Setting Default Colour Depth in Linux RH5.1 - Help !

Setting Default Colour Depth in Linux RH5.1 - Help !

Post by Gary S Whit » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

    I was wondering if someone can let me know how to set the default colour
Depth in Linux RH5.1.  When I fire up 'startx', I always get 8bpp.

   Is there a way to make this permanent?

Cheers

Gary

Post by A » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>     I was wondering if someone can let me know how to set the default colour
> Depth in Linux RH5.1.  When I fire up 'startx', I always get 8bpp.

>    Is there a way to make this permanent?

> Cheers

> Gary

In your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, Section "Screen" for the server you
are using.  Here is a snippet of mine...

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "NEC Multisync XE15"
    DefaultColorDepth 16

    <-- Part of file omitted -->

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1024 768
    EndSubsection

    <-- Part of file omitted -->

Note the "DefaultColorDepth" line...

             Al

--

Setting Default Colour Depth in Linux RH5.1 - Help !

Post by Peter Granrot » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>     I was wondering if someone can let me know how to set the default colour
> Depth in Linux RH5.1.  When I fire up 'startx', I always get 8bpp.

>    Is there a way to make this permanent?

Easiest way:

login as root (or su)

cd /etc
echo "alias x='startx -- -bpp 16 & exit'" >> bashrc

logout, log in as your ordinary user and now you can just type 'x' to
start X in 16 bpp. (it also logs you out from the VC you issued the
command from, so you can remove the '& exit' part if you don't want
that to happen).

+         Peter Granroth         +  Microsoft is NOT the answer  +

+     http://granroth.ml.org     +       The answer is NO        +

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 >    I was wondering if someone can let me know how to set the default colour
 >Depth in Linux RH5.1.  When I fire up 'startx', I always get 8bpp.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config, find the appropriate Screen section and add
the declaration DefaultColorDepth 8/16/32 before the Subsections.
Otherwise, it's the depth of the *first* subsection that's treated as
the default depth.

Bob T.

Setting Default Colour Depth in Linux RH5.1 - Help !

Post by Bob Tenne » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 >>     I was wondering if someone can let me know how to set the default colour
 >> Depth in Linux RH5.1.  When I fire up 'startx', I always get 8bpp.
 >>
 >Easiest way:
 >
 >login as root (or su)
 >
 >cd /etc
 >echo "alias x='startx -- -bpp 16 & exit'" >> bashrc
 >
 >logout, log in as your ordinary user and now you can just type 'x' to
 >start X in 16 bpp.

This will only affect users using bash as their shell.  It really
should be done by each user in their own shell-initialization file(s)
such as $HOME/.bashrc.

Bob T.

Post by Paul Rudi » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>  >    I was wondering if someone can let me know how to set the default colour
>  >Depth in Linux RH5.1.  When I fire up 'startx', I always get 8bpp.

> In /etc/X11/XF86Config, find the appropriate Screen section and add
> the declaration DefaultColorDepth 8/16/32 before the Subsections.
> Otherwise, it's the depth of the *first* subsection that's treated as
> the default depth.

Although it seem that you can override this by putting

 exec X :0 -bpp 32

(or whatever) in the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc. Or each
user can put something similar in their ~/.xserverrc file if they want
to overide the system-wide default.

--

In the screen subsection of your card in XF86Config put in

DefaultColorDepth 16

Dave Lambert
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

1. RH5.2, xdm, setting color depth

Hello world,

When launching X from my ~/.bash_profile I do:
startx -- -bpp 16
and everything is peachy-keen.

If I use xdm, I get the default color depth.
I've read back and forth through
/etc/X11/xdm/*
and
/etc/X11/xinit/*
and can't find a place to put the -bpp 16 switch

Hints graciously accepted.
-P.

--
Peter L. Hurd

http://toaster2.zool.su.se/pete.html

2. Installing Linux on a Win95 machine.

3. How to set Backspace Key to work and default color depth to 16

4. Missing fonts.dir for PS Type1 fonts in "ar" locale...

5. Newbie question: setting default color depth

6. 3com 3c905

7. Set default color depth

8. booting solaris from CD

9. Help! set X server Color Depth

10. XF86 and YDL CS 1.2, setting color & bit-depth (help!)

11. HELP: Setting color depth, X86Config, SB clone

12. Default Color Depth

13. How to setup default color depth in X?