Help with Linux firewall and IP Masquerading

Help with Linux firewall and IP Masquerading

Post by eriddic » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a Cablemodem and want to connect the ethernet cable directly to
my
linux machine(it has 2 nics), and connect the other ethernet cable to my
internal switch. The IP's from the cable company are DHCP'ed and change
every 2 weeks. So I am wondering how to set this up. How do you
configure
the routes since it's internet address will be changing every 2 weeks?
I am
very new to Linux, so as of right now all I have is a Caldera 2.3 linux
box
with full install. I need a very in-depth step-by-step manual or
explanation. Also any help with configuring it as a firewall(what
firewall
software is best?). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You. Erik

Post by Todd Dunkir » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a Cablemodem and want to connect the ethernet cable directly to
> my
> linux machine(it has 2 nics), and connect the other ethernet cable to

Browse over to www.linuxdoc.org and read the relevant
HOWTO's. Everything you need to know can be found there.

Todd

1. Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading

I posted some backup scripts I wrote on http://home.earthlink.net/~simpson3.
These scripts dump a set of filesystems to a large SCSI tape drive (such as
a DAT) drive using the dump(8) and restore(8) programs that come with Linux.

Also, on that page is a description of IP firewalling and IP masquerading.
A sample script to set these up is contained there too.
    Scott

2. C++ class member function as a thread function.

3. Kernel versions, IP firewalls, IP masquerading and stability

4. Riva 128

5. IP Firewall and IP Masquerading Problems

6. Compiling error

7. IP Masquerading: dynamic IP assignment beyond the firewall?

8. snort logging - snort.conf

9. Solution for Linux IP Masquerade users to run Warftpd behind a firewall! =)

10. IP masquerading/firewalling with a Sparc running Linux?

11. linux IP Masquerading firewall problems

12. Capping the upload on a Linux IP Masquerading firewall

13. IP Masquerading Between Two Linux Firewalls