Only two Linux with coax cable

Post by Matthias Brau » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Help,

I have two Linux PCs and they work fine in my companys
network. Both have just a route to eth0 and no default route.
But if I connect them in a direct way via coax cable or twisted
pair cable they dont work. Ping has no responds, telnet after a while:
"telnet:  Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host".

Whats wrong? How to connect only two Linux PC without a hub? Should be
possible.

Thank's, Matthias

Post by Chris Bro » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Help,

> I have two Linux PCs and they work fine in my companys
> network. Both have just a route to eth0 and no default route.
> But if I connect them in a direct way via coax cable or twisted
> pair cable they dont work. Ping has no responds, telnet after a while:
> "telnet:  Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host".

> Whats wrong? How to connect only two Linux PC without a hub? Should be
> possible.

Read Ethernet-HOWTO, NET-3-HOWTO and the Network Administrator's Guide.

--
         In case you haven't noticed, win95 doesn't like anything,
        not even the hardware it runs on.  The only thing(s) win95

Only two Linux with coax cable

Post by John Stevenso » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Let's say you have to PCs
  PC1 - IP address 201.100.100.1
  PC2 - IP address 199.100.100.2
1. Make sure that you are logged in as root (superuser)
2. If you use coax everything is OK. But if you use twisted pair
   and you do not have a hub you must "cross" the appropriate
   pair of wires (transmit and receive)
3. On PC1 execute the route command:
   route add 199.100.100.2 eth0
4. On PC2 execute the route command:
   route add 201.100.100.1 eth0
These instructions are so simple that it is hardly worth reading the
three documents recommended by another user.
Quote:> Read Ethernet-HOWTO, NET-3-HOWTO and the Network Administrator's Guide.

Enjoy

Post by Peter Brook » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Let's say you have to PCs
>  PC1 - IP address 201.100.100.1
>  PC2 - IP address 199.100.100.2
>1. Make sure that you are logged in as root (superuser)
>2. If you use coax everything is OK. But if you use twisted pair
>   and you do not have a hub you must "cross" the appropriate
>   pair of wires (transmit and receive)
>3. On PC1 execute the route command:
>   route add 199.100.100.2 eth0
>4. On PC2 execute the route command:
>   route add 201.100.100.1 eth0
>These instructions are so simple that it is hardly worth reading the
>three documents recommended by another user.
>> Read Ethernet-HOWTO, NET-3-HOWTO and the Network Administrator's Guide.
>Enjoy

is it as easy as this to connect a unix box and a box running win95,
or would their be some other pointers needed
thanks
peter
GW0DFK
also at:

1. Only two Linux with coax cable

Help,

I have two Linux PCs and they work fine in my companys
network. Both have just a route to eth0 and no default route.
But if I connect them in a direct way via coax cable or twisted
pair cable they dont work. Ping has no responds, telnet after a while:
"telnet:  Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host".

Whats wrong? How to connect only two Linux PC without a hub? Should be
possible.

Thank's, Matthias

2. Mouse wheel ?

3. Cable/ Coax Card for a Router

4. Automounting /net/<hostname>

5. hp100: Detect coax cabling

6. hme_remove - hme not on list???

7. Help: Installing DOS box using Solaris 2.4, thin coax cabling

8. fetchmail sender domain must resolve error???

9. Please, Only If you know the answer - Written steps for terminating coax cable for ethernet setup.

10. How To terminate Coax Cable

11. Problem networking two computers WD8013 - Coax - ifconfig - route- hosts?

12. Direct-cable conection between Linux/Win95 & second Linux machines

13. load balance two two nic cards, one cable modem?