HOW-TO: Web browsers in Linux?

Post by MT Bye » Wed, 28 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Here's a simple one that stumped this simpleton:

Assuming I actually figure out how to get connected to my PPP provider
(sometimes I wonder why I even try, sigh), and that I figure out where
Netscape and Mosaic go (unpack in /usr/local, right?). the question
is...

How will I start the browser?  Do I need to be in X?  If so, Do I need
an xterm to enter commands?

Thanks all!

Michael

HOW-TO: Web browsers in Linux?

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Assuming I actually figure out how to get connected to my PPP provider
>(sometimes I wonder why I even try, sigh), and that I figure out where
>Netscape and Mosaic go (unpack in /usr/local, right?). the question

The Netscape Navigator and NCSA Mosaic binaries for Linux come
as gzipped binaries which include instructions.  I just
picked a directory and did the tar xzvf bletch.tar.gz,
and followed those instructions.  Both browsers run under X
over PPP with no further configuration.

Quote:>How will I start the browser?  Do I need to be in X?  If so, Do I need
>an xterm to enter commands?

Make a symlink in /usr/X11R6/bin pointing to whereever your
netscape binary is.  Then, in an xterm, type:

  netscape -install /etc/motd &

The "-install" tells netscape to make its own color map so you can
keep opening other apps and they can get enough colors.
The local filename is one way to tell netscape not to try to
load its default advertising page when it starts.  The & says
to give your shell back.

I also fetched Lynx-2.4 source and installed it according to
the instructions that come with it.  Lynx runs just fine in
an xterm or on the console.  If you're running it in an xterm it will
start up xv when it wants to show you a picture.

I also fetched the Linux binary of Arena from the World Wide
Web Consortium.  It's unusable, crashes all the time.
Too bad, I'd really like an HTML 3 browser that knows the
difference between HTML and Netscape "extensions."

Cameron
--
http://www.rahul.net/cameron/

1. LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

Hello,

some weeks ago there was a discussion about Embedded Linux Web Browsers.
I told you, that I would take LINKS
(http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/), but it had a
drawback, that Javascript could not be executed automatically.
There is a option in the latest release (2.1pre10) now, where they fixed
this (thanks to the programmers).

Now it is possible to use this browser as frontend:

As the meta-refresh tag is not recognized, a refresh must be done by adding
the following java script (I tested it with MS IE, Mozilla, Konqueror,
Links):

<head>
<script>
setTimeout("window.location.replace('URL')",2000)
</script>

URL is the new source, 2000 (ms) is for 2 seconds.

When the script is executed, the user is asked, if he wants to do so. This
can be changed in the settings.

A nice feature is, that one can adjust the number of retries. If the
automation server crashed and the program is restarted, LINKS therefore just
retries to get a web page without stopping the polls. You only have to
ensure, that every page contains the setTimeout().

The size of the browser seems to be 2 to 4 MBytes (depending on ./configure)
and up to 8 MBytes, if everything is linked statically.

Greetings
Ernst

2. Peintium II and pgcc

3. X-Web: Linux and X apps in a web browser

4. Memory leaks with pthreads and GNU g++ 2.8.1

5. Browser Question (Plug-ins) m-w.com

6. mod_rewrite transparent external redirect

7. video/audio plug-ins for Netscape 4.03 browser

8. Motif (Metrolink) 1.2.4 forsale ($110)

9. I can ping my web server but can't open page in web browser

10. How to measure response time between web browser and web server ?

11. X Web: Broadway Web Browser Plugin

12. Yggdrasil approved by The World Wide Web Consortium to develop Arena Web Browser

13. Linux installation "how-to" Web sites?, and a coupla questions