Quality of X fonts poor

Post by Alan Clav » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is there any way to improve the quality of fonts in X? I recently setup
RH5.2 and have been using Netscape and the trial version of Word Perfect
and I miss the high quality fonts in Windows 95 - nothing in X seems to
give a nice font display.

Quality of X fonts poor

Post by Rod Smi » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Is there any way to improve the quality of fonts in X? I recently setup
> RH5.2 and have been using Netscape and the trial version of Word Perfect
> and I miss the high quality fonts in Windows 95 - nothing in X seems to
> give a nice font display.

First, be aware that WordPerfect seems to use its own internal font
rasterizer, so adding and changing fonts for WordPerfect is an entirely
different kettle of fish than doing it for most other X-based
applications.  I've got instructions on doing this for WordPerfect,
including tips on improving the quality of the "base" font set, on my web
page at:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/wpfonts.html

Second, adding or changing fonts for other programs is sadly more
complicated than it is under most other OSes.  One of the best ways to
improve font quality is to add a TrueType font server, such as xfsft or
xfstt, and switch to using TrueType fonts -- or, more precisely, *GOOD*
TrueType fonts.  There are plenty of POOR TrueType fonts floating around,
too.  Microsoft has some very good and free (but not redistributable)
fonts at:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

I have some discussion of installing a TrueType font server on a web page
devoted to fonts under ApplixWare:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/fonts.html

Note that some recent XFree86 binaries include this support, so if you use
one of those, it may be easier than is described on my web page.

Also, some poor fonts in certain programs may actually result from an
attempt to scale a bitmapped font.  Making relatively subtle alterations
to your XF86Config file and/or adding Type 1 or TrueType alternatives to
the bitmapped fonts can help in those situations, but I don't have
detailed instructions handy.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. Poor quality fonts in kvt

I was playing around with my font settings to get Netscape to look right
and did something that has caused my fonts in kvt (KDE xterm) to display
poorly.  I tried resetting the order of fonts in /etc/X11/fs/config,
default font size, default resolutions, etc. but can't seem to get the
display to look the way it did originally (sharper image).

I compared my settings to those in another installation where the fonts
display correctly to make sure I had everything right. I also juggled
settings, but nothing seems to work.  The font I'm using in kvt is
"fixed", 10 point (which I believe is displayed as 13 point, if I
understand the kvt configuration file settings), bold.  When I select
"normal" from the kvt "options/fontsize" menu the font displays smaller
than it should, but can be corrected selecting "medium".  No matter what
I do, however, the font displays fuzzier, with some letters (m)
"scrunched" unless I display the font at 15 points or larger.   Any
ideas?  (yes, I did restart the font server)  Config files below:

kvtrc:

# KDE Config File
[kvt]
foreground=#c0c0c0
defaultFont=fixed,10,5,unknown,75,0
charclass=
menubar=visible
background=#000080
dimension=80x24
Hotkeys=true
keyset=0
fontSize2=7
fontSize3=10
kmenubar=top
fontSize4=14
fontSize5=15
colormode=KDE
fontSize6=20
size=medium
scrollbar=right
backspace=BS

config:

#
# Default font server configuration file for Red Hat Linux 6.0
#

# allow a max of 4 clients to connect to this font server
client-limit = 4

# when a font server reaches its limit, start up a new one
clone-self = off

# alternate font servers for clients to use
#alternate-servers = foo:7101,bar:7102

# where to look for fonts
# Some of these are commented out, i.e. the TrueType and Type1
# directories in /usr/share, because they aren't forced to be
# installed alongside X.
#
catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/share/fonts/ttfonts,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo

# in 12 points, decipoints
default-point-size = 120

# 100 x 100 and 75 x 75
default-resolutions = 75,75,100,100

# how to log errors
use-syslog = on

2. turn off X when RH 6 boots?

3. Poor screen quality

4. LAN DNS server behind dialup firewall

5. Q: poor sound quality, why?

6. Connect DOOM-Players over a Linux-BBS?

7. xgrabsc | gs = poor quality

8. PC dialing in to Linux and using Samba?

9. Why are jpegs so poor quality in Linux?

10. Poor screen quality

11. netscape 2.0.beta.b4, poor pic quality

12. Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

13. Sound card: poor quality from CD drive... mixer needed?