Help! shared libraries not working quite right.

Help! shared libraries not working quite right.

Post by Kirk Reis » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I have just finished installing the libraries 4.6.27.  It works fine
for most things but I have run into a problem with some common
programs.  For example, the "w" command gives me an error about
_setutent not being able to open utmp.  Also trn seems to be broken.
I wondered if anyone else had seen this problem.  I've looked
everywhere I can think to look for a fix or explanation, but haven't
found anything useful.  I have installed ld.so 1.5.3 and it seems to
be working allright.  The ldconfig seemed to go fine.  I did notice
that where there used to be ld.so.4.5.21 ... libraries in /usr/lib,
they don't seem to be there with 4.6.27.  I did sum experimenting and
having them there didn't seem to have any affect on my errors anyway.
I have upgraded the kernel to 1.2.5 but it didn't seem to help either.
I have kinda run out of ideas.  Any help you could provide will
certainly be appreciated.

Thanx
  Kirk
--

KirkReiser                              The Computer Braille Facility

phone: (519) 661-3061

Post by Daniel W Bu » Tue, 25 Apr 1995 04:00:00

> I have just finished installing the libraries 4.6.27.  It works fine
> for most things but I have run into a problem with some common
> programs.  For example, the "w" command gives me an error about
> _setutent not being able to open utmp.  Also trn seems to be broken.
> I wondered if anyone else had seen this problem.  I've looked
> everywhere I can think to look for a fix or explanation, but haven't
> found anything useful.  I have installed ld.so 1.5.3 and it seems to
> be working allright.  The ldconfig seemed to go fine.  I did notice
> that where there used to be ld.so.4.5.21 ... libraries in /usr/lib,
> they don't seem to be there with 4.6.27.  I did sum experimenting and
> having them there didn't seem to have any affect on my errors anyway.
> I have upgraded the kernel to 1.2.5 but it didn't seem to help either.
> I have kinda run out of ideas.  Any help you could provide will
> certainly be appreciated.

From the manual page for utmp(5):

       Wtmp is maintained by login(1), and init(1) and some  very
       of  getty(1).  Neither of these programs creates the file,
       so if it is removed record-keeping is turned off.

The same goes for utmp: since the programs which use this file won't
create it, it must be created by hand and at some point it was moved
from /etc to /var/adm. You must create these by hand if they do not
exist.

If you are installing from the slackware distribution (what I have
experience with) there is a tar file called etc.tgz in the a4
directory. Untarring this file creates /var/adm/utmp and
/var/adm/wtmp.

I hope this helps,

                                     Daniel Bump

1. mail not quite working right

I've gotten a server set up and I thought I had DNS working (it mostly
does) but one thing isn't right yet.  I want a user's address to be

I could use that but I'd rather not.  Is this a DNS issue or a
sendmail issue?  What did I do wrong (or more likely, what did I not
do)?

Henry Hartley

2. high memory missing (IWill motherboard)

3. DHCP SERVER not working quite right? (RH6.0)

4. Promise IDE ATA-100 controller on ASUS A7V133

5. lpd: filters not working quite right

6. HELP:Solaris and JetDirect

7. shared library minor number stuff doesn't work right

8. ls syntax

9. When is a shared library not a shared library?

10. My Lovely Openwin... not quite right.

11. source rpm's not quite right

12. 2.5.29: fbcon palette not quite right

13. Help with building shared libraries with dependencies on other shared libraries