hp deskjet 600: how to calibrate colors & print in economy mode ?

hp deskjet 600: how to calibrate colors & print in economy mode ?

Post by Peter Horstkor » Sun, 06 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hallo experts !

My problem(s) should be simple, but I couldn=B4t find a solution since
now,
so I will be very happy if anyone can help me out.

1. I can print postscript-files (with a little help of ghostscript), but
the colors are not the way they should be. Mostly they are a lot darker
then I want them to be.
->  Is there any tool to calibrate the printed colors ?

2. Under do$/window$ there is a hp-software to choose the kind of paper
and the amount of ink to use. Is there anything like that under Linux ?
I need to print (colored) overhead-foils in best quality. Normally I
like
to print in economy mode.

Thanks in advance,
Peter Horstkorte.

hp deskjet 600: how to calibrate colors & print in economy mode ?

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hallo experts !
> My problem(s) should be simple, but I couldnt find a solution since
> now,
> so I will be very happy if anyone can help me out.
> 1. I can print postscript-files (with a little help of ghostscript), but
> the colors are not the way they should be. Mostly they are a lot darker
> then I want them to be.
> ->  Is there any tool to calibrate the printed colors ?

I don't know of any tool to do the job, but it sounds to me like you may
not be using the Ghostscript options correctly.  If you're using the
stcolor driver, you should be specifying the stcolor.ps file to be printed
on the same run as and prior to the file you're trying to print.  For
instance:

gs -sDEVICE=stcolor <more options> stcolor.ps myfile.ps

Red Hat's printtool, just as an example, does *NOT* set this up correctly.
If you're using Ghostscript 5.01 and its new uniprint driver, specifying
stcolor.ps shouldn't be necessary; instead, there are configuration files
for specific printer (including the ESC 600, I believe) that accomplish
the same goal.  Ghostscript 5.01 will also handle the ESC 600's 720x1440
dpi mode, which 4.03 and prior versions won't.

In addition, you may want to experiment with different dither modes, since
these can influence the way a printout looks.

Quote:> 2. Under do$/window$ there is a hp-software to choose the kind of paper
> and the amount of ink to use. Is there anything like that under Linux ?
> I need to print (colored) overhead-foils in best quality. Normally I
> like to print in economy mode.

AFAIK, the paper selections just set color curves, which is the main task
that the stcolor.ps file handles.  I'm not sure what "economy mode" is on
these printers, but on most, it's simply a lower resolution mode that puts
less ink on the page.  This can be accomplished with the color curves and
a resolution statement in Ghostscript.

As a practical matter, and AFAIK, in Linux the most convenient way to
handle this is to set up multiple printer spools.  For instance, for my
ESC 400, I have four spools:  epson180, epson360, epson, and epson720,
which print in increasing resolutions.  (The "epson" spool is actually
720x360, and "epson180" is 360x180; the others are squared resolutions as
their names imply.)  This works pretty well for me, though it doesn't give
the sort of job-by-job mix-and-match control that's possible under
Windows.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://php.indiana.edu/~rodsmith          "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove "uceprotect" from address to e-mail me

Post by Martin Lottermos » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: 2. Under do$/window$ there is a hp-software to choose the kind of paper
: and the amount of ink to use. Is there anything like that under Linux ?
: I need to print (colored) overhead-foils in best quality. Normally I
: like
: to print in economy mode.

I have recently released a ghostscript driver for several models of
HP DeskJets which supports both, selection of media type and of print
quality. It is available as
ftp://ftp.pdb.sni.de/pub/utilities/misc/hpdj-2.1.tar.gz.
However, if you expect the same quality for colour prints as you are
used to from HP's drivers you will be disappointed. See the README.hpdj
file for a discussion.

Martin Lottermoser
--

SNI AG - MP 5 GI
81730 Muenchen                 Tel.: +49 (89) 636-49905

hp deskjet 600: how to calibrate colors & print in economy mode ?

Post by Martin Lottermos » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: ...deleted...
: that the stcolor.ps file handles.  I'm not sure what "economy mode" is on
: these printers, but on most, it's simply a lower resolution mode that puts
: less ink on the page.  This can be accomplished with the color curves and
: a resolution statement in Ghostscript.

That's only half true. The two aspects of "economy mode" on DeskJets are a
lower resolution and less ink on the page, but these are independent. You
really need a separate PCL command to switch to "draft" mode if you want to
have less ink on the page. I believe the command reduces the number of passes
the print head performs over the medium.

: ...deleted...

Martin Lottermoser
--

SNI AG - MP 5 GI
81730 Muenchen                 Tel.: +49 (89) 636-49905
Germany                        Fax:  +49 (89) 636-41692

1. Q: Color printing on HP DeskJet 600

Can someone help me figure out how to print color on a HP DeskJet 600 ?

I've looked around at sunsite, but have not found anything that seems
to be exactly what I need. I assume I need a driver. (By the way, for
those who don't know, this printer is ink jet - not post script).

TIA.

--
  The day is short, and the work is great,     |   Aharon Schkolnik

  is great, and the Master of the house is     |
  impatient. - Ethics Of The Fathers Ch. 2     |

2. Printing Text to HP Laserjet SOLVED!!!

3. color printing with HP deskjet 600 ?

4. xfree-4.1 for Suse.

5. economy/draft mode printing with HP-DeskJet 695c in RH 6.1

6. Obtaining command line arguments outside main()

7. HP DeskJet 600 and econo-fast mode

8. Ethernet problems

9. HP deskjet 600 (Color Option), apsfilter and Linux

10. EconoFast mode with HP Deskjet 600 (or similar)

11. printing to HP deskjet 600

12. Printing with HP Deskjet 600

13. HELP REQUIRED: Setting up a HP Deskjet 600 to print postscript