Installing Windows 95, Windows NT & Linux on same hard disk

Installing Windows 95, Windows NT & Linux on same hard disk

Post by Alex Le » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

    I have a 4.3 gig hard disk in my office which I split into 3
partitions. The rough layout of the partitions are in this manner:

    1 Primary partition assigned to Windows 95    C Drive    2 Gig
    1 Extended
partition                                                        2 Gig
    1 Logical partition assigned to Windows NT    D Drive   1 1 Gig
    1 Logical partition reserved for Linux               E Drive   1 1
Gig

    According to above, I have already installed Windows 95 and Windows
NT. After booting up from linux boot and root disk, I run fdisk and did
a check on my partition table. What I saw was only the primary partition
and the extended partition but no logical partitions was shown. Since it
did not show me the logical drives, I couldn't select anything for my
linux native or linux swap. I'm wondering if there's a way to get linux
fdisk to show me the logical drives so that I can install Linux to it.

    Anyway, if any of you has experienced installing all 3 Operating
Systems on the same hard disk, can you tell me how to work around this
or tell me how to get it done so that I can have all 3 OS installed on
the same hard disk.

Alex

Post by ys.. » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Hello,

You got to make sure that the partition you have made is under Linux partion.
Don't format under DOS fdisk. After you created the logical partition under
linux, you can safely install the Linux, good luck.

Edmon

--
YuCheng Song                Tel:  (312)2415668
Dept. of Geophysical Sciences   Fax : (312) 7029505

Post by Neil Ricke » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>    I have a 4.3 gig hard disk in my office which I split into 3
>partitions. The rough layout of the partitions are in this manner:
>    1 Primary partition assigned to Windows 95    C Drive    2 Gig
>    1 Extended
>partition                                                        2 Gig
>    1 Logical partition assigned to Windows NT    D Drive   1 1 Gig
>    1 Logical partition reserved for Linux               E Drive   1 1
>Gig
>    According to above, I have already installed Windows 95 and Windows
>NT. After booting up from linux boot and root disk, I run fdisk and did
>a check on my partition table. What I saw was only the primary partition
>and the extended partition but no logical partitions was shown.

Standards - rules to be followed by everyone, except microsoft who
changes the rules as part of their tactics to rule the world.

The extended partition should have type code 05.  Chances are it has
a different type code, perhaps 0e, as part of a change of rules
introduced unilaterally by Microsoft.

If you are adept at binary editing, you might copy the partition
table to a file (dd if=/dev/hda of=file count=1), and edit it with a
binary editor (bpe) to change the type code of the extended partition
to 5.  Then copy it back (dd if=file of=/dev/hda count=1).

Otherwise, your best choice is to delete the extended partition in
linux fdisk, then recreate it and the logical drives.  You will have
to reinstall NT to do that.  If you do, then for safety you should
remember reformat the NT partition during the reinstall.

Post by Charles Yun » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi!

>     I have a 4.3 gig hard disk in my office which I split into 3
> partitions. The rough layout of the partitions are in this manner:

>     1 Primary partition assigned to Windows 95    C Drive    2 Gig
>     1 Extended
> partition                                                        2 Gig
>     1 Logical partition assigned to Windows NT    D Drive   1 1 Gig
>     1 Logical partition reserved for Linux               E Drive   1 1
> Gig

>     According to above, I have already installed Windows 95 and Windows
> NT. After booting up from linux boot and root disk, I run fdisk and did
> a check on my partition table. What I saw was only the primary partition
> and the extended partition but no logical partitions was shown. Since it
> did not show me the logical drives, I couldn't select anything for my
> linux native or linux swap. I'm wondering if there's a way to get linux
> fdisk to show me the logical drives so that I can install Linux to it.

>     Anyway, if any of you has experienced installing all 3 Operating
> Systems on the same hard disk, can you tell me how to work around this
> or tell me how to get it done so that I can have all 3 OS installed on
> the same hard disk.

> Alex

  I have 6 OSs installed on my 5.1G as shown:

Primary 1 with MSDOS, Win95, WinNT
Primary 2 with SCO
Primary 3 as Extended with
     logical 5 as OS2 HPFS (OS/2 system drive)
     logical 6 as Linux native
     logical 7 as NTFS data drive
     logical 8 as HPFS data drive
Primary 4 as OS/2 Boot Manager.

Since I have SCO installed. I have to config the system to boot into SCO
loader first. From the SCO loader, I can decide to boot SCO, DOS or OS/2
Boot Manager (select which primary partition to boot). For Linux, I have to
boot Primary 4 as OS/2 Boot manager. Then, from the OS/2 Boot Manager, I
can boot Linux' logical partition. I need to have LILO installed in the
Linux logical partition to boot the Linux vmlinuz kernel image. As a
result, it does take a lot booting to get into Linux.

Installing Windows 95, Windows NT & Linux on same hard disk

Post by Tom Westbroo » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[snip]
Quote:> Since I have SCO installed. I have to config the system to boot into SCO
> loader first.

[snip]

It is fairly easy to boot SCO (including all the other OS's mentioned)
using LILO without all this complexity.

From my /etc/lilo.conf:

other = /dev/sda2
  table = /dev/sda
  label = sco
other = /dev/sda3
  table = /dev/sda
  label = nt

Works like a dream.
--
 Tom Westbrook
 Minneapolis, MN USA

1. I want Linux, Windows 95 & Windows NT all on C:

maybe also old DOS/Windows 3.11 and OS/2 all on one 2.1Gb drive in my
notebook PC.

I plan to use Linux with the UMSDOS filesystem to prevent the need for a
seperate Linux partition.

Can someone who knows about lilo and other multi boot utilities tell me
what my options are? At the moment I use Windows 95 and Linux both on
C:, but without lilo. If I want to start Linux I restart the machine in
DOS mode and then run small .bat file that contains:

c:\loadlinx.exe c:\linux\vmlinuz root=c: rw

If I want to start Linux from a cold boot I hit F8 when Windows 95 starts
and boot to a DOS prompt and then run the bat file.

What multi-boot utilities can handle Linux, Windows 95 and NT, allowing
you to change which one boots by default, and also giving you an option
to hit a key when booting and choose whatever system you want?

2. Netscape and dejanews

3. Delete Windows 95, Install Windows NT and Linux

4. Does anybody has a keyboard map for WordPerfect?

5. Minimum Hard Ware Requirement for Windows NT,95,Dos & linex,

6. Apache on DG UX

7. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server

8. XFree86 SVGA Question

9. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

10. Solaris, Windows NT, Window 95, Linux boot question

11. Linux on Windows 95 or Windows NT?

12. Linux V.S. Windows NT V.S. Windows 95