IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Cosmo Le » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:19:00

RH 7.1, Intel

If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
the IDE drive.

Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
drive as my extra non-boot drive?

I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
addressing the issue.

TIA.

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by kyi » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:13:18

As far as I know NO. I have in my system, 1 - 14g ide, 3 - 10k 9.1g scsi
drives. I have not been able to get the scsi drives to be the boot drive in
this configuretion even though my bois has a option to boot from scsi
instead of ide. What I have done to get around this, sorta, is to make a
small 50Mb /boot partition on the ide drive and then make my scsi drives the
/ or what ever I want them to be. The rest of my 14g ide drive is mounted as
/home, but you can make yours what ever you want to. Below is what my
'df -h' looks like.

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5             2.9G  800M  2.0G  28% /
/dev/sda6             5.5G  840M  4.3G  16% /usr/local
/dev/hda5              45M  1.3M   41M   3% /boot
/dev/hda7             478M   51M  403M  12% /var
/dev/hda8              13G  7.4G  5.2G  59% /home
/dev/sdb1             8.5G   33M  8.5G   1% /usr/local/wine

As you can see my 3rd scsi drive is not mounted as I can't figure out where
I need to mount it. I might use LVM to add to the current mount points, but
thats another story. I hope that all helps.

-kyi

Quote:> RH 7.1, Intel

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> the IDE drive.

> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

> I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
> addressing the issue.

> TIA.

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Johan Kullsta » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:07:40

> RH 7.1, Intel

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot
> from the IDE drive.

this depends upon the motherboard boot bios.

Quote:> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

it depends.  some mobos can, others can't.  this feature is more
common on more modern boards than older ones.

Quote:> I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
> addressing the issue.

i am not sure what the problem is.  at home i have a dual boot with
windows on an ide drive and linux on a scsi drive.  i direct lilo to
plant itself on the mbr of the ide drive.  other than that, everything
linux is on the scsi drive.  what is it you are trying to do?

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m

sysengr

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Ian Northeas » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:23:43

> RH 7.1, Intel

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> the IDE drive.

> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

Yes, no problem. I am booting from SCSI and have a large[1] IDE for low
cost slow storage. The system is loosely RH5.2, with several upgrades,
but it has done this for some time, certainly since before I upgraded
the kernel to 2.2. So it doesn't need to be that new.

The only considerations are:

You have to set the BIOS to not boot from IDE;

You need to tell Lilo that you don't want to boot from the IDE, or it
will consider it the "first" disk and write a bad MBR (it will warn):

disk=/dev/sda
        bios=0x80

(assuming you want to boot from sda).

One thing I havn't managed is to get the system to boot from the IDE CD
I have, then the SCSI disk if there isn't a CD in the drive. I think
this is just a restriction specific to my BIOS (Abit BX6). It's not
important.

Regards, Ian

[1] It was large when I got it. 18Gb isn't large now:)

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Mark VanBogar » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:30:18

I think it depends on the motherboard.  Some motherboards will allow SCSI
booting first, IIRC.  I think if you set the board to boot SCSI first and
don't autodetect the IDE, you can still use the IDE drives because the
kernel tries to detect the IDE drives anyway.

Quote:> RH 7.1, Intel

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> the IDE drive.

> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

> I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
> addressing the issue.

> TIA.

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by YiPP » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 06:35:16

it IS most definately possible to boot into SCSI drive even with IDE's.
look into it.

> RH 7.1, Intel

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> the IDE drive.

> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

> I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
> addressing the issue.

> TIA.

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:03:54

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> the IDE drive.

No.

Quote:> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

That has never been the case.  I suspect you are thinking of the
PC BIOS defaults which insist on booting from an IDE device if
one is present.  To work around this, you merely tell the BIOS
that you have no IDE devices connected so it doesn't bother to
scan for them.  The PC can then boot from the SCSI device.  Once
the the linux kernel is loaded, the real-mode BIOS device support
is replaced by linux protected mode device support, which will
detect and use the IDE device (provided you have included the
necessary support code/modules when you conmpiled your kernel).

--

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Dave Stanto » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:23:25

> That has never been the case.  I suspect you are thinking of the
> PC BIOS defaults which insist on booting from an IDE device if
> one is present.  To work around this, you merely tell the BIOS
> that you have no IDE devices connected so it doesn't bother to
> scan for them.  The PC can then boot from the SCSI device.  Once
> the the linux kernel is loaded, the real-mode BIOS device support
> is replaced by linux protected mode device support, which will
> detect and use the IDE device (provided you have included the
> necessary support code/modules when you conmpiled your kernel).

