Samba with Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Artur Undebarren » Sun, 27 May 2001 02:41:18

Hello all.

I only want to configure my  Suse linux 7.0 machine and Windows 2000
Professional to access from Win2000 to Linux. Not the printers. The
printers are not important for me.From Win2000 I want  to see the
contents of the directory tree in linux machine. From windows 2000 I
only see the Icon but when I double-click the icon a dialog box appears
to tell me that I haven't permission to access to this machine. I login
into linux as root and into Windows 2000 as Administrator.
I don't know what happen because I think I setup all resourcess as
public, browseable and writable. More public impossible, I think. The
way to connect is as workgroup, not as domain.

Thank you very much.

Samba with Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Panasoni » Sun, 27 May 2001 03:48:20

http://redhat.com/apps/support/

Quote:> Hello all.

> I only want to configure my  Suse linux 7.0 machine and Windows 2000
> Professional to access from Win2000 to Linux. Not the printers. The
> printers are not important for me.From Win2000 I want  to see the
> contents of the directory tree in linux machine. From windows 2000 I
> only see the Icon but when I double-click the icon a dialog box appears
> to tell me that I haven't permission to access to this machine. I login
> into linux as root and into Windows 2000 as Administrator.
> I don't know what happen because I think I setup all resourcess as
> public, browseable and writable. More public impossible, I think. The
> way to connect is as workgroup, not as domain.

> Thank you very much.

Samba with Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 27 May 2001 12:49:10

Hi!,

Quote:> I only want to configure my  Suse linux 7.0 machine and Windows 2000
> Professional to access from Win2000 to Linux. Not the printers. The
> printers are not important for me.From Win2000 I want  to see the
> contents of the directory tree in linux machine. From windows 2000 I
> only see the Icon but when I double-click the icon a dialog box appears
> to tell me that I haven't permission to access to this machine. I login
> into linux as root and into Windows 2000 as Administrator.
> I don't know what happen because I think I setup all resourcess as
> public, browseable and writable. More public impossible, I think. The
> way to connect is as workgroup, not as domain.

You need to either apply the registry patch which comes with SAMBA to tell
Win2000 to send plaintext passwords to samba or you need to tell SAMBA that it
is to expect "encrypt passwords = yes".  This will solve your access problems
from Win2000 to the Linux server.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Samba with Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 28 May 2001 22:21:16

Quote:

> Hi!,

>> I only want to configure my  Suse linux 7.0 machine and Windows 2000
>> Professional to access from Win2000 to Linux.
> You need to either apply the registry patch which comes with SAMBA to tell
> Win2000 to send plaintext passwords to samba or you need to tell SAMBA that it
> is to expect "encrypt passwords = yes".  This will solve your access problems
> from Win2000 to the Linux server.

In addition to setting the "encrypt password" parameter in smb.conf,
it's necessary to add encrypted passwords to Linux's Samba printer
database. This is done as follows:

smbpasswd -a username

Substitute the appropriate username for "username", of course. This
account must already exist as a regular user account; you can't give
access to users who don't exist in Linux. (You can map different Windows
and Linux usernames, by using the "username map" parameter to point to a
file with these associations, though.)

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

1. Samba / Windows 2000 Professional issues

Hello,

I'm having Samba / Windows 2000 workstation sp2 (and all other recent
updates from the M$ OS update page).  My problem seems to be that the
password is not being transmitted correctly to the Samba server.  I keep
getting a message that says "User name or password incorrect".  Here are
some things I have verified / checked :

1.  Hacking the Win2k "enableplaintextpassword" registry value to "1",
        and making sure that "encrypt passwords = yes" is commented out of the
        smb.conf file.  I did re-boot after haking the reg, and I did stop,
        and re-start the samba server after chaning smb.conf.
2.  I checked OS level rights on the folder I'm trying to share with Samba,
        and it's set to ugo+rwx
3.  Samba is looking in the correct location for the smb.conf file
4.  Port 139 is open on my Linux firewall

The version of Samba I'm using is 2.2.1a

I am able to successfully mount the same Samba share from Windows NT
Workstation 4.0 sp6a, and Windows 98se.

This is not a Red Hat specific problem, as it seems to be broken on the
following platforms I've tested:

OpenBSD 2.9
FreeBSD 4.4
Red Hat 7.1

Win2k can actually see the share, it's just that the password isn't being
accepted.  Everything is in place on the Win2k side, and on the Linux side
as far as passwords go.  It's just flat not working.

If anyone would be so kind as to offer advice, please send it to

Now I need to vent:
I feel that I've tried enough different angles with this issue to call
Samba's Windows 2000 support damaged, if not broken.  Windows is selling a
product called Windows SFU (Services For Unix).  Makes me wonder if Samba
isn't being broken on the M$ end intentionally.  Sounds like something M$
would do.  Why the hell doesn't M$ package NFS support with Windows 2000
professional, and Win2k Server anyway??  Why charge $150.00 for SFU??  They
package IPX support, and Apple Talk support, my guess would be that there
are as many NFS users as there are Netware, and Apple Talk users.  Another
weekend wasted.

Thanks,
Bill Bertram

2. missing /dev/pcmcia after install mandrake 8.2

3. What version os Samba should I use for Windows 2000 Professional cl

4. How to run executable on Linux?

5. What version os Samba should I use for Windows 2000 Professional clients?

6. How to get text file of man page

7. Redhat 6.0 (Samba shared printers) + Windows 2000 Professional (beta 3) == NO GO!

8. deny access to user

9. WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL SETUP ISSUE (WITH LINUX)

10. Newbie - Multiboot for RH Linux 8 and Windows 2000 Professional

11. Installing Red Hat Linux 7 and Windows 2000 Professional

12. Sharing Data between Linux and Windows 2000 professional

13. Windows 2000 Professional / WD 45 GB HD / Red Hat 7.1