Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

Post by Donald C. Linds » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a parallel port zip, and did the upgrade with it attached.
Then I booted with the printer plugged in. "lpq" says

        waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

OK, I re-upgraded, ie from 6.0 to 6.0 (runs real fast!), but
with the printer on the parallel port during the upgrade. No improvement.

Yes. I've tried restarting the LP daemon (using the "lpd" menu
of the Print System Manager popup from control-panel). /var/log/messages
got
        localhost lpd: lpd shutdown succeeded
        localhost lpd: lpd startup succeeded

but lpq's opinion is still "offline".

?? Any ideas ??
--
Don
Donald C. Lindsay   www.best.com/~dlindsay

Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

Post by Felici » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Have you tried using the Control Panel tool to reset up the computer?  That
should automatically probe for your lpX devices and then allow you to
choose the driver you want to use.

Felicia

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

Post by Abed M. Hammou » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

I am having the same problem after upgrading from 5.2 to 6.0 RH.
Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
- Abed

> I have a parallel port zip, and did the upgrade with it attached.
> Then I booted with the printer plugged in. "lpq" says

>    waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

> OK, I re-upgraded, ie from 6.0 to 6.0 (runs real fast!), but
> with the printer on the parallel port during the upgrade. No improvement.

> Yes. I've tried restarting the LP daemon (using the "lpd" menu
> of the Print System Manager popup from control-panel). /var/log/messages
> got
>    localhost lpd: lpd shutdown succeeded
>    localhost lpd: lpd startup succeeded

> but lpq's opinion is still "offline".

> ?? Any ideas ??
> --
> Don
> Donald C. Lindsay   www.best.com/~dlindsay

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Red Hat 5.2->6.0 upgrade: my printer is offline ???

Post by Chris Vi » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a parallel port zip, and did the upgrade with it attached.
>Then I booted with the printer plugged in. "lpq" says

>    waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)

>OK, I re-upgraded, ie from 6.0 to 6.0 (runs real fast!), but
>with the printer on the parallel port during the upgrade. No improvement.

>Yes. I've tried restarting the LP daemon (using the "lpd" menu
>of the Print System Manager popup from control-panel). /var/log/messages
>got
>    localhost lpd: lpd shutdown succeeded
>    localhost lpd: lpd startup succeeded

>but lpq's opinion is still "offline".

If Redhat 6.0 uses 2.2.* kernel and you previously used 2.0.*, you
will probably find that your printer port is now /dev/lp0 rather than
/dev/lp1 (see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes and
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt).

Chris.

--
If replying by e-mail, remove the --nospam--

1. Red Hat 5.2 to 6.0 upgrade

 Attempting to install Red Hat 6.0.  Here's the situation.  I have a
100MHz Pentium with 2 drives installed.  Hda has the root and swap
partitions.  Hdb (mounted as /hdrive2) is the directory I keep my
downloads on.  I recently downloaded all of the RH6 RPM's from
metalab.unc.edu to (hdb)/hdrive2/rh6/.  As the 5.2 installation is
totally fresh, I have no problems with trashing whatever is on hda to
get RH6 installed on it.  Would the best bet be to format hda & use
some type of boot disk to install the RH6 RPM's from /hdrive2/rh6?
What I tried to do was a fresh installation of RH5.2, then immediately
attempt to upgrade it with the RH6 RPM's.  This did not work too well.
Open to any suggestions!  If you post a reply, please copy to my email
address, or better yet, try to reach me via ICQ.  I'm geekin to get
this thing back up!

--

ICQ 37519713

2. Any news on Tyan Tomcat II?

3. Warning: Red Hat 6.0 upgrade affects trn -> Pnews -> inews

4. Determining number of processors with sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF)

5. Upgrading the Kernal from REd Hat 5.2 -> 5.0

6. 2.5.54 Makefile question: set -e

7. Red hat 5.2 and RAM > 1.0 Gb => problem?

8. Hostname change

9. Red Hat Upgrade 6.0->6.1 still failing.

10. Red Hat 6.0 vs. 5.2 for UDB

11. procinfo-rhcn-17 for Red Hat 5.2 and 6.0

12. Red Hat 6.0 vs. 5.2 for UDB