Where's the utmp file in RedHat?

Post by Dean C. Hines, Ph. » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi Folks:

I'm installing IRAF (astronomy data reduction software) to run on Linux.  Having
had troubles installing Slackware, I thought I'd try RedHat.  However,
RedHat seems to be nonstandard Linux?  The wtmp and utmp files are
supposed to live in /var/adm, but the RedHat installation didn't even
install a /var/adm directory.  Instead, wtmp lives in /var/log and I can't
find utmp.  IRAF wants to see the utmp file in /var/adm.  I don't mind
linking the files, but where is utmp and why isn't it in the standard
Linux/Unix place?

There have been a few other subtle problems like this which were solved
with links.  Overall, the ftp install and package handling of RedHat are
really strong, but...  I don't want to get in flames over which is
better.  Whatever works the easiest and best is all we are concerned with
here.

Thanks to all who have already answered LOTS of Slackware questions.

Cheers,
Dean

Dean C. Hines        (602)621-3445  | Disclaimer: My views don't
Steward Observatory                 | necessarily reflect those of
University of Arizona               | Steward Observatory ...
933 N. Cherry Ave. Tucson, AZ 85721 | ...See, I watched that video...

1. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

I have a Linux 1.2.8 server at work that has developed this problem after
a power outage this week. The power was out for a prolonged period of time and
the UPS ran out of juice. When the machine came back up online, it produces the
error message "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory" when
you try to do a "w" or when you open an xterm in openwindows. The /var/adm/utmp
file is still there as is its symbolic link from /etc/utmp -> /var/adm/utmp. I
had one other machine do this once before, but I reinstalled Linux before I had
a chance to track down the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill deWindt
Systems Administrator
Hampden-Sydney College in VA

2. patching kernel for eas

3. _setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

4. Gigibit Ethernet

5. Xfree & GraphMax

6. _setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory

7. Problem with Metro X RedHat Setup

8. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

9. "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory"??

10. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory - Help!

12. RedHat (Picasso): problems with the utmp file and finger