Matrox Millenium 1 with RedHat 7.1

Post by enriqu » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:56:51

> I have looked at http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status18.html#18 which
> states that the card is supported by the XF86_SVGA server with the mga
> driver.

current is 4.2.0 and it looks like you are using 3.3.x

Quote:> Does the line 'Device Matrox Millenium' map onto the 'mga' driver, or
> should I replace 'svga' with 'mga'?

No try to upgrade to 4.2.0 then you should be able to use the mga driver.

--
Mvh. / Kind regards
Henrik Farre

Matrox Millenium 1 with RedHat 7.1

Post by David W.E. Robert » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:41:09

Henrik,
thanks - also just found the mapping to the mga driver in the XF86Config-4
file.
Still think the XFree bundled with RedHat 7.1 should handle an original
Matrox Millenium 1 (1995 vintage) as this used to be a popular card.
Oh, well - I have ordered a new PCI card (no AGP in my P120) but am now
reading badish things about Geforce 2 cards.
Cheers
Dave R

Post by Jim Bowerin » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 02:33:56

> Hi,
> struggling with my video card - it keeps* the system even though it
> should be well supported.
> In my XF86Config file I have no mention of the 'mga' driver, but have
> Section "Screen"
>     Driver      "svga"
>     # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
>     #Device      "Generic VGA"
>     Device      "Matrox Millennium"
>     Monitor     "CustomConfiguration"
>     DefaultColorDepth   16

My Matrox Millenium is working fine with Mandrake 8.2, XFree86-4.  Here are
a couple of relevant sections in my XF86Config-4:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Matrox Millennium"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver      "mga"

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device      "Matrox Millennium"
    Monitor     "Generic|Super VGA, 1024x768 at 87 Hz interlaced, 800x600 at
56 Hz"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

The only problem I've had is I can't seem to convince the system that I have
8MB of RAM on the card.  I've used the VideoRam  8192 line, but no luck.
Anyway, I can report that your card should work properly.

Quote:> --

1. Matrox Millenium 1 with RedHat 7.1

Henrik,
thanks - also just found the mapping to the mga driver in the XF86Config-4
file.
Still think the XFree bundled with RedHat 7.1 should handle an original
Matrox Millenium 1 (1995 vintage) as this used to be a popular card.
Oh, well - I have ordered a new PCI card (no AGP in my P120) but am now
reading badish things about Geforce 2 cards.
Cheers
Dave R

2. Req: Good Book on Networking

3. Install of 7.1 with Matrox Millenium - graphics freezes - HELP!

4. Looking for network analysis-programs

5. installation problems: matrox g550 and redhat 7.1

6. core file not recognised

7. Matrox Millenium MGA-G200 AGP under Redhat 5.2?

8. Hp JetAdmin setup for Solaris 2.x

9. matrox millenium II and redhat

10. Does Redhat 5.2 support the Matrox Millenium G200 AGP Video Card?

11. Using Metro-X 4.3.1 with a dual Matrox Millenium II on linux Redhat

12. Help Needed: XFree86 3.2, Redhat 4.2 & Matrox Millenium

13. XFree86 4.0 Multihead and Two Matrox Millenium 2 Cards under RedHat 5.2