"CUPS Server Not Running" error, but it is running!

"CUPS Server Not Running" error, but it is running!

Post by Casey Brall » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 23:40:17

I have suddenly started having trouble printing from KDE 2.2.2
(SuSE 7.2).

My print jobs sit forever in que, with the message "processing".
"gs" (ghostscript?) shows up hogging the cpu.  I get the "CUPS
Server Not Running" error message when I try to manage the print
que from KDE control panel.   Oddly, however, CUPS *is* running,
and I can print from text sessions.

I've tried re-installing ghostscript, CUPS, and all the drivers.
Anybody have any suggestions of what else to try?
--
J R Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence

1. cupsd running, but cups server "unavailable"

"lpstat -s" returns:

no system default destination
lpstat: get-classes failed: server-error-service-unavailable
lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable

cupsd is running, but something must not be configured properly.

When booting, the two printers lp0 and lp1 are correctly identified,
but I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot here.  The loopback
service (127.0.0.1) is up, which I gather is critical, but what
else should I check?

TIA for whatever any of you can suggest.

|\|.

2. sound cards: audigy or santa cruz

3. Interface "UP" but not "RUNNING"

4. Why a Penguin?

5. Any "ready-to-run" projects for "servers" available?

6. (no subject)

7. Got the error "no such device" when run "setserial" command.

8. How to change the 1st letter of a filename to uppercase by sh script???

10. run time error "lio: unformatted io not allowed"

11. "Unknown server error" when running dip

12. "ERROR: KFM is not running" when starting kedit, kview from kfm

13. Run C shell with "rlogin" and/or "xterm" commands