Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I am trying to partition a 4GB SCSI hard drive into a large number of
: partitions (about 10), but can't get linux's FDISK program to do it
: without complaining about some kind of error or something.

Use fdisk 3.03.
If you prefer a conversational interface, use fdisk 2.1.
In the latter case you may have to ignore some meaningless
error messages.

Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

Post by Michael Na » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello there,

First of all, I'm using Linux 1.2.8, with my own compiled kernel.

I am trying to partition a 4GB SCSI hard drive into a large number of
partitions (about 10), but can't get linux's FDISK program to do it
without complaining about some kind of error or something.

I will lay out a bit of the history, and then I will repeat the
question.

I have a 4GB hard drive, and I am having trouble partitioning it
satisfactorily.  I have Linux already installed, but the current
partition information has a few:

Partition X does not end on cylinder boundary

messages, and when I do a "v" for verify, I get a few screenfuls of
error messages such as

Partition 1: head 255 greater than maximum 64
Partition 1: sector 63 greater than maximum 32
Partition 1: previous sectors 1028159 disagrees with total 133246

and a couple:

Warning: partition 1 overlaps partition 5

Now, I am trying to get the drive split into a large number of
partitions (more than 4, in the range of 10), and when I add an
extended partition, any of the logical partitions seem to go haywire.
The "p" command gives:

Device        Boot    Begin    Start    End    Blocks      ID
/dev/sda1        *           1          1        503    whatever  83

/dev/sda2                    65       503      3813   whatever  83

Now, the "begin" column of sda2 is less than the "end" of sda1, and
the "v" command complains about this.

Now again, here's the problem:

I am trying to partition a 4GB SCSI hard drive into a large number of
partitions (about 10), but can't get linux's FDISK program to do it
without complaining about some kind of error or something.

Does ANYONE have any suggestions?  Will I have any problems if I just
leave the partitions as is?  What is the relationship between the
"start" and the "begin" columns?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael Nagy

Please try to reply directly via email:  My news-host is VERY
inconsistent, and I do not receive about 1/3 of all news messages.
Michael Nagy

a.k.a. Dekker, Fluellen of Exeter
------------------------------------
My Home Page
http://www.nucleus.com/~nagym/phpl.cgi?pages/home.html
Red Dwarf Home Page, FAQ, and Plot Inconsistencies Project:
http://www.nucleus.com/~nagym/phpl.cgi?pages/Red_Dwarf/rdwarf.html
NOTE:  These pages are due to move in the coming weeks..
Expect new addresses for October

Post by Teh Che » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Hello there,

: First of all, I'm using Linux 1.2.8, with my own compiled kernel.
[snip]
: Partition X does not end on cylinder boundary

not a big deal.  it means exactly as it sounds.

: messages, and when I do a "v" for verify, I get a few screenfuls of
: error messages such as

: Partition 1: head 255 greater than maximum 64
: Partition 1: sector 63 greater than maximum 32
: Partition 1: previous sectors 1028159 disagrees with total 133246

not sure about these....

: and a couple:

: Warning: partition 1 overlaps partition 5

this you should worry about.  if you ever fill one partition
completely & it overlaps a latter partition, you'll end up
seriously damaging the file system on the latter partition.

: Now, I am trying to get the drive split into a large number of
: partitions (more than 4, in the range of 10), and when I add an
: extended partition, any of the logical partitions seem to go haywire.
: The "p" command gives:

as someone else already suggested, go to a newer version of fdisk

: Device        Boot    Begin    Start    End    Blocks      ID
: /dev/sda1        *           1          1        503    whatever  83

: /dev/sda2                    65       503      3813   whatever  83

: Now, the "begin" column of sda2 is less than the "end" of sda1, and
: the "v" command complains about this.

as above, this is bad...

: Now again, here's the problem:

: I am trying to partition a 4GB SCSI hard drive into a large number of
: partitions (about 10), but can't get linux's FDISK program to do it
: without complaining about some kind of error or something.

: Does ANYONE have any suggestions?  Will I have any problems if I just
: leave the partitions as is?  What is the relationship between the
: "start" and the "begin" columns?

Large SCSI hard drive and partitions (4GB drive)

Post by David Lesh » Sat, 30 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>: Now, I am trying to get the drive split into a large number of
>: partitions (more than 4, in the range of 10), and when I add an
>: extended partition, any of the logical partitions seem to go haywire.

I've heard talk that in some cases, the partition table
does not have room.

The solution was to make all the big partitions "extended" not
primary.

Since I'm not blessed with such a large drive, I've no way to
test this theory......

--

& no one will talk to a host that's close...........(v)301 56 LINUX
is busy, hung or dead........vr vr vr vr.................20915-1433

1. Large (>8.4GB) hard drive partition

Does anyone know how to successfully partition for linux a very large hard
drive?  I have free, unpartitioned space at the end of the drive, but when I
try to write linux and linux swap logical partitions, cfdisk gives an error
saying that it has written a partition table but cannot re-read from it.

thanks,

Brian

2. The Joys of PCI Cards!!

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. What is _the_ threads package ?

5. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

6. large hard drive compatibility

7. Linux and a large (4Gb) scsi drive

8. .sh_history for ksh, how about csh

9. Replaced scsi hard drive can no longer find scsi tape drive

10. 36GB Hard Drive - Very Large Drive Support

11. Large Hard Drive Partitioning