umsdos boot hang, help!

Post by Jiangeng S » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

I have installed slackware3.0 on a ps/valuepoint 433DX.
when I use loadlin to boot up, everything went well
except when it got to the point of mounting the file system.
It gave " VFS: mounted umsdos system", and hung forever.

I looked at fstab and mtab, they looked fine because they
looked same as the ones that on another machine that I have
installed same thing successfully.

I even tried mini-linux, and it worked, X-windows and
everything.  But it is so old, and it corrupted the dos
file system every time I boot  it up.

can some one give me a hint where and what I should look for?
I have setup everything on another machine, so I can tweek
the kernel if needed.

thanks

j.g.

umsdos boot hang, help!

Post by Ian V. Quickmi » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

>I have installed slackware3.0 on a ps/valuepoint 433DX.
>when I use loadlin to boot up, everything went well
>except when it got to the point of mounting the file system.
>It gave " VFS: mounted umsdos system", and hung forever.
>I looked at fstab and mtab, they looked fine because they
>looked same as the ones that on another machine that I have
>installed same thing successfully.

Where is the kernel image that you are booting located? Is that kernel
image rdev'ed to the right partition that the umsdos system resides on,
ie: if your system is /dev/hda5, then the kernel has to know that. Usually,
you do an rdev /wherever/zImage /dev/hda5.

That's what it sounds like to me.

If you can boot any Linux, including a repair disk, rdev your image to the
correct partition.

And, are you sure the fstab has the correct partition listed for your
system?

WWW: http://www.sonetis.com/~ianq/      CIS: 74032,573

1. umsdos boot up, hang at mounting /proc ?

I am still having trouble installing linux 1.2.13 on
a ps/valuepoint 433dx. However I did it on a pentium.
The only difference betweent the two in the boot up
is that the ps/vp stop  at VFS: mounted root (umsdos system),
while the pentium continue on to mount /proc . What could
be wrong that the ps/vp won't mount /proc? The fstab
on the ps/vp is like
/dev/hda1        /        umsdos        defaults   1   1
none             /proc    proc          defaults   1   1

should there be some tabs or some other un-print characters?
I can see only spaces in the file.

thanks in advance

2. Starting X in 1024x768 mode

3. Booting from NT boot loader--UMSDOS fs

4. airport w/2.4krnl

5. Help:about booting the linux with UMSDOS filesystem

6. pipe?

7. Help boot 2.0.13 on umsdos

8. Zip drive

9. Help : about booting the linux with UMSDOS filesystem

10. setup boot stalling with slackware umsdos.....help???

11. help: boot umsdos

12. BOOT UMSDOS SLACK; COLOR144 ON 386 4MEG!!??[HELP]

13. Help:about booting the linux with UMSDOS filesystem