That is exactly what I did with my machine and it works fine. I have a
bootable Advansys scsi card. Linux does not need the bios to find
IDE drives. Do a search on google and look at previous issues of
Linux Gazette.

Cheers

Dave

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by florian schmid » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 17:26:58

> RH 7.1, Intel

> If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> the IDE drive.

> Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> drive as my extra non-boot drive?

> I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
> addressing the issue.

> TIA.

this is, i think, mostly a bios issue.. my bios can boot from scsi first,
then ide..

--
florian schmidt

http://www.artedagencygermany.com/mista.tapas/index.html

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Thaddeus L Olcz » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:47:05

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:19:00 -0400, Cosmo Lee

>RH 7.1, Intel

>If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
>there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
>the IDE drive.

>Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
>drive as my extra non-boot drive?

>I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
>addressing the issue.

>TIA.

It depends on what you mean by "boot off of". If you mean install your
/boot ( and therefore your kernel ) on the SCSI drive then yes.
( This is probably what most people would mean by boot off off.)

If you mean put the MBR on the SCSI, then maybe yes maybe no.
(This is technically what is meant by boot off of. However I do
not believe that the MBR could ever be used for any kind of
storage other than an MB...after all, what would happen if you
overwrote it later? So do people really care where the MBR is
stored? )

Practically speaking. You can always put the MBR on the ide then
sector is ever used for anything else ) point it to SCSI. Thus you are
effectively using SCSI to boot off of. (BTW you would have to put in
the bios= config in lilo. Check lilo or old posts. )

IDE & SCSI drives together??

Post by Adam Wilhit » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:58:38

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:19:00 -0400, Cosmo Lee

> >RH 7.1, Intel

> >If my memory serves me right, there used to be a limitation that if
> >there were both IDE and SCSI hard drives in a system, it must boot from
> >the IDE drive.

> >Is this still the case or can I boot from a SCSI drive and have an IDE
> >drive as my extra non-boot drive?

> >I searched for a FAQ on this topic, but was not able to find anything
> >addressing the issue.

> >TIA.
> It depends on what you mean by "boot off of". If you mean install your
> /boot ( and therefore your kernel ) on the SCSI drive then yes.
> ( This is probably what most people would mean by boot off off.)

> If you mean put the MBR on the SCSI, then maybe yes maybe no.
> (This is technically what is meant by boot off of. However I do
> not believe that the MBR could ever be used for any kind of
> storage other than an MB...after all, what would happen if you
> overwrote it later? So do people really care where the MBR is
> stored? )

> Practically speaking. You can always put the MBR on the ide then
> sector is ever used for anything else ) point it to SCSI. Thus you are
> effectively using SCSI to boot off of. (BTW you would have to put in
> the bios= config in lilo. Check lilo or old posts. )

In the bios you can unconfigure the device instead of auto.  I select none,
then mount the ide drive under linux
just an idea
adam

1. IDE & non-IDE drive together ?

Hi
Up until now my Linux system has been on an _ancient_, slow Micropolis 5.25
full hieght ST506 type drive ( I know, but pennies are tight and I have a
family to support !). I have now acquired an IDE drive ( only 125Mb :( but 4
times the speed :) ).
The problem:
I dont want to reinstall the system as I have made various changes to config
files etc. I would like to simply copy _everything_ from the old drive to the
new one. Is it possible for the two drives to co-exist. I dont think I can
change any controller addresses as the IDE is on the motherboard ( a DELL
316SX) and the Micropolis controller is an original WD1003 full length card.

I think i'm going to have to re-install but I would be grateful if someone can
point to another way.

Steve

PS kernel is 1.1.59 from Slackware 1.2

NATURAL ENVIRONMENT RESEARCH COUNCIL
Swindon
UK

2. Which process is LISTENing on port X?

3. ls: /net/beluga: Resource temporarily unavailable

4. IDE CD-RW w/ SCSI Tape Drive (don't work together)

5. Sr. UNIX Administrator (Solaris)

6. IDE and SCSI hard drives together

7. Bay Networks RA4000 and radius!!!!

8. IDE & SCSI harddisks together?????

9. SCSI & IDE disks together

10. SCSI & ide together

11. Summary: SCSI and IDE working together (MS-DOS/Win & Linux)

12. SCSI card and ide-scsi emulation: should they work together?