Sound Blaster 16 problem with Slackware Linux 2.0.35

Sound Blaster 16 problem with Slackware Linux 2.0.35

Post by Danger Rous » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I thought I had it working!  I got the slackware distribution from
their ftp sight and installed it after overcoming several problems.
Then I recompiled the kernel (about 10^27 times) until I got one that
could understand the sound blaster 16.  It worked for about 3 days when
I had to take my system down.  When I booted backup sound was NOT
working anymore!
i.e. no messages during sound initialization and cat /dev/sndstat shows
this:

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630 (Sun Jan 24 15:57:00 MST 1999 root,
Linux dangerouse 2.0.35 #3 Sun Jan 24 10:12:30 MST 1999 i586 unknown)
Kernel: Linux dangerouse 2.0.35 #2 Sun Jan 24 15:59:59 MST 1999 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,6)
(SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
(OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

Well I thought it must be a pnp problem.  So I compiled the modules ran
pnpdump ran 'isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf' (yes I vi'd isapnp.conf to
uncomment the appropriate lines).  But when I try to load the module it
says:

  bash# modprobe sound
  /lib/modules/2.0.35/misc/sound.o: couldn't find the kernel version the
module was compiled for

So I'm at a dead end.  What can I try next?

Has anybody out there had this problem where the kernel suddenly decides
it doesn't like your sound card? Am I on the right trail with the pnp
theory?

This is really starting get to me.  I appreciate any help you could
give.

Thanks, Roger

1. Sound Blaster SB 16 ISA sound card problems

Hi all,
Here's the go:

I have a streaming audio server, using raencoder and pnserver.
If I have one user listening to the stream no problems, but if someone
else tries to listen to the stream I get this in /var/log/messages:
kernel: Sound: DMA (input) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

I have edited /etc/conf.modules and made sure the settings for my Sound
Blaster SB15 ISA card are corect.
I have tried swapping cards and trying different ISA slots.....still
doesn't improve the situation.
Does anyone have any ideas?

I am running Red hat 6.2 and although I know a little but, I'm
definately no expert on how to use it.

Thanks in advance

Kai

2. Used Sun 3000

3. Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

4. Cleaning up MS WORD HTML

5. Getting Sound Blaster 16 cdrom to work with Slackware

6. trashed services file

7. Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

8. Kmod: failed to exec .....

9. Sound Blaster 16 problems on SuSe linux 7.1

10. Problem with Sound Blaster 16 With Panasonic CD-ROM under Linux System

11. Sound Blaster 16 (Vibra 16)

12. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in