Upper-Case Filenames on CD-Rom

Post by Trevor Gwinnet » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Guys,

I've got a strange little problem when reading CD's on my RedHat 5.1

All the filenames always appear in lower-case even though I know they
shouldn't be!  If I read the same CD on a SCO or HP-UX box then I get the
names in upper-case.

There is an install script on the CD which is refering to the <upper-case>
filenames, so of course the installation fails.

Any ideas what may be causing it?

Post by Alan J. Wyl » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I've got a strange little problem when reading CD's on my RedHat 5.1

> All the filenames always appear in lower-case even though I know they
> shouldn't be!  If I read the same CD on a SCO or HP-UX box then I get the
> names in upper-case.

But do you mount it on HP-UX using the vanilla mount, or
pfsd/pfs_mountd/pfs_mount ?

Quote:

> There is an install script on the CD which is refering to the <upper-case>
> filenames, so of course the installation fails.

> Any ideas what may be causing it?

Sounds like the you need to turn off Rock Ridge extensions when mounting
the CD - try "mount -o norock" or "-o map=off".

--
Alan J. Wylie                         http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk
My e-mail address should _not_ be modified.

Build a system that even an idiot can use,
and only an idiot will want to use it

Upper-Case Filenames on CD-Rom

Post by Satish Pagar » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

The same problemm occured with me in RH5.2 But now I hv installed
RH6.0 the problem is gone...

Satish/

> > I've got a strange little problem when reading CD's on my RedHat 5.1

> > All the filenames always appear in lower-case even though I know they
> > shouldn't be!  If I read the same CD on a SCO or HP-UX box then I get the
> > names in upper-case.

> But do you mount it on HP-UX using the vanilla mount, or
> pfsd/pfs_mountd/pfs_mount ?

> > There is an install script on the CD which is refering to the <upper-case>
> > filenames, so of course the installation fails.

> > Any ideas what may be causing it?

> Sounds like the you need to turn off Rock Ridge extensions when mounting
> the CD - try "mount -o norock" or "-o map=off".

> --
> Alan J. Wylie                         http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk
> My e-mail address should _not_ be modified.

> Build a system that even an idiot can use,
> and only an idiot will want to use it

--
:--------------------------------------------:
   Is it AIR that you BREATHE?

Satish K. Pagare, Software Engineer.
Visit me : http://satish.cjb.net
INFORMIX India Development Center, Tel:829 12 99 (extn. 545)
ICIL, Unit No:26, SDF-I, SEEPZ, Andheri(E), Mumbai - 400 096, INDIA.

Post by Alan J. Wyl » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I've got a strange little problem when reading CD's on my RedHat 5.1

> All the filenames always appear in lower-case even though I know they
> shouldn't be!  If I read the same CD on a SCO or HP-UX box then I get the
> names in upper-case.

But do you mount it on HP-UX using the vanilla mount, or
pfsd/pfs_mountd/pfs_mount ?

Quote:

> There is an install script on the CD which is refering to the <upper-case>
> filenames, so of course the installation fails.

> Any ideas what may be causing it?

Sounds like the you need to turn off Rock Ridge extensions when mounting
the CD - try "mount -o norock" or "-o map=off".

--
Alan J. Wylie                         http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk
My e-mail address should _not_ be modified.

Build a system that even an idiot can use,
and only an idiot will want to use it

1. CONVERTING lower-case to upper-case filenames?

        I'm transfering >50 megs of files from my flakey DOS machine to my
Linux machine over a serial line using zmodem. The flakey DOS machine crashes
every so often, so I need to use the crash-recovery features of zmodem.

        Unfortunately, DSZ on the DOS machine only sends upper-case
filenames, while RZ on the Linux machine writes lower-case filenames.
This means that when DSZ checks to see what files are already written, it
only looks for upper-case filenames, and because it doesn't see anything
it re-writes the files that were uploaded previously.

        I imagine that there's a way to rename all of the files on the Linux
machine (about 1000 of them) using a script. Anyone know how to do this?
"sed" seems like the proper tool, but I can't find any good
documentation on it.

        Much thanks to anyone who can help.

| Mark A. Pitcher |
                                                            "GUH!" - Bill Leeb

2. DHCP Problem

3. Change Upper case filename to lower case filename

4. What have I forgotten?

5. samba and NT: no upper-case filenames

6. smbd problems

7. Script to Convert Upper Case Filenames to Lower Case

8. 3ware nightmares

9. VI - Lower-case to Upper-case

10. mount cd rom on ALTOS SCO Unix in UPPER Case - Help!!!!

11. SUMMARY: change filename from upper to lower case?

12. change filename from upper to lower case?

13. Need script to change filenames to upper case