Printing to Win98 clients WPS printer over Samba and TCP/IP

Printing to Win98 clients WPS printer over Samba and TCP/IP

Post by James Curre » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have just intalled a linux box with SuSE 5.2 and have got the network
to work in order to use the internet over 123proxy on my modem attached
to my win98 box. I've got two problems. First should be simple. Whenever
I try to access FTP sites with Netscape, it says i'm denied access due
to security precautions. I've tried as root and my username but neither
makes a difference. The proxy is set up for FTP and this is a maddening
problem because I can't download anything!!

My second problem is to do with printing to a shared Windows Printing
System Printer (Canon BJC-620) over my TCP/IP network with Samba. I've
only managed to get the proxy to work and as yet can't see my Linux box
in Network Neighbourhood on the Win 98 machine, even after following the
brilliant guide to Simpleton Networking by Michael Holve (it's great,
cheers Michael). I can access my linux box with telnet and my win98
responds to pings but it won't share things in Net. Neighbourhood. I
have no idea how set up printing  on linux.

I'm a newbie and Linux and installed it because of it's stability.

Please help!

Cheers

James Currer (Age 14)

Printing to Win98 clients WPS printer over Samba and TCP/IP

Post by Gerald Jense » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

James:

I may be able to help with your second problem. I would do three things ...

1. Make sure you have the latest samba (http://www.samba.org/)
1. Check out the article at
http://www.eunuchs.org/linux/samba/samba_content.html
2. Use the Samba SWAT utility to configure the printers

Gerald Jensen

> I have just intalled a linux box with SuSE 5.2 and have got the network
> to work in order to use the internet over 123proxy on my modem attached
> to my win98 box. I've got two problems. First should be simple. Whenever
> I try to access FTP sites with Netscape, it says i'm denied access due
> to security precautions. I've tried as root and my username but neither
> makes a difference. The proxy is set up for FTP and this is a maddening
> problem because I can't download anything!!

> My second problem is to do with printing to a shared Windows Printing
> System Printer (Canon BJC-620) over my TCP/IP network with Samba. I've
> only managed to get the proxy to work and as yet can't see my Linux box
> in Network Neighbourhood on the Win 98 machine, even after following the
> brilliant guide to Simpleton Networking by Michael Holve (it's great,
> cheers Michael). I can access my linux box with telnet and my win98
> responds to pings but it won't share things in Net. Neighbourhood. I
> have no idea how set up printing  on linux.

> I'm a newbie and Linux and installed it because of it's stability.

> Please help!

> Cheers

> James Currer (Age 14)

Printing to Win98 clients WPS printer over Samba and TCP/IP

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have just intalled a linux box with SuSE 5.2 and have got the network
>to work in order to use the internet over 123proxy on my modem attached
>to my win98 box. I've got two problems. First should be simple. Whenever
>I try to access FTP sites with Netscape, it says i'm denied access due
>to security precautions. I've tried as root and my username but neither
>makes a difference. The proxy is set up for FTP and this is a maddening
>problem because I can't download anything!!

Don't know my way about things too well, but Netscape is not an FTP
client (well, not properly). If you use the actual "ftp" command, does
it work?

I suspect Netscape is doing an ftp over html (if you see what I mean) so
it is using port 80 (the html port), not 20/21 (the ftp port). To use a
motoring analogy, you are trying to use a blocked-off diversion when the
main road is open.
Trousers with a single hole in their waistband are topologically equivalent
to a doughnut. These sugarcoated trousers have yet to catch on at fast-food
outlets! (SuperStrings by F. David Peat)

If replying by e-mail please mail wol. Anything else may get missed amongst
the spam.

1. (Samba) printing to win98 client printer

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a Linux box (pentium running RedHat6.1) which is acting as a Samba
server to my ethernet-connected Windows98 client.  Everything is golden on
the Windows end; I can see the Linux box via the Neighborhood Network and
so on and so forth.

The Windows box has an Epson 640 printer attached.  I've checked "Printer
and File Sharing" on the Epson's configuration panel, and I've written the
necessary files for the Linux box (a .config file in the appropriate spool
directory and a few lines in the printer configuration file).

When I try to print to the printer from my Linux box, it seems to send
fine, but it doesn't print.  If I run lpq -PEpson I get a message saying
that it's waiting for the printer to become free.  The printer is of course
free.

What am I missing here?

Many thanks in advance,
Justin

2. : 53c896 & Linux instalation

3. Printing via SAMBA to Win98 Host Printer

4. "out of file descriptors" when booting 3.1

5. Samba: cannot print from Win98 to Linux printer

6. Bootup takes 10 minutes -- GETTING WORSE

7. Printing via SAMBA to Win98 host-based printer

8. SCSI + ICL Ergo

9. Unable to print from Win98 to Samba printer

10. Still unable to print from Win98 to Samba printer

11. sending print jobs to win98 printer from lpd crashes win98 box

12. SAMBA (linux) server <==TCP/IP Packets==> Win95 client

13. Help needed: Solaris print client to non-std printer TCP port