RedHat 5.0, PCMCIA, Compaq LTE 5250, Docking Station

RedHat 5.0, PCMCIA, Compaq LTE 5250, Docking Station

Post by Terry L Ridde » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello;

I have been attempting to debug this for a little over two weeks
and have searched many archives for possible answers.

Hardware Background:
Compaq LTE 5250
   32 MB RAM
   2 PCMCIA cards
       3Com EtherLink III Combo Card
       MegaHertz Network/Modem Card
   2 IDE 810 MB harddrives
   Infra Red Port disabled

Dockstation
   1 NE2000 Ethernet Card
   1 Floppy
   1 CD-ROM
   1 PCMCIA Card
       Adaptec Slimline SCSI Card
   Infra Rad Port disabled

External SCSI Chassis
   3 1GB SCSI harddrives
   1 Exabyte 8200 8mm Tape Drive

OS Background:
   RedHat 5.0/Intel fresh install
   RedHat 5.0 Errata updates applied

Kernel:
   Original RedHat 5.0 Installation Kernel

Partitions:
   /dev/hda1 == /
   /dev/hda5 == /usr
   /dev/hda6 == swap
   /dev/hdb1 == /home
   /dev/hdc  == CD-ROM
   /dev/fd0  == Floppy
   /dev/sda1 == 1GB ext2fs
   /dev/sdb1 == 1GB ext2fs
   /dev/sdc1 == 1GB ext2fs

PCMCIA Cards:
   MegaHertz PCMCIA Ethernet/Modem -- Model XJEM1144
       10Mbps Lan Adapter
       14.4/14.4kbps Data/FAX

   3Com EtherLink III -- Model 3C589C

   Adaptec SlimSCSI -- Model APA-1460A

   MegaHertz PCMCIA 33.6Kbps Modem -- Model XJ4336
       Have not tried this card yet.

PCMCIA Controller:
   According to NT
   Cirrus Logic I/O range 0x3E0 - 0x3E1
   Memory Range 0xD0000 - 0xD3FFF

Problem:
   When PCMCIA services are enabled
   /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia edited to enabled PCMCIA services
   I am unable to mount the cdrom.
   I receive numerous error messages stating the interrupt timeout
   occurred.

   The network works fine, scsi access is fine, modem works.

   when PCMCIA services are disabled
   I am able to mount the cdrom.

   With the the cdrom mounted, edit /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia and
   enable PCMCIA.

   Issue command  '/etc/init.d/pcmcia start'
   network starts, scsi access is fine, modem works

   Now issue any command which attempts to access the mounted
   cdrom (/dev/hdc) and I receive either the same numerous
   interrupt timeout error messages or the laptop
   just hangs.

   Under both conditions 'lsmod' lists what should have been
   loaded.

What Does Work:
   As far as I can tell nearly everything else works.
   XF86_SVGA X-server works with a very edited XF86Config.
   The keyboard eraser mouse works fine.
   Even the sound works.
   Virtual console switching works.

What I have tried:
   Loaded MS-DOS/Win3.11 and ran Compaq Diagnostic programs.
   The laptop checks out the dockstation is not tested
   however.

   Using Compaq provided CardWizard verified that the
   configuration of each recognized PCMCIA card.

   Using 3Com driver/configuration software verified that
   the EtherLink III was configured and working.

   CardWizard verified no IRQ conflicts and no I/O Port
   conflicts.

   Loaded NT-4.0 with service pack 3 - everything works
   but the network which I figure is an NT problem and not
   the hardware.

   Downloaded the latest PCMCIA code from David Hind's
   PCMCIA Web Page, compiled, and installed. No difference.

   Compiled a new kernel with the same config as the Installation
   kernel. No difference.

   Using a Compaq Elite 4/75C with SmartStation (Docking Station)
   removed harddrives from LTE 5250 and booted the Elite 4/75C,
   different PCMCIA cards, and different CD-ROM. Problem moved
   with harddrives.

Question:
   What am I missing?

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

 When the toast is burnt
 and all the milk has turned
 and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
 when the Big One finds you
 may this song remind you that they
 don't serve breakfast in hell
 ==Breakfast==Newsboys

1. Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL docking station problems

Hello,

I have a Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL running Linux 2.0.20 (quite well,
actually) and XFree86. (Slackware 96) I also have a mini-dock,
which has an ethernet card and a SCSI adapter.

The generic kernel recognized the ethernet card but came up with scsi: 0 hosts.
The 2.0.20 kernel did not recognizedthe ethernet card no matter how many drivers I included that looked at all promising (it detected an Intel chip).

My questions: does anyone know what ethernet card driver and SCSI card
driver I should select to use the Compaq SCSI and ethernet cards in
my docking stations? Any if all else fails, can anyone recommend a
cheap, slow PCMCIA CD-ROM that works with Linux that I can use to install
Red Hat 4.0?

Thanks in advance. I already checked the Linux laptop survey and though
there was an entry for this Compaq I could not contact the person who
wrote it.

regards,
kd

2. windows compadibility.

3. Compaq LTE Docking Station to Ether Driver ?

4. Triton II chipset

5. Solaris 2.6 & Compaq LTE 5250 questions.

6. radix_tree_extend()

7. Compaq LTE 5250 with a Cirrus CLGD7543, X-Config?

8. Help : How to FLUSH a read buffer ?

9. XFree86 3.1.2G config for Compaq LTE 5250 ??

10. Compaq LTE 5250 - what video chipset?

11. How do I access Compaq docking station?

12. *HELP* Does Solaris 2.4 x86 support Compaq Docking Station??

13. Compaq Evo N600c, docking station