Sound Blaster CD-ROM not recognized

Post by Graham Swall » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I have Slackware v2.3 and I can't get it to reconize my CD-ROM drive I used the
> sbcd boot image, and during the boot up it says that the drive is not found.  I
>   SoundBlaster 4X CD-ROM
>   Connected to a SoundBlaster 16 Sound Card
>   The CD-ROM drive is the master

sbpcd is for the 'old' soundblaster cards which have a Panasonic/Matsushita
CDROM interface. The new EIDE-ATAPI interfaces is something completely
different (on newer soundblaster cards). It should be handled by the EIDE
driver (/dev/hdc). IE the soundblaster card is two cards in one, a sound
card, and something to drive the CDROM. Look in /var/adm/* (messages or
syslog) to see that ide0 and ide1 are detected, as well as /dev/hdc (or
/dev/hde if this is really ide2!)

        Graham
        -----------------------------------
        http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~trix <-- Linux Info Pages
        http://trix.dircon.co.uk/ (dial-up) <-- Raven Kept Here
        -----------------------------------

Post by ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have Slackware v2.3 and I can't get it to reconize my CD-ROM drive I used the
sbcd boot image, and during the boot up it says that the drive is not found.  I
continued and formated my Linux partition, then tryed to install and it said
there was a CD-ROM error.
  This is what I have
  SoundBlaster 4X CD-ROM
  Connected to a SoundBlaster 16 Sound Card
  The CD-ROM drive is the master
I would appreciate any help, and if you could e-mail it to me at

Thanks in advance.

Post by Horst von Bra » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>[Slackware 2.3, SoundBlaster CD 4x: Install won't work]

Contrary to what every FM out there says, these are ATAPI CDROMs.  You are
dead wrong with your kernel :-)

PS: I wouldn't install Slackware 2.3, it's aout and the (Linux) world is
    going ELF. Fast.  Take a look at RedHat 3.0.3 , very nice to install
    (haven't had much time to fool around yet, running Slackware 3.0 (ELF)
    at home and considering a switch).

Good luck!

PPS: Interesting name.  Sure got _my_ attention :-)
--

Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 626364 x 431
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria        Fax:  +56 32 625217

1. Sound Blaster CD-ROM SCR-830 Is Not Recognised by Caldera 1.2

I have a Dell 486 with a PnP Sound Blaster CD-ROM (8x) Model SCR-830.
However, when I install Caldera 1.2 onto the system the operating
system will only recognise the hardrive and not the CD-ROM drive. I
tried mounting additional modules but no luck. Would greatly
appreciate any help.

Best Regards,

2. pci devices

3. Recognizing a Sound Blaster CD-ROM

4. Scanner Recommendations

5. Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

6. How do I use the X?

7. Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM not found ...

8. Networking Newbie

9. Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM not found ....

10. CD-ROM not recognized - RH 5.2/MAD 16 Sound Card

11. Sound Blaster w/SCSI CD not recognized

12. Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM/Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 Mount problems

13. Help: My cd-rom does not recognize audio cd