***** Moving Linux to a new hard disk

Post by (Nick » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

*****  Moving Linux to a new hard disk

I currently have Red Hat 5.1 Linux along with LILO in a primary
partition of my second hard disk (hdb1).  I'd like to move it to an
extended partition of a third hard disk (hdc5).

1.  How can I copy over the contents of my Linux partition to the new
drive?  Can you please tell me the procedure and also what program
(hopefully one that came with RH5.1) I can use to accomplish this?

2.  How will I be able to access the new drive to edit and reinstall
LILO?  Will I have to use the floppy, or will that not work either?

3.  What will I need to change beside fstab and lilo.conf?

4.  How do I reinstall LILO in my Linux partition, not the MBR?

Thanks to whoever can help me.

Nick

***** Moving Linux to a new hard disk

Post by digitalunit » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

if the drives have identical geometries, you could just cat hda >> hdb
or whatever your drives are. if they're not, i don't think it would
work. you will get an exact drive copy, partition table and all. have
not tried this yet, so you might read up on cat first...

digitalunity to the rescue!, sort of.
ps:the only way to fix it is to flush it all away

> *****  Moving Linux to a new hard disk

> I currently have Red Hat 5.1 Linux along with LILO in a primary
> partition of my second hard disk (hdb1).  I'd like to move it to an
> extended partition of a third hard disk (hdc5).

> 1.  How can I copy over the contents of my Linux partition to the new
> drive?  Can you please tell me the procedure and also what program
> (hopefully one that came with RH5.1) I can use to accomplish this?

> 2.  How will I be able to access the new drive to edit and reinstall
> LILO?  Will I have to use the floppy, or will that not work either?

> 3.  What will I need to change beside fstab and lilo.conf?

> 4.  How do I reinstall LILO in my Linux partition, not the MBR?

> Thanks to whoever can help me.

> Nick

1. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

Simple.

1) create a lilo boot disk with lilo, and the kernel on it (email me if you
   need to know how to do this too)

2) install the new drive in the system, create a filesystem on it, and
   mount it on, say, /mnt

3) copy the filesystem over, making sure to preserve permissions, and
   exclude /mnt and /proc.  Some ways to do this are

cp -a -x / /mnt
        note that the -x means only stay on one filesystem, so if you
        normally have more than one filesystem mounted, you'll need to copy
        those over, too.

( cd / ; tar --atime-preserve -l -p --same-owmer -v -cf - / ) | ( cd /mnt ;
tar --atime-preserve -p --same-owner -xf - )
        but all as one line...

4) after veryfying everything looks good, you can remove the old system,
   reboot off of the boot disk, and re-install lilo on the new disk.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

2. new to programming on unix (parse error?)

3. Moving Linux to a new hard disk?

4. Info to become an ISP

5. Moving Linux to a new hard disk

6. cpufreq: longhaul cleanup

7. *** MOVING LINUX TO A NEW HARD DISK

8. HELP: Mach64, Tried Everything

9. ***** Moving Linux to a new hard disk

10. Moving root disk to new hard drive

11. Help - moving SCO 3.2v4.2 to new hard disk