HELP! SCSI:0 hosts

Post by Steve Hunte » Sat, 12 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I get the following just before a panic on RedHat41:
  SCSI : 0 hosts
  SCSI : detected total

Oddly enough, I have another installation (slak 1.2.13) which
works fine, and says:
Configuring Adaptec at IO:330, IRQ 15, DMA p
scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
scsi : 1 host.

I'm using loadlin as follows:
c:\linux\loadlin.exe c:\linux\img_rh41 aha1542=0x330 root=/dev/sda1 ro
vga=1

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

     Seer Technologies Inc -- http://www.seer.com

HELP! SCSI:0 hosts

Post by M. Buchenried » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I get the following just before a panic on RedHat41:
>  SCSI : 0 hosts
>  SCSI : detected total
>Oddly enough, I have another installation (slak 1.2.13) which
>works fine, and says:
>Configuring Adaptec at IO:330, IRQ 15, DMA p

                                ^^^^^^^

Quote:>scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
>scsi : 1 host.

Not a very clever move. IRQ 15 is usually reserved for the secondary
IDE channel. Try using a different interrupt. The kernel you're
trying to boot most probably has support for the secondary IDE channel
built-in, thus refusing to recognize the settings of your SCSI card.

Michael

Satellite Safety Tip #4:
                If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.

HELP! SCSI:0 hosts

Post by Z-Y [Jerry » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I get the following when isntalling RedHat4.2 off the official CD,

Quote:> >  SCSI : 0 hosts
> >  SCSI : detected total

Then I tried to specify parameteres to load NCR53c406a driver to detect
it. Either "cannot find"  or "1 host, timeout error, try hard, ..hang".

However, Debian 1.3 installation detect my SCSI cd-rom promptly at boot.
Although my adapter is NCR53c406a chip based, the driver used by Debian
seems to be QlogicFAS. I go back to Redhat, and use QlogicFas, only find
the same failsure "not find". Since qlogicfas driver won't allow any
parameters, I don't what I can do and don't know why the same driver won't
work at REdhat.

Can someone tell me why? Better if you could
tell me how to let Redhat find the scsi adpater so that I can isntall from
teh CD-ROM. Many thanks!

boot log from Debian 1.3

Quote:>> kernel: scsi0 : Qlogicfas Driver version 0.45, chip 58 at 230, IRQ -1,
TPdma:1
>> kernel: scsi : 1 host.
>> kernel:   Vendor: SANYO     Model: CRD-254S Rev: 1.01
>> kernel:   Type:   CD-ROM       ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>> kernel: Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
>> kernel: scsi0 : channel 0 target 1 lun 1 request sense failed,
>> performing reset.
>> kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
>> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout: pid 3, scsi0,

channel 0, id 1, lun 1 Request Sense 20 00 00 10 00

Quote:>> kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI cdrom total.

The CD-rom drive (Sanyo 254s)  with a sound-card is from Media vision.
It works just fine in DOS and windows.

 YU, Zhongbin                             In Nature I believe :-)
    Chem. Dept., Emory University       |  Surface Chem. Lab, Fudan U.
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~zyu/  |     Shanghai, 200433

1. Help! scsi 0 hosts

Hi

I have just bought an Adaptec AHA 2920 PCI SCSI-2 controller
card for my Pentium 75.
The card is on Red Hat's hardware compatibility list which says
it uses the future domain driver, fdomain.o

I use Red Hat 4.2 Linux.

I cannot get the card to work with Linux.
It works fine on the sma machine using win95.

The BIOS detects it before LILO boot prompt comes up OK.

On boot it says
SCSI hosts
0 detected

When I physiclly installed this hardware, I put it
into the PCI slot that my VGA card was in and put the
VGA card into another slot (so I could line up the scsi
port with the casing)

Anyway, the VGA works OK with LInux, it didn't seem to notice
I'd moved it, and win95 just found new hardware and that all
works.

WEll, I have tried in linux
typing

 modprobe fdomain

and it says  Initialisation of Fdomain Failed

But when I type more /proc/pci it lists

SCSI Future Domain TMC-18C30 IRQ 11
I/O 6000
Bus 0 Device 11 fn 0

so Linux knows it exisits? Doesn't it?

There are no IRQ conflicts, I have checked them all,
and they are the same both on linux and Win95.

The SCSI card is on IRQ11, VGA card on IRQ9.

I have even tried recompiliing my kernel
to ensure that fdomin is in main not as a module,
but it could not find my scsi card when I tried to choose
it.

Anyway, it should all work I'm told.
Is the driver wrong?  corrupt?

Should I type something at the boot prompt to force detection?
If so what?

Does anyone know of an alternative SCSI driver that will work?

All I have on the end of my SCSI card is an Iomega 1GB Jaz drive.
I want to use the Jaz drive on Linux, format the disk etc
but I cannot even get the card to work.
I have tried connecting nothing to the card, still not joy,
so no termination problems (i have tried all settings on Jaz drive).
Connecting a SCSI external CD makes no difference either.

Please help if you can (Red hat support won't help anymore
as my 1 month period has run out - I am stuck!!!!).

I have read all the READMES, and done as much as I can.
I am stuck well and truly.

Any advice most welcome.

Sincerely

Will Berriss
------------

Department of Engineering
The University of Reading
Whiteknights
Reading                     Tel:  0118 987 5123
Berkshire                     (+44 118 987 5123 outside UK)
RG6 6AY
England                     Fax:  0118 931 3327

World Wide Web Home Page:

http://www.elec.rdg.ac.uk/people/postgrads/will.html

2. SUMMARY:[lmgrd error]

3. One SCSI Card, 21 SCSI Hosts?

4. 3.0 Slackware/Partition Magic/Warp Boot Manager

5. ide-scsi, 1394-sbp2 and usb-storage scsi host ids

6. syncing fs from inside a kernel module

7. How to get SCSI-Host nr from generic SCSI device?

8. building the kernel

9. SCSI host going, SCSI tape drive not?

10. : 2.5.48 SCSI Host - No Error Handling (ide-scsi)?

11. SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 4 - L440GX , Adaptec AIC7xx and RedHat SCSI Errors

12. PCI-SCSI = scsi: 0 hosts ?

13. ide-scsi, 1394-sbp2 and usb-storage scsi host ids