Adaptec 2940W with Quantum 4.3GB fast-wide HD

Adaptec 2940W with Quantum 4.3GB fast-wide HD

Post by boul.. » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I have the same config and I am currently in the process of setting things right.  Both Windows
95 and OS/2 install were flawless.  The Quantum is fast but very noisy like a jet engine. If
I had a choice I would take the Seagate Barracuda instead. I have installed Win95 on C and
OS/2 Warp Connect on D.  Last night I tried to install Slackware 3.0 but for some reason when
I restart the darn thing won't boot.  Well I have the weekend to tinker around.

Hope that helps.

Boulton

1. Adaptec 2940W with Quantum 4.3GB fast-wide HD

I've used the Grand Prix series in my Sparc 20; I've not been
impressed thus far.  I've been much happier with the Micropolis
4.3FW/AV, or failing that, the Seagate Barracuda series.

I'm currently running a pair of Micropolis 3243W/AVs on my news
server; they take a serious pounding, but I haven't had a bit of
trouble from them yet...

Unlike the Seagate Hawks they replaced, which overheated and went into
SCSI bus errors at