serial console: LILO+getty ok, kernel not ok

serial console: LILO+getty ok, kernel not ok

Post by Alexis Huxle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, I've got a Debian 2.2 (potato test) installation running 2.2.14.
I'm trying to get a serial line configured as the console on a very
old 486DX2/50.

I've:

        added 'serial = 1,9600n8' to the global section of lilo.conf.

        added 'append = "console=ttyS1,9600n8"' to the relevent kernel
        paragraph of lilo.conf.

        uncommented the 'T1' entry in /etc/inittab in order to start
        a getty on the appropriate serial line.

        made a new kernel with console on serial line support:

                root# grep SERIAL .config
                CONFIG_SERIAL=y
                CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
                # CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED is not set
                # CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD is not set

        rerun lilo, removed /etc/ioctl.save and rebooted.

What I see is this:

        The 'LILO boot:' prompt appears on the VGA console and on the
        serial console, then I get something like 'uncompressing
        kernel'. (So the part of the lilo.conf relating to lilo
        itself is functional.)

        The kernel messages do *not* appear on the serial console :-(
        instead I get a gentle non-stop stream of backwards question
        marks :-( No matter how long I wait this is all I get.

        The VGA console gets the messages but with some bits missing -
        e.g. the names of the modules being loaded appear, but when the
        'ne' module gets loaded for the NE2000 NIC, I don't get the
        '(C) Donald Becker ... IRQ ... IO ...' stuff appearing.

        The getty starts and I get a log in prompt.

I've referred again to the Serial-HOWTO and to
Documentation/serial-console.txt in the kernel sources, and to Debian-
specific mailing lists and I cannot see anything wrong in what I've
done.

If I comment out the 'append' line then there is no problem; I can
interact with lilo before the kernel gets called, and I can use the
getty when it starts up, but the kernel messages don't appear of course.

Has anybody any ideas why the kernel fails to send its messages to the
serial console when both lilo and getty can do it? I would have thought
this indicated an error in the 'append' but I can't see it.

Many thanks!

Alexis

Incidentally, when I was making the kernel I wound up making it twice.
Which of 'make mrproper' and 'make depend' do I need to do the *second*
time round? (Having made a change to the .config, one would thing the
Makefiles would successfully minimise what has to be rebuilt, but I
seem to always get the make bombing out unless I clean right up and
start again (having saved the .config)).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

I am trying to setup Postscript support for printing with lpr on a Laserjet 4L.
I have modified printcap and written a filter using ghostscript, but not
success.  Can somebody help?  Here is my setup:
printcap:       lpps|hpljet3:\
                        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
                        :sd=/usr/spool/lp1:\
                        :sh:\
                        :sf:\
                        :mx#0:\
                        :of=/usr/spool/lp1/hpps:
hpps:           gs -q -sDEVICE=ljet3 -sOutputFile=- -

When I use "cat file.ps | hpps | lpr" (with my text-only lp setup) it works ok,
but when I try to use "lpr -Plpps file.ps" I get "Ghostscript: Unrecoverable
error, exit code 1".  Any ideas?

bruno

2. Video setup in X-Windows

3. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok

4. Gimmick mode

5. Modem Problems: dial-out is ok/dial-in is not ok (Solaris 2.6)

6. AIX - Win95 PPP

7. what service is provided on port 137?

8. Ping ok, netscape, gftp, lynx not ok

9. AWE32 NOT DETECTED PNP OK PNP OK

10. Ethernet on 43P: ok on hub, not ok on switch

11. 2x IDE-HD ok+1x Mits.4x CDROM NOT ok!

12. 2.1.35 /PNP OK/SB OK but AWE32 not