File transfer between Linux and Windows95

File transfer between Linux and Windows95

Post by Kandiah Ratnaval » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to send a flat ASCII file containing rows and columns,the
columns seperated by commas, of text and numeric data prepared under
Linux to MS Access under Windows95 for further processing as an Access
database.

Would anyone in this group have any ideas on how this may be done?

Please respond by e-mail to the address from which this enquiry
originates.

Many, many thanks,

Kandiah

File transfer between Linux and Windows95

Post by nother » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I just did it to make sure it works. So here it goes.

Copy your Linux file to a dos partition.

Goto Windows.

Open Access (cancel the create database wizard)

Go to the menu bar and create a NEW database.

Your  blank database table should be in the window.

Go to the menubar and select FILE - GET EXTERNAL DATA - IMPORT.

In the IMPORT window select FILES OF TYPE - TEXT.

Select your text file, and click IMPORT.

The next window is IMPORT TEXT WIZARD.

Choose the delimited format and click NEXT.

Choose COMMA as your field delimiter.

Now click FINISH.

Now your file is open in ACCESS and may now be saved
as an ACCESS mdb file.

Good luck,

Ben Crews

----------

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
> Subject: File transfer between Linux and Windows95
> Date: Saturday, February 07, 1998 3:42 AM

> I am trying to send a flat ASCII file containing rows and columns,the
> columns seperated by commas, of text and numeric data prepared under
> Linux to MS Access under Windows95 for further processing as an Access
> database.

> Would anyone in this group have any ideas on how this may be done?

> Please respond by e-mail to the address from which this enquiry
> originates.

> Many, many thanks,

> Kandiah

Quote:> I am trying to send a flat ASCII file containing rows and columns,the
> columns seperated by commas, of text and numeric data prepared under
> Linux to MS Access under Windows95 for further processing as an Access
> database.

> Would anyone in this group have any ideas on how this may be done?

> Please respond by e-mail to the address from which this enquiry
> originates.

> Many, many thanks,

> Kandiah

1. Printing from Windows95 on SCO Merge to a remote Windows95 printer

Problem:
How is possible to print from a Win95 session (or Word, Excel) running
on OpenServer 5.0.4p with Merge 4.0 to a printer attached to a Windows95
machine?

I tried the following:

-share the printer Brother HL-8 attached to the Win95 machine

-from the command line:

/usr/vision/visionfs/bin/visionfs print
//Win95_station_name/printer_shared_name

and the printer works.

-define a printer in Merge with the following configuration file:

attachtype=spooler
failureaction=warn
printercommand=/usr/vision/visionfs/bin/visionfs print
//Win95_station_name/printer_shared_name

command:
mrgadmin printer add pj:path_to_the_file:"long name of the printer"

-add a printer Brother HL-8 under Winodws95 on Merge:

type Brother HL-8 (as the remote printer is)
port: pj

Could anybody give me a suggestion?

--

Please REMOVE the anti-spam termination from the email address

2. no tty at all, well I'll telnet in then...

3. Using Linux file system under Windows95

4. find_solib error in RedHat 5.1

5. Copying a File From LINUX to Windows95

6. Q: ALPS 4x4 CD CHANGER ?

7. Can i downlaod linux files in Win98 and transfer them to linux?

8. Redhat Linux 7.2 telnet can't take input from file

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Locking a file temporarily (till the file is transferred completely).

11. Transferring unix file to Windows file

12. transfer partial lines of a file to new file

13. QUESTION: transferring files between file systems???