Low memory install problem

Post by Mart » Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Im having problems installing Redhat Linux 5.2 on my old Compaq 386
with 5mb of memory. I'm attempting to do a hard drive install after
downloading the files via ftp. I think I've followed all the setup
instructions ok but it comes up with a lack of memory problem and
quits the install. As there isn't any mention of this problem in the
docs, I've come a little unstuck.. (The docs say the minumum memory
needed is 2mb or realistically 4mb)

Any help appreciated
-Martyn

This is the error message it comes up with after inserting the
Supplementory disk:

bunzip2    Can't allocate enough memory for compression. Requested
4,500,000 bytes for a block size of 900,000. Try selecting
space-economic decompress (with flag -s) and failing that find a
machine with more memory.

Install exited abnormally

You may safely reboot your system

Low memory install problem

Post by Bill Mitchel » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi

> Im having problems installing Redhat Linux 5.2 on my old Compaq 386
> with 5mb of memory. I'm attempting to do a hard drive install after
> downloading the files via ftp. I think I've followed all the setup
> instructions ok but it comes up with a lack of memory problem and
> quits the install. As there isn't any mention of this problem in the
> docs, I've come a little unstuck.. (The docs say the minumum memory
> needed is 2mb or realistically 4mb)

> Any help appreciated
> -Martyn

> This is the error message it comes up with after inserting the
> Supplementory disk:

> bunzip2    Can't allocate enough memory for compression. Requested
> 4,500,000 bytes for a block size of 900,000. Try selecting
> space-economic decompress (with flag -s) and failing that find a
> machine with more memory.

> Install exited abnormally

> You may safely reboot your system

Debian is the only one i found that would install in that little RAM,
using their lowmem boot disk. Give it a try.

Bill Mitchell

1. Low-memory install: Cannot allocate memory at startup!

Argh!  So close!

I'm installing Debian because it is the only one I've seen that even talks
about machines with 4M of ram.
This is an old, Ascentia 800N laptop, 4M ram, something round 512M
hard-drive.

Partitions are 300+M Linux native, 2M minix for temp install, and 82M+  for
Linux swap.

Using the Debian low-mem install.  All goes well until booting from the
harddrive.  I avoid installing any new modules.
Several messages appear during startup, exclaiming they cannot allocate
memory.
modprobe complains its out of memory
grep complains about memory
libc.so.6: cannot map zero-fill pages: cannot allocate memory

Argh!  Has anybody managed to pull this off?  Do you have any pointers?
I'll trade Shiner Bock for some good hints (srma)!

-s

2. softraid problem with SuSE 6.4 and 2.2.x kernel

3. Low Memory Problem Installing Linux

4. ftpd: #2 open of pid file failed

5. Problems with low memory install

6. Thoughts from the Woods

7. Low memory RedHat install, how?

8. Strange result (hang) on date setting

9. Installing w/low memory? (Red Hat)

10. Need help installing slackware w/ low memory

11. RedHat 5.2 install hangs on low memory (8MB) PC

12. Low Memory Slackware Install

13. Low memory Red Hat install, how? -- InfoMagic broken