solved redhat 5.2 install problem, kernel panic...

solved redhat 5.2 install problem, kernel panic...

Post by Jim Fiocc » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

== PROBLEM ==
Can't install redhat linux 5.2 on brand new AMD K2-2/350 system.

== SYMPTOMS ==
Each time I get to the point where I have chosen all the packages I want
to install, it starts transferring files from CD-ROM to my hard drive,
and about 10-20% into the copying process, the file transfers slow way
down, the CD-ROM and the hard disk sound like they are working very
hard.  Then I may or may not get some warnings of the form "<file> load
failed - bad file descriptor", or "<file> failed, execution of script
failed", or "<file> failed, I/O error".  After about an hour of this, I
usually get the following fatal error: "kernel panic: VFS: can not mount
root fs on 08:22".

After each attempt, I run WDDIAG (which came with my new Western Digital
hard drive), and it finds between 9 and 186 bad sectors.  Each time,
WDDIAG is able to 'repair' all the bad sectors, and then I try again.

== SOLUTION ==
I found my problem!  It was the CD-ROM drive!  It was a Digital Research
36x, $50 at CompUSA.  I put in an old 4x drive and linux install booted
and completed flawlessly.  Then I went out and bought a name-brand fast
CD-ROM drive (Creative Labs 48x).  Linux install failed to boot from the
CD-ROM, but after booting from floppy, install completed with a few
errors of the form "package xyz failed".  Then I went and bought another
CD-ROM drive, this one an Acer 40x that said ATAPI on it ($80 at
CompUSA).  This one also failed to boot linux install, but after booting
from floppy, it installed with no errors.

Linux seems to be really picky about the new fast CD-ROM drives.  I'm
keeping the Acer.  I successfully installed linux and Windows 98, and can
boot either from LILO.  Now comes the linux configuration fun...

Regards,
 Jim

Post by Marc Ledauphi » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> == PROBLEM ==
> Can't install redhat linux 5.2 on brand new AMD K2-2/350 system.

and very interresting things

Quote:

> Regards,
>  Jim

I have this problem, but I suspect the memory or the mother board: Windows
98 can't be installed (DPMI error)
(CD40X and Pentium II 400)

Marc Ledauphin

1. Redhat 5.2 Problems with Installation: Kernel Panic....

I have tried repeatedly to install Redhat 5.2 (using the floppy) but I
continue to get the following messages after which the machine completely
hangs...

RAMDISK:Compressed image found at block 0
crc error VFS: cannot open root device 08:22
Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:22

The 'real' installation program does not even start from there onward.

I am currently still running WIN98.
My machine has 128mByte Ram

I created correct partitions for Linux (starting prior to Cylinder 524). I
have installed Debian Linux (old version) and it installs correctly.

Would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks in advance,

Autometic

2. Mitsumi Cd-ROM / Sb-Awe 32 Problems !

3. Kernel panic - raid 1 and redhat 5.2

4. No sgtty.h file in /usr/include

5. RH 5.2 kernel upgrade "Kernel Panic: no init found"

6. linux says: no modem

7. compiling and installing new kernel in RedHat 5.2

8. Increase partition size

9. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2

10. Problems with RedHat 5.2 and kernel 2.2.1

11. Redhat 5.2 compiling the kernel problems

12. Problem with cxterm5.0.p3 on RedHat Linux 5.2, kernel 2.0.36

13. Problem with shadow - redhat 5.2 - kernel 2.2