Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Vincent DECOU » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
card).
It has got standard Input/output jack plugs, but the bass booster has
got a USB cable.
Under Win 98, I used to plug the USB cable into the USB port of the PC
and it was
autodetected (in addition to the jack output of the card which was
plugged to the input
of the bass booster).

How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
device ?

Is it necessary to configure it or is it a sort of non necessary "plus"
? (what I want first is
getting a sound out of my PC using linux which is currently 100% mute,
I'll see later for
the fine tuning).

Where can I find drivers / information ?

Thanks in advance if you can help. Please CC: me with your answer to the
newsgroup.

Vincent

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> card).
> How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> device ?

The Linux hardware HOWTO
(http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html), Section 13.3, lists
the TB Montego card as unsupported by Linux.  Whether that list is
up-to-date, I don't know.

Good luck.
Andrew.

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Vincent DECOU » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the answer.

That's what I feared. Is there any way to use the card with a different
(maybe lower level)
driver to avoid buying a new one ?
Also, I've seen that some Turtle Beach cards are supported in Linux but not
all of them.
And last point, when I run "sndconfig" it detects a card and says the card
detected is of
the type "Aureal Vortex 2" which has got nothing to do with Turtle Beach
Montego II A3D
Cheers

Vincent

> > Hi,

> > I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> > card).
> > How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> > device ?

> The Linux hardware HOWTO
> (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html), Section 13.3, lists
> the TB Montego card as unsupported by Linux.  Whether that list is
> up-to-date, I don't know.

> Good luck.
> Andrew.

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> That's what I feared. Is there any way to use the card with a different
> (maybe lower level)
> driver to avoid buying a new one ?
> Also, I've seen that some Turtle Beach cards are supported in Linux but not
> all of them.
> And last point, when I run "sndconfig" it detects a card and says the card
> detected is of
> the type "Aureal Vortex 2" which has got nothing to do with Turtle Beach
> Montego II A3D

I'm afraid I don't know much about sound cards, and I've never used
sndconfig so I can't help you there.  But don't buy a new sound card
yet.  My guess is that you can find another driver that will work well
enough with your card.  Maybe another TB driver? although brand probably
has less to do with it than features.

Apparently your card is a more advanced one so it would be a shame to
trade down.

A.

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Vincent DECOU » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi again Andrew,

actually I have found a COMMERCIAL driver in beta version on the OSS sound web
site
It's located at :
        www.opensound.com/linux-x86.html
It's a test version only working 3 hours at a time, but that suits me for the
time being. The problem
is I don't want to pay $30.00 for a sound driver on Linux !

Thank you very much indeed for your help

Vincent

> > That's what I feared. Is there any way to use the card with a different
> > (maybe lower level)
> > driver to avoid buying a new one ?
> > Also, I've seen that some Turtle Beach cards are supported in Linux but not
> > all of them.
> > And last point, when I run "sndconfig" it detects a card and says the card
> > detected is of
> > the type "Aureal Vortex 2" which has got nothing to do with Turtle Beach
> > Montego II A3D

> I'm afraid I don't know much about sound cards, and I've never used
> sndconfig so I can't help you there.  But don't buy a new sound card
> yet.  My guess is that you can find another driver that will work well
> enough with your card.  Maybe another TB driver? although brand probably
> has less to do with it than features.

> Apparently your card is a more advanced one so it would be a shame to
> trade down.

> A.

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Mike Food » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.  a bit of news.  As of yesterday (mine too!) is now officially supported
by aureal drivers.  The Turtle Beach Montego II A3D card is based on the
aureal vortex 2 chipset which now  has drivers.  Go to linux.aureal.com ,
their are directions there on installing the driver and from everything ive
heard they work quite well,

good luck

michael foody

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> card).
> It has got standard Input/output jack plugs, but the bass booster has
> got a USB cable.
> Under Win 98, I used to plug the USB cable into the USB port of the PC
> and it was
> autodetected (in addition to the jack output of the card which was
> plugged to the input
> of the bass booster).

> How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> device ?

> Is it necessary to configure it or is it a sort of non necessary "plus"
> ? (what I want first is
> getting a sound out of my PC using linux which is currently 100% mute,
> I'll see later for
> the fine tuning).

> Where can I find drivers / information ?

> Thanks in advance if you can help. Please CC: me with your answer to the
> newsgroup.

> Vincent

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Andrew E. Schulma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Hi.  a bit of news.  As of yesterday (mine too!) is now officially supported
> by aureal drivers.  The Turtle Beach Montego II A3D card is based on the
> aureal vortex 2 chipset which now  has drivers.  Go to linux.aureal.com ,
> their are directions there on installing the driver and from everything ive
> heard they work quite well,

This is good news.  I suggest that you report it to the author of the
Linux hardware HOWTO.

Post by Alastair Presto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi Andrew,

> thanks for the answer.

> That's what I feared. Is there any way to use the card with a different
> (maybe lower level)
> driver to avoid buying a new one ?
> Also, I've seen that some Turtle Beach cards are supported in Linux but not
> all of them.
> And last point, when I run "sndconfig" it detects a card and says the card
> detected is of
> the type "Aureal Vortex 2" which has got nothing to do with Turtle Beach
> Montego II A3D

Wrong. It has everything to do with it. It's telling you that your card
has the Aureal Vortex 2 chip - that's why it has "A3D" in it's name.
You'll need an Aureal Vortex driver to get any sound from the card. The
only one I know of is 4Front Technology's OSS driver, which is currently
in beta. Check out www.opensound.com, or check www.a3d.com for further
information.

I can't help with the USB part of your question, sorry.

Al Preston

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Vincent DECOU » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

That's excellent Mike !
I just went there and downloaded the whole stuff.
I'll try it right away. Is it working fine for you ?
Yesterday, I installed the beta version of OSS driver (limited to 3 hrs use)
and it works fine too ... but it's beta **and** commercial...
Cheers
Vincent

> Hi.  a bit of news.  As of yesterday (mine too!) is now officially supported
> by aureal drivers.  The Turtle Beach Montego II A3D card is based on the
> aureal vortex 2 chipset which now  has drivers.  Go to linux.aureal.com ,
> their are directions there on installing the driver and from everything ive
> heard they work quite well,

> good luck

> michael foody

> > Hi,

> > I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> > card).
> > It has got standard Input/output jack plugs, but the bass booster has
> > got a USB cable.
> > Under Win 98, I used to plug the USB cable into the USB port of the PC
> > and it was
> > autodetected (in addition to the jack output of the card which was
> > plugged to the input
> > of the bass booster).

> > How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> > device ?

> > Is it necessary to configure it or is it a sort of non necessary "plus"
> > ? (what I want first is
> > getting a sound out of my PC using linux which is currently 100% mute,
> > I'll see later for
> > the fine tuning).

> > Where can I find drivers / information ?

> > Thanks in advance if you can help. Please CC: me with your answer to the
> > newsgroup.

> > Vincent

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Alastair Presto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Further to my previous reply:

Aureal has just released a driver for the Vortex 1 and Vortex 2 A3D
cards; go to linux.aureal.com to get the driver and info.

> Hi,

> I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> card).
> It has got standard Input/output jack plugs, but the bass booster has
> got a USB cable.
> Under Win 98, I used to plug the USB cable into the USB port of the PC
> and it was
> autodetected (in addition to the jack output of the card which was
> plugged to the input
> of the bass booster).

> How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> device ?

> Is it necessary to configure it or is it a sort of non necessary "plus"
> ? (what I want first is
> getting a sound out of my PC using linux which is currently 100% mute,
> I'll see later for
> the fine tuning).

> Where can I find drivers / information ?

> Thanks in advance if you can help. Please CC: me with your answer to the
> newsgroup.

> Vincent

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Alastair Presto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It isn't up to date. Aureal has just released a driver for their Aureal
Vortex A3D chips which is what his TB Montego uses.

> > Hi,

> > I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> > card).
> > How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> > device ?

> The Linux hardware HOWTO
> (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO.html), Section 13.3, lists
> the TB Montego card as unsupported by Linux.  Whether that list is
> up-to-date, I don't know.

> Good luck.
> Andrew.

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Andy Wag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I have a RDell 450 with a Turtle Beach Montego II PCI Sound Card.
Has anyone got this to work yet, I downloaded the Aureal driver, but the
install failed
reporting the device as busy. I rebuilt my kernel with sound support and got
it to
install. However, the system almost ground to a halt. Following reboot it
was very
slow after loading the sound module and never suceeded in fully booting,
(had to
boot in emergency mode, remount / as rw and delete the au88xx module).

Andy

> Hi,

> I have a DELL PC with a Turtle Beach Montego II A3D sound card (PCI
> card).
> It has got standard Input/output jack plugs, but the bass booster has
> got a USB cable.
> Under Win 98, I used to plug the USB cable into the USB port of the PC
> and it was
> autodetected (in addition to the jack output of the card which was
> plugged to the input
> of the bass booster).

> How shall I configure it under Linux ? Does Linux know this type of USB
> device ?

> Is it necessary to configure it or is it a sort of non necessary "plus"
> ? (what I want first is
> getting a sound out of my PC using linux which is currently 100% mute,
> I'll see later for
> the fine tuning).

> Where can I find drivers / information ?

> Thanks in advance if you can help. Please CC: me with your answer to the
> newsgroup.

> Vincent

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Alastair Presto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Did you recompile for modular sound or built in sound? I tried modular
sound, and am getting a load of errors on the au88xx compile (withe
install10, I have a Vortex 1 card).

> Hi,

> I have a RDell 450 with a Turtle Beach Montego II PCI Sound Card.
> Has anyone got this to work yet, I downloaded the Aureal driver, but the
> install failed
> reporting the device as busy. I rebuilt my kernel with sound support and got
> it to
> install. However, the system almost ground to a halt. Following reboot it
> was very
> slow after loading the sound module and never suceeded in fully booting,
> (had to
> boot in emergency mode, remount / as rw and delete the au88xx module).

> Andy

Setup for sound card Turtle beach Montego II A3D (+USB)

Post by Andy Wag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

I went for built in sound, that way the install (8820) worked apart from
my system locking up :(. Otherwise, the install failed event if i manually loaded
the
sound module.

Andy.

Post by David J. Kant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> > Hi,

>> > I have a RDell 450 with a Turtle Beach Montego II PCI Sound Card.
>> > Has anyone got this to work yet,

Sounds like we have the same computer, bro', and I got all to work fine on
Sunday.

I got the latest stable kernel, and compiled sound support as a module
because the card is PnP. The isapnptools package takes care of all the
plugging and playing on boot up.

So after I compiled the new kernel, I rebooted. Then compiled the Aureal
drivers, make install, and the speakers went "pop!" as the module was
inserted. I'm listening to a CD right now.

Only problem is that I have to insmod the module after rebooting; kmod won't
load it automatically and I don't know why. No big deal for now.

Let me know if you need a hand.

--
David J. Kanter