Please tell me how to recover the lost Lilo loader!

Please tell me how to recover the lost Lilo loader!

Post by Hiroshi Shiba » Tue, 26 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I am a novice of Linux.

I have used both Win95 and Linux using Lilo booter so far.
But due to my careless mistakes when repartitioning the Win95 drives,
the Lilo disappeared, and now I cannot boot Linux at all.

Unfortunately, I did not make a bootable floppy disk.

I understand from some sources that, in this case, the following
procedure will enable us to make a bootable floppy disk.

1.  Boot Linux by Boot & Root disk used when starting installation
    of Linux.

2.  Mount Linux partition and move kernel to the floppy disk by
    dd command.

But because of my few knowledge on Linux, I have no idea about
the concrete command and procedure for the above No. 2.

If there is anyone who know it, will you kindly let me know?

Hiroshi Shibata

Japan

Post by Zoran Cutur » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hi, I am a novice of Linux.

> I have used both Win95 and Linux using Lilo booter so far.
> But due to my careless mistakes when repartitioning the Win95 drives,
> the Lilo disappeared, and now I cannot boot Linux at all.

> Unfortunately, I did not make a bootable floppy disk.

> I understand from some sources that, in this case, the following
> procedure will enable us to make a bootable floppy disk.

> 1.  Boot Linux by Boot & Root disk used when starting installation
>     of Linux.

> 2.  Mount Linux partition and move kernel to the floppy disk by
>     dd command.

> But because of my few knowledge on Linux, I have no idea about
> the concrete command and procedure for the above No. 2.

> If there is anyone who know it, will you kindly let me know?

> Hiroshi Shibata

> Japan

normally the boot-floppy has LILO insatlled on it

so at boottime you can tell the Kernel to use /dev/hda2 or whatever your
root-partition is on as the root-partition.

root=/dev/hda2 should be the argument to give at boot-time.

the System should come up with normal file-system environment.
now just type 'lilo', and it shoul be install again (you have to be
root).

But if you want to do it the way you discribed:

Boot with boot&root-floppies. Login root.
Mount the root-partition of your system to /mnt
        $ mount /dev/hda2 /mnt
(depends on which partition you have your root-filesystem)

Insert a new, unused floppy into the drive.

type
        $ dd if=/mnt/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0H1440

now the kernel should hopefully be copied to the floppy.

I did not this, so don't blame me.:-)

reboot the System with the floppy.
Login root again. type
        $ lilo

now lilo should be in mbr configured like before the crash.
Or you can make a new configuration in the lilo.conf file.

bye...:)
From:  Zoran Cutura, Steinbeis-TZ-Softwaretechnik,
       Mercedes-Benz, EP/VES, T900
       70322 Stuttgart, Germany, Tel. +49 711 17-42363

Please tell me how to recover the lost Lilo loader!

Post by Juergen Bulling » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>I understand from some sources that, in this case, the following
>procedure will enable us to make a bootable floppy disk.
>1.  Boot Linux by Boot & Root disk used when starting installation
>    of Linux.
>2.  Mount Linux partition and move kernel to the floppy disk by
>    dd command.

Try to boot, like you said in point 1, then mount the Linux-Root
Partition on /mnt with the following command:

        mount -t ext2fs /dev/DEVICE /mnt

where DEVICE is the name of the device, on which you have
installed Linux (if you have it installed on a ext2fs-Partition,
which is the most likely case).
If you don't know the name of the device, on which you have installed
Linux, you can call

        fdisk -l

which gives you a list of all possible partitions, with their device
names. The right one should be of type 83 (Linux native).

When you have mounted the partition, you can reinstall lilo
with

        /mnt/sbin/lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

I hope this will help you.

Juergen

Post by Mike Miskul » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>which gives you a list of all possible partitions, with their device
>names. The right one should be of type 83 (Linux native).

>When you have mounted the partition, you can reinstall lilo
>with

>    /mnt/sbin/lilo -C /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

>I hope this will help you.

>Juergen

  Juergen - what about people who use large drives, ie > 1024 cylinders?
          When I boot, I have to pass disk geometry through lilo, ie
          hda=cyl/hd/sec.  Now what happens if you rerun lilo without
          doing this?  Anything?  I've always been very cautious and
          booted from floppies into a ramdisk, using a backup that
          allows me to specify this geometry first.

Cheers,

Mike

        "When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door"

1. please help - lost LILO, LILO lost

Hello,

i recently brought my linux system down by doing some stupid thing.
i went as far as having no choice but to reset the system a few
times. after that, i tried booting win95 (sorry this beast coexists
on my hard drives). upon getting the wallpaper on screen, the screen
went blank and there was no response. then i rebooted the computer
and this time the lilo prompt was changed from "LILO: " to "LI"
and the system hung. i had no emergency boot disks ready (it was
under work at that time) but i did have a boot disk for win95 and so
i got the dos prompt with that. however, many directories were
not readable, one of which contained a comm program that i needed to
use. i turned to my good old 386, made a rescue disk and somehow
managed to get into linux again. now everythings works fine under
linux with booting from a floppy but i can't figure out how i could
fix the supposedly damaged MBR. i tried restoring the old MBR by
'lilo -u' and 'dd if=/boot/boot.0300 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1'
and reinstall lilo but it didn't work. by restoring the old mbr,
i get a message like 'insert system disk' or something, and by
reinstalling it, i get the "LI" prompt again. the lilo.conf file
is as follows.

compact
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
# timeout=600
image=/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

i still can mount win95 filesystems and i think everything is readable,
if that matters. help, anyone please?

--
Our freedom, or your life!                              <RATM>

2. fvr

3. Partitions lost, please help recover them

4. Jerky mouse

5. Please help identifying lost PIDs and recovering swap space.

6. Restoring Crontab From MksysB

7. Help with restoring /boot/loader.rc & loader.conf files please

8. BIOS-provided physical RAM map with double address

9. Please tell me- how can I tell what keeps killing my network connection?

10. Please Help: Lost Win95 OSRII after wrong LILO installation

11. How to recover Linux grub boot loader?

12. Lost LILO needs to be reconfigured...please help!

13. How to recover Linux Grub boot loader?