Which tape, DVD writer

Post by bill davids » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:50:18

I'm trying to set up a system with good backup capabilities. Any
comments on which DVD writer or ATAPI tape drive to use? I am looking at
the 8 and 20 GB tape drives, to replace my 4mm DAT drives which are
getting a bit low on capacity.

The state of tapes is lagging far behind disk, if I was more confident
in changing ATAPI disk drives without rebooting I would go that way.
However, I just have a better feeling about tape or DVD, in terms of
being able to read them on other systems.

--

  His first management concern is not solving the problem, but covering
his ass. If he lived in the middle ages he'd wear his codpiece backward.

Which tape, DVD writer

Post by Skylar Thomps » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:33:07

>I'm trying to set up a system with good backup capabilities. Any
>comments on which DVD writer or ATAPI tape drive to use? I am looking at
>the 8 and 20 GB tape drives, to replace my 4mm DAT drives which are
>getting a bit low on capacity.

>The state of tapes is lagging far behind disk, if I was more confident
>in changing ATAPI disk drives without rebooting I would go that way.
>However, I just have a better feeling about tape or DVD, in terms of
>being able to read them on other systems.

I would suggest that you should avoid ATAPI if at all possible; there is
no real standard for it, and all the "standards" are just crude hacks and
emulation layers over IDE. Go for a good SCSI tape drive; not only will
it be easier to set up because of standardization, it will be faster, as more
CPU time is diverted to compressing and buffering than is being used to
actually drive the tape.

Another thing: I would not use DVDs yet --- tapes have greater capacity
(AFAIK), and are quite a bit more reliable.

I really can't say what type of tape drive you should get; I would need to
know the size of your system(s).

--

P(4.2.2) + "Skylar DXLIX" DMPo L:36 DL:2500' A++ R+++ Sp w:Stormbringer
A(JLE)*/P*/Z/J64/Ad L/O H+ D+ c f-/f PV+ s TT- d++/d+ P++ M/M+

Which tape, DVD writer

Post by Charles Sulliva » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:38:20

> I'm trying to set up a system with good backup capabilities. Any
> comments on which DVD writer or ATAPI tape drive to use? I am looking at
> the 8 and 20 GB tape drives, to replace my 4mm DAT drives which are
> getting a bit low on capacity.

> The state of tapes is lagging far behind disk, if I was more confident
> in changing ATAPI disk drives without rebooting I would go that way.
> However, I just have a better feeling about tape or DVD, in terms of
> being able to read them on other systems.

Tape drives have been the bane of my existance since day one.  Perhaps a
commercial grade drive would be OK, but the consumer grade drives I've
owned have always crapped out at the most inopportune times.  The two most
recent were a Colorado Jumbo 250 (died when I tried to do a restore) and
my current Seagate Travan TR-5 20 Gb (starts spewing errors when
attempting to backup more than about 6-7 Gb - possibly an overheating
problem).

Which tape, DVD writer

Post by Erlend Stromsvi » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 23:18:07

A little bit off topic, but...

I'm setting up a web-server at my company. (going to containg a fair amount
of data)
And now I have started to look around for backup options... And with that,
startet to think a little about why you need backup.

Of course you want some way of restoring data/software if something goes
wrong, you don't need a tape for just a regular HD crash. Just run a raid
with mirroring for that. So why would you need a tape. If the house with the
server burns down to the ground, it would be a good thing if you have a
complete backup of everything at -another- location. I've heard of
situations where the tapes were stored in the same building :)
But if the house burn down, you'll still need the hardware to read the date
you stored on the tape. So you must get new hardware for the server, then a
new tape-streamer and then you can restore your system.

What I'm thinking of is putting in a raid on the server. Then once a month
I'll do a disk clone with Norton Ghost, to a seperate HD which I store
safely at another location. After every software change (not db or data
update) I'll burn a CD with the source code + program code which we have
developed in-house.
And finally, I've heard about a program/ability to do some kind of sync from
one linux box to another. So I'll have a twin server at another place which
will be kept updated with all the changes at the original server once every
night. I know about several ways to do this, but I'm going to checkout how
this sync feature works, before I decide.
This will let me have our site back online in a day, at most. (might have to
reroute ip or change dns entry if the house burned down) For hardware
failure/disk crash it will only be a matter of either switching HDs or
moving the other twin server from the second location. Estimate, an hour or
two.

Cloning with Norton Ghost works great. I just tried it out with taking a
copy of the server HD, taking it with me to one of my home PC's, installing
it there as master drive and it booted right off of it :)
This works as long as you are able to store all your data on one disk.

I'm just posting this as an alternative, and I'm open for
suggestions/critic.

Erlend Stromsvik

Which tape, DVD writer

Post by Skylar Thomps » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:38:31

>Tape drives have been the bane of my existance since day one.  Perhaps a
>commercial grade drive would be OK, but the consumer grade drives I've
>owned have always crapped out at the most inopportune times.  The two most
>recent were a Colorado Jumbo 250 (died when I tried to do a restore) and
>my current Seagate Travan TR-5 20 Gb (starts spewing errors when
>attempting to backup more than about 6-7 Gb - possibly an overheating
>problem).

Odd. I've never had any trouble with any of the tape drives I used, except
for an extremely old floppy tape controller whose operability I was (and
still am) not sure about.

--

P(4.2.2) + "Skylar DXLIX" DMPo L:36 DL:2500' A++ R+++ Sp w:Stormbringer
A(JLE)*/P*/Z/J64/Ad L/O H+ D+ c f-/f PV+ s TT- d++/d+ P++ M/M+
C- S++ I+/I++ So B+ ac GHB++ SQ++ RQ+ V+ F:JLE F: Possessors strong again

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. DHCP client

3. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

4. AfterStep - Stop Pager Scroll with Mouse

5. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

6. Wanted: Portable (hardware) MP3 player that works with Linux?

7. Toshiba Combo DVD + CDROM writer SD-R1002

8. Does cc compiler be included in Solaris 8 ?

9. dvd writer for solaris 9 (blade 1X0, v880, Ultra 10).

10. dvd Writer dual-layered

11. DVD-Writers and Linux

12. IDE/ATAPI DVD Writers on Solaris?

13. ?′DVD writer under RedHat 8.0?H