distribution on their CD set.
What are the pro's and cons of buying a particular distribution vs a
collection of distributions like infomagic?  Does f.e. redhat include
a lot of extra applications that are missing in the infomagic
distribution.  How about the now separate archive cd-set infomagic
sells?
TIA for any clarification,

Bas

Post by Ben Russ » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am a bit confused about the different Linux packages out there.  I
> noticed that Redhat and slackware are priced around $40-$50.
> Infomagic is cheaper and has both these distribution on their CD set.
> What are the pro's and cons of buying a particular distribution vs a
> collection of distributions like infomagic?  Does f.e. redhat include
> a lot of extra applications that are missing in the infomagic
> distribution.  How about the now separate archive cd-set infomagic
> sells?
> TIA for any clarification,

> Bas

RedHat/Caldera/Slackware etc....

These companies spend lot's of money putting together a nice
install program and working out a lot of the bugs and bumps
a user might encounter when installing an OS on a machine.

They give away the fruit's of their labor on FTP sites both
out of good-will (in some cases) and because they are required
to by the GPL (in other cases).

If you want to save money and get a CD based install for Linux
you can buy a copy of the RedHat CD from cheapbytes for $1.99.

If on the other hand (like myself) you want to support the
efforts of RedHat which is a great beneficial company for
the Linux community.  Then buy their boxed set.

The boxed set actually has less on CD's than a 6 CD set from
InfoMagic.  However it comes with a simple Paper bound
book that will answer LOTS of questions about installation.

All of that paper bound book can be found online of course,
but once again you have the choice of "donating" money to
Linux Programmers at RedHat.  For example several of the Key
Linux Kernel Hackers and Driver authors are partially supported
by money from RedHat.  They don't have to go to an office or
answer to a boss. They get paid just to keep doin' what they
are doin'.

-Ben.

Post by Michael Per » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am a bit confused about the different Linux packages out there.  I
>noticed that Redhat and slackware are priced around $40-$50.
>Infomagic is cheaper and has both these distribution on their CD set.
>What are the pro's and cons of buying a particular distribution vs a
>collection of distributions like infomagic?  Does f.e. redhat include
>a lot of extra applications that are missing in the infomagic
>distribution.  How about the now separate archive cd-set infomagic
>sells?
>TIA for any clarification,

>Bas

Just to toss some more confusion into the mix.  You can buy cheaper dists.
at www.cheapbytes.com.  I love their prices.  You are looking at under
10.00 US for compilations of different distributions.  Check them out.
I bought a kit which included debian, redhat, slackware, and one other for
12.00 I think.  No manuals or anything.  You will have to build boot
diskettes off the cd's if memory serves.

--
Michael Perry

-------------------

Redhat, slackware, infomagic prices?

Post by John Caru » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Be careful with infomagic. I bought the August 97 release and sent in a
question that was supposed to be part of the "support" package I paid for
and it took over 2 months for them to get back to me. More recently I sent
in a question about 4 weeks ago and am still counting. I don't think its
worth the money. Get it from cheapbytes.

>> Hi,

>> I am a bit confused about the different Linux packages out there.  I
>> noticed that Redhat and slackware are priced around $40-$50.
>> Infomagic is cheaper and has both these distribution on their CD set.
>> What are the pro's and cons of buying a particular distribution vs a
>> collection of distributions like infomagic?  Does f.e. redhat include
>> a lot of extra applications that are missing in the infomagic
>> distribution.  How about the now separate archive cd-set infomagic
>> sells?
>> TIA for any clarification,

>> Bas

>RedHat/Caldera/Slackware etc....

>These companies spend lot's of money putting together a nice
>install program and working out a lot of the bugs and bumps
>a user might encounter when installing an OS on a machine.

>They give away the fruit's of their labor on FTP sites both
>out of good-will (in some cases) and because they are required
>to by the GPL (in other cases).

>If you want to save money and get a CD based install for Linux
>you can buy a copy of the RedHat CD from cheapbytes for $1.99.

>If on the other hand (like myself) you want to support the
>efforts of RedHat which is a great beneficial company for
>the Linux community.  Then buy their boxed set.

>The boxed set actually has less on CD's than a 6 CD set from
>InfoMagic.  However it comes with a simple Paper bound
>book that will answer LOTS of questions about installation.

>All of that paper bound book can be found online of course,
>but once again you have the choice of "donating" money to
>Linux Programmers at RedHat.  For example several of the Key
>Linux Kernel Hackers and Driver authors are partially supported
>by money from RedHat.  They don't have to go to an office or
>answer to a boss. They get paid just to keep doin' what they
>are doin'.

>-Ben.

1. Infomagic install from Slackware setup

I have been trying to install packages from an infomagic cd using the
setup in Slackware 2.0. I am able to mount the cd without a problem, and
I can even go into /cdrom and browse around without any trouble
whatsoever, but when I try to install a package using setup the program
errors out after selecting the source device. I am using a
Matsushita/Panasonic cd with a soundblaster pro. I know the cd works well
enough since I installed the Slackware Pro 2.0 cd from it, hell I even
got workman to play a cd for me on it. Just wondering if there is a way
to get this to work or if not an alternate way of installing packages in
Slackware.

2. Problem with Linux and HP

3. Anyone know when Infomagic's next release is scheduled for (w Slackware 3.0)

4. Where can I get awk / ksh for dos?

5. CLARIFICATION: INFOMAGIC Slackware August 1995

6. 2 php

7. security risk with ftp - infomagic slackware 1.2.13

8. PROGETTO - PLAN

9. Slackware 3.0 -- Infomagic says bad problems?

10. Does Infomagic Slackware have the apropos bug?

11. Infomagic/Slackware gotcha

12. HELP: compaq 5133 - slackware 96 from Infomagic

13. HELP HELP HELP for Infomagic Slackware 3.1 Distribution