LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

Post by Nasser Abba » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

hi,

Installed Linux 1.2.8 / slackware ok. Installed Lilo to boot
Linux and DOS partitions. tried booting to DOS and Linux through Lilo,
and it worked fine.

I powered off the machine. went and had good night sleep, Got up next
morning, powered the machine on, got to the Lilo prompt, typed DOS and
now I get this error:

                            Error x04
                            Error x04

And these messages keeps printing on the screen forever...

I still can boot to Linux just fine.

How can one now boot to DOS? I can offcourse boot into DOS using my DOS
system disk,

If I then do FIDK/MBR (to reinstall my DOS boot record), I'll erase what
LILO write in there. and I will not be able to boot to Linux.

Is there a way to repair the dameged MBR so That I can boot to dos and
linux again.

Any ideas what to do?

thanks
nasser
a_4_days_old_linux_user

LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

Post by Nasser Abba » Tue, 21 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>If I then do FIDK/MBR (to reinstall my DOS boot record), I'll erase what

              ^^^^^^^^

meant to type "FDISK /MBR"

nasser

Post by steven bol » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Installed Linux 1.2.8 / slackware ok. Installed Lilo to boot
>Linux and DOS partitions. tried booting to DOS and Linux through Lilo,
>and it worked fine.

>I powered off the machine. went and had good night sleep, Got up next
>morning, powered the machine on, got to the Lilo prompt, typed DOS and
>now I get this error:

On a machine with dos and Linux, use Loadlin, not LILO. Using Loadlin you
don't need to mess with the mbr. All you need is a copy of the Linux kernel
image somewhere on a dos partition (you use Linux to put it there, after
mounting the dos-drive as msdos). Then you can use a simple config.sys menu
to select the OS of the day, or even boot Linux straight out of running dos.
Loadlin does a `logical reload' of the machine, cleaning the memory and loading
the kernel, which then boots as usual.

Hope this helps a bit...

Post by Barbari » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>If I then do FIDK/MBR (to reinstall my DOS boot record), I'll erase what
>              ^^^^^^^^
>meant to type "FDISK /MBR"
>nasser

Nasser,

Once you've recreated your Master Boot (for DOS), enter Linux and re-run INSTALL to recreate the
LILO disk/partition information.

I boot off a 540Mb Linux disk and (through LILO) into a 1Gb Windows 95 disk and it works a treat.
Doing the above cured any teething problem my setup had.

Regards from London,

Hassan

LILO error on trying to boot DOS (Error X04)

Post by Juergen Exn » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

[...]
   I powered off the machine. went and had good night sleep, Got up next
   morning, powered the machine on, got to the Lilo prompt, typed DOS and
   now I get this error:

                               Error x04
                               Error x04
[...]
   How can one now boot to DOS? I can offcourse boot into DOS using my DOS
   system disk,
[...]

Most probably you made a mistake when entering the "dos-partition" in
/etc/lilo.config. Check the DOS-section very carefully.
Didn't you wrote /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1 ??

I'm pretty sure, it's somethink like that.
Correct the wrong entry and rerun /sbin/lilo.

Greetings jue

snail-mail: TU Berlin; Sekr. FR 5-13; Franklinstr. 28-29; 10587 Berlin
=-=-=-=-= "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that"  HAL 2000  =-=-=-=-=-=

1. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

After installing LILO to the MBR it gives me the following error when
trying to boot linux:  error 0x09!  Dos anyone know what it is trying to
tell me?  My linux partitions are /dev/hdb2 and /dev/hdb3 (swap:
/dev/hdb1).  When I check out the partition tables in fdisk
/dev/hdb2 (root partition) does not have an asteric in the boot colum.
Is that the problem and how do I fix it.

2. Red hat Linux, X and multiple monitors

3. trying to install MS-DOS boot partition causes LILO error

4. Setting up audio

5. RH5/w95/LILO dos boot error

6. Toshiba Mouse Problem

7. LILO, BOOT ERROR, DISK ERROR AND MUCH MORE FUN

8. linux for disconchip2000(8MB)

9. 1.2.8: boot error: hda: DRDY error: status=0x01 { Error }

10. Boot Error when trying to boot BSD via Win NTLDR

11. nwauth error error -632 [0xFFFFFD88] trying to connect to Novell NDS

12. HDIO_REQ not supported error, trying to install LILO

13. Red Hat LILO gives error trying to install to MBR!!!