Loadlin and multiple boots

Post by Nick Johnso » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

How is loadlin used, and what should be done during installation to use
it?

Does it require partitions to be made for linux anyway?

Loadlin and multiple boots

Post by Erik Hanse » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> How is loadlin used, and what should be done during installation to use
> it?

Loadlin.exe is used from the DOS command line to boot a linux partition.

Booting linux with loadlin involves a command similar to (depending on
your setup):

C:\> loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro

(the important parameters passed to it are the kernel (in this case a
kernel vmlinuz in the DOS root directory) and the partition you want to
mount as root.

Quote:

> Does it require partitions to be made for linux anyway?

Loadlin doesn't require partitions.  Linux does.  The only way around this
is a UMSDOS partition.  Redhat, I believe, doesn't support them, but
Slackware does.   I would only suggest using one of those if you are more
certain than not that you won't be running Linux for the long term,
because UMSDOS is significantly slower and much more inefficient disk
spacewise than a Linux native partition.

Loadlin does work with UMSDOS partitions.

Erik

1. Trouble booting with loadlin from win98's boot.ini !

Hi!
I have tried using the following setup, with win98, win2000 and Linux
Mandrake as multiboot system.
(I tried Lilo, and didnt like it: when I should use windows I had to type
"windows", and then I could choose between win98 and win2000; but there is
probably also a better way for this)

boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
C:\Linux.bat="Linux Mandrake"

C:\Linux.bat:
loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 ro

loadlin.exe and vmlinuz is in C:\

The Problem: When "Linux Mandrake" is choosen, it just dont start. What's
wrong?
It would be nice if anybody could point to what is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards: Jacob Eskildsen

2. NIS server problems in Ultrix

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. anonymous users

5. Multiple nics with loadlin

6. What do the density flags represent?

7. boot manager for multiple OS (XP and FreeBSD) on multiple drives

8. Question about multiple ethernet cards

9. System hangs after loadlin boot

10. Hel[ Booting Linux 2.0.x Using LOADLIN

11. black screen with X window when booting from DOS with Loadlin

12. Linux wont boot from loadlin

13. loadlin & Win95 - getting memory error trying to boot linux from config.sys menu