FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

Post by Neil Zanell » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00



Hello,

I have just reinstalled win95 on a FAT32 partition and
upgraded my kernel to 2.0.35 so that (hopefully) I will
be able to see my dos partiton even though it uses FAT32
(aka "enable lrge disk support").

I have the following /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda8               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               /usr/local              ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto          0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

... and my dos partiton is on /dev/hda1 and is supposed to be mounted under the /msdos directory
which is already there (I created it through RedHat's Disk Druid (aka "fdisk with GUI") when I was
installing up Linux).

Here's the output of df:


Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda5             599043  524089    44010     92%   /
/dev/hda8              50717    8856    39242     18%   /home
/dev/hda6             247871   35465   199606     15%   /usr/local

The fat32 filesystem does not show (the /msdos directory doesin't either).
/msdos should be mounted on (? /dev/hda9) and should get mounted at boot time?

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Neil Zanella

 
 
 

FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

Post by Der Guhvie » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> Hello,

> I have just reinstalled win95 on a FAT32 partition and
> upgraded my kernel to 2.0.35 so that (hopefully) I will
> be able to see my dos partiton even though it uses FAT32
> (aka "enable lrge disk support").

> I have the following /etc/fstab file:

> /dev/hda5               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
> /dev/hda8               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda6               /usr/local              ext2    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2    noauto          0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro       0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

> ... and my dos partiton is on /dev/hda1 and is supposed to be mounted under the /msdos directory
> which is already there (I created it through RedHat's Disk Druid (aka "fdisk with GUI") when I was
> installing up Linux).
<snip>
> Any suggestions?

Yep, you need a line in /etc/fstab that has data for the dos
partition. The following has no guarantees:

        /dev/hda1  /msdos  vfat  auto,user,rw  0 0

--
Caio                       |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
The Guhvanoh <ViNyL 4eVeR> |  do not get until just after you need it.
/* Standard disclaimer */  |        Email: akabi at home dot com        
#include <disclaimer.h>    |         Expect reply within the Decade

 
 
 

FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

Post by Neil Zanell » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00


Quote:> Yep, you need a line in /etc/fstab that has data for the dos
> partition. The following has no guarantees:

>    /dev/hda1  /msdos  vfat  auto,user,rw  0 0

The first two entries are definitely right.
Now my /proc/filesystems shows:

        ext2
        minix
        msdos
        vfat
nodev   proc
        iso9660

so the third entry is either msdos or vfat (I was expecting it would be something like
fat32 or fat16 but i guess vfat is a generic term, and I guess msdos is for dos systems
that don't have windows installed, correct me if I'm wrong here).

I'm not sure about how to interpret the mount options, dump, and fsck fields but I'll
give it a try.

Back in 3 minutes (half to shut down the system, half to reboot, half to redial,
and half to access the pine program on the network).

...

I'm back: it worked!!!

Great, now I can see the long filenames!

Thanks for your help,

Neil

 
 
 

FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

Post by Der Guhvie » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00



> > Yep, you need a line in /etc/fstab that has data for the dos
> > partition. The following has no guarantees:

> >       /dev/hda1  /msdos  vfat  auto,user,rw  0 0

> The first two entries are definitely right.
> Now my /proc/filesystems shows:

>         ext2
>         minix
>         msdos
>         vfat
> nodev   proc
>         iso9660

> so the third entry is either msdos or vfat (I was expecting it would be something like
> fat32 or fat16 but i guess vfat is a generic term, and I guess msdos is for dos systems
> that don't have windows installed, correct me if I'm wrong here).

> I'm not sure about how to interpret the mount options, dump, and fsck fields but I'll
> give it a try.

> Back in 3 minutes (half to shut down the system, half to reboot, half to redial,
> and half to access the pine program on the network).

Three minutes!?!?!? Three minutes!?!?!? WHY!?!?!?!?

All you had to do was make the changes and then:

        umount -a;mount -a

as root and ignoring the error messages.

Quote:> Thanks for your help,

No sweat

--
Caio                       |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
The Guhvanoh <ViNyL 4eVeR> |  do not get until just after you need it.
/* Standard disclaimer */  |        Email: akabi at home dot com        
#include <disclaimer.h>    |         Expect reply within the Decade

 
 
 

1. FAT32 mount broken in even under 2.0.35

I installed RedHat-5.1 (kernel 2.0.34), upgraded to 2.0.35, but I still
cannot mount my FAT32 partition.  I checked to see if the patches by Mr.
Chaffee were there.  They were.  I tried

# mount -t vfat -o debug /dev/hda1 /dosc

 and got

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
       or too many mounted file systems

From this the tail from /var/log/messages was

Jul 24 14:19:44 mordor kernel: [MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT
32,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022,bmap]
Jul 24 14:19:44 mordor kernel:
[me=0xf8,cs=8,#f=2,fs=32,fl=12260,ds=24552,de=0,data=24552,se=0,ts=12578832,ls=512,rc=2,fc=1254859]
Jul 24 14:19:44 mordor kernel: Transaction block size = 512
Jul 24 14:19:44 mordor kernel: VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem
on dev 03:01.

What gives?

One should know that before installing Linux, I tried to shrink my
Winders partition using a FAT32 (beta) extension of FIPS (1.6b I
believe). Since Winders could no longer find KERNEL386.EXE, I restored
from the rescue floppy made by FIPS.  Being the cheapskate I am, I then
tried using PartitionIt from Quarterdeck.  This also failed.

Maybe one of these programs (PartitionIt) corrupted my superblock, or
MBR, or ???.

Dennis R. Weilert

2. How to unsubscribe

3. FAT32 in 2.0.34/2.0.35

4. Getting mp3's to download correctly via HTTP and Netscape 4

5. FAT32 under 2.0.34/2.0.35?

6. Memory upgrade

7. Mounting a Fat32 partition from linux

8. Happy New Years!

9. linux fdisk hidden fat32 (1b) --> fat32 (0b) = dos fdisk fat16 ???

10. mounting fat32 partitions in linux?

11. Mounting a FAT32 DOS partition from Linux

12. Can Linux mount FAT32 partitions?

13. Mounting FAT32 partitions under RH Linux 6.1