Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Philip Lerne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a Dell R400 with a turtle Beach montego soundcard. I use Corel
linux (COLOS) kernel is 2.2.12.  I did a standard desktop plus install
and seem to have everything working except for sound because the Aureal
8820 chip on my card is not supported. (I own the standard version so no
OSS drivers). This weekend i downloaded the Aureal drivers extracted and
ran make install20 as root. The output was mostly error messages and
sound does not work.  I've seen many similar posts in the NG's and whole
bunch of bug reports with similar problems at the Aureal site
linux.aureal.com.

I haven't fully understood the suggestions but from the pieces that I
have understood. I am wondering wheter COLOS installs sound support in
the kernel if it does not recognize the card I do not recall being asked
during install). What is the difference between  support in the kernel
and module support? How do I check to see if I have it and which type I
have. How do install sound supprt if I don't have it. I assume that all
this is required before I can get the aureal drivers to work, or am i on
the wrong track?

Phil Lerner

  lerner.vcf
< 1K Download

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Philip Lerne » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Re my prior message, i tried to delete prior posts but left in line
attributing msg to David Kanter, message is mine , sorry David

Post by Keenan Clay Wilk » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi.  a bit of news.  As of yesterday (mine too!) is now officially supported
>by aureal drivers.  The Turtle Beach Montego II A3D card is based on the
>aureal vortex 2 chipset which now  has drivers.  Go to linux.aureal.com ,
>their are directions there on installing the driver and from everything ive
>heard they work quite well,

I've tried them and I get Unresolved symbols errors when they try to
install:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/block/ide-probe-mod.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/pcmcia/mpsuni_cs.o

*sigh*.  I'm too much of a linux newbie to figure this out on my own.

Post by Alastair Presto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I've tried them and I get Unresolved symbols errors when they try to
> install:
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/block/ide-probe-mod.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/pcmcia/mpsuni_cs.o

> *sigh*.  I'm too much of a linux newbie to figure this out on my own.

You're not the only one. I'm getting a whole bunch of such unresolved
symbol errors when I try to install the Aureal drivers. I'm using
Mandrake 6.0 with kernel 2.2.13 and I suspect I recompiled it with the
wrong sound options.

Al Preston

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I've tried them and I get Unresolved symbols errors when they try to
> install:
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/block/ide-probe-mod.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.13/pcmcia/mpsuni_cs.o

I get these too, for other modules... no idea why or how to fix them.

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by David J. Kant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

All I have is:

/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/au8830.o
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/soundcore.o

(Sound support was compiled as a module; the card is plug and play)

And in my /etc/modules:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
[snip]
#auto
[snip]
au8830