newbie needs MAJOR help with slackware UMSDOS install

newbie needs MAJOR help with slackware UMSDOS install

Post by Brad Mart » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I am having some serious trouble trying to install Linux.  UMSDOS just does
not seem to be working.  I am installing on a Western Digital 1.2 Gb HD (Which
DOS requires a driver to see..)that has two partitions already: WIN95 on 1,
and everything else on the other.  I can't repartition because I don't have
the hardware to do a backup.  (Is FIPS REALLY reliable?)  The install seems to
go fine, it goes on the second partition (/dev/hda5), but then when I do
setup, weird things start happening.  I would like to boot Linux from a floppy
and keep Win95 boot the way it is.  I tell it to make me a boot disk, it says
ok and doesn't even look at the floppy, I figure maybe it has to be in Linux
format like the boot/root disks (stupid??) so I tell it to format and it tells
me its done within a second.  The disk does not work.  So I tell it to boot
from my HD, and LILO setup asks where is Linux.  It says here is what you have
to choose from: <blank>. How do I tell it to recognize UMSDOS and not a
partition? I try to go on, and when i reboot, it says "Starting Windows 95".
Im sure these seem like stupid questions, but I know nothing about Linux.

        So tell me, is there any hope for my computer?  Can I escape from the
evil clutches of MicroSoft?  Or has my computer been assimilated without hope?

Thanks in advance,
Brad Martin
<Signature in development>

newbie needs MAJOR help with slackware UMSDOS install

Post by Garrett Sco » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I had the same problem with UMSDOS....

The solution that I did was to boot Linux with my original install
boot disk - the at the 'boot:'  prompt typed 'mount root=/dev/(your
partition goes here)'

Then after it loads Linux and you login correctly...  put a different
disk in the drive and type:
        rdev vmlinuz /dev/(your partition goes here)
        rdev -R vmlinuz 0
        dd if=vmlinuz bs=8192 of=/dev/fd0

The it should boot linux when the disk is in the drive.. and W95 when
it isn't.  :)

I did it without using different partitions- so I hope this works for
you.

----
Garrett Scott

|Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the leased|
|    line, off the bridge, past the firewall... nothing but Net.   |
----

Quote:>I am having some serious trouble trying to install Linux.  UMSDOS just does

Post by Dave Westerm » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I am having some serious trouble trying to install Linux.  UMSDOS just does
>not seem to be working.  I am installing on a Western Digital 1.2 Gb HD (Which
>DOS requires a driver to see..)

This is your problem right there.  Linux will not work with a dynamic
drive overlay (at least none that I have heard of).  Your best bet (to
run Linux off your system) is to upgrade to a motherboard that
supports LBA mode.

Unfortunately, the overlays that come with (most?) drives are only
designed for DOS-type OS's.  Until you can find a way to run without
one, you're out of luck.  Sorry... :(

Dave Westerman.

=========
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1441
http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/astral.html

Yes!  I do web page design! :)
=========

1. Install / Config newbie needs major help, pleeease

I am soooo new to this realm of computing but have been given the task of
installing Solaris 8 on 2 Sun Ultra 10 boxes and I really need some help.  I
got 2 static IPs and followed the installation menus, entered the IP address
and the subnet mask, it never asked me for the default gateway.  We are not
using a name service.  It seemed like the install went well, but nothing
seems to work...

When it boots up I get the error "unable to qualify my own domain name"

And, I can't ping anything, or connect to the internet - the computers are
part of the university network (I am a student in my senior year majoring in
CS and I work here now.)

Blindly, based on other posts I found, I created a file in
/etc/defaultrouter and put the default gateway in there

it still doesn't work.

Can someone please either tell me what to do... where to look.....maybe a
good book to buy for newbies installing Solaris 8/Apache Web Server (that
will be my next task).... something, anything ?

your help is greatly appreciated  :)
If I am on the wrong forum for this, can someone please tell me what the
right forum should be?

thanx,
--pina

2. incorrect process start time

3. Newbie needs help installing Slackware 3.4

4. DNS

5. Need Help with Slackware based UMSDOS Installation

6. Updated VGASET for 2Mb ATI Mach64 / Vivitron 1572 Monitor?

7. Slackware 3.4 MAJOR install problems. Please Help!

8. Redhat 5.2 & Dell Inspiron 7000

9. Slackware 3.4 - MAJOR install problems! Please Help!

10. NEED MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST!

11. Need MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST

12. Newbie: need *MAJOR* help with Toshiba

13. Newbie that needs MAJOR help with X