Removeable devices How to force device name ?

Removeable devices How to force device name ?

Post by Schuber » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 03:08:24

I'm running SuSE 7.0 with 2.2.16 kernel.
On the system ( 3 HD, 2 CDROM, all SCSI ) there is also connected an
IOMEGA ZIP 250 and a SANDISK SDDR-31 C ( Reader Compact Flash Card, via
USB).
To include the modules during booting procedure I modified the file
boot.local by adding following lines:

/sbin/modprobe -v usb-storage
/sbin/modprobe -v imm

The modules are loaded and both devices are accessible.

The usb-storage is assigned to /dev/sdf1 and the ZipDrive to /dev/sde4.
What I do not understand is that the sequence of how to load the modules
( as indicated in boot.local) does not match the sequence the modules
are loaded. Otherwise the usb-storage should be assigned to sdex
(x=0,1,..) and not to /dev/sdf. What is the mechanism behind that ?

Sometimes the ZipDrive is not connected to the system.Then the
usb-storage is assigned to /dev/sde1 Nevertheless I want the usb-storage
to be assigned to /dev/sdf1. How can I force this ?

In fstab I declared the filesystem for the usb-storage as vfat. Then any
user can mount the usb-storage easily just by clicking on the icon in
the KDE environment.

Where can I find the documentation so that I can solve the problem, or
is there another simple solution ?

Many thanks for your advice

Best regards

Christian

1. Forcing Network Interfaces Device Names

Hello,

I have a laptop with 3 NICs installed.

1 Linksys USB Fast Ethernet NIC (rtl8150 based)
1 3COM 3CCFE575BT Fast Ethernet Cardbus NIC (3c59x based)
1 3COM 3CCFE575CT Fast Ethernet Cardbus NIC (3c59x based)

All cards work OK.

My problem is that I can't find a way to force the use of a certain
device name for a certain NIC.

I would like the following mapping:

PCMCIA Socket 0: eth0
PCMCIA Socket 1: eth1
USB Device 2 (NIC): eth2

However, my USB NIC always becomes eth0. I hate that.

This is pretty easy to force on AIX and Solaris but I couldn't find a
way to do the same on Linux.

NOTE: My modules.conf contains the correct aliases but these aliases
only seem to be used by module related commands (like modprobe), not
to assign device names... For example, I can "modprobe -r eth0" and
the 3c59x module will correctly be unloaded (if not currently used).

Could someone tell me how to do this please?

Thanks!

Mark

2. SMTP failure, please advise

3. How to inteprete device name for scsi devices.

4. Speed problem with 3.1

5. Device name for console devices?

6. Win millenium edition?

7. mapping device name and minor device number

8. Help:must run X as root

9. How are device names assigned to eth devices?

10. Which device /dev/rdsk belongs to device name ssd0?

11. device names given to USB devices on Linux

12. Reconciling device names with grub devices

13. What device names to use with hot-plugged USB devices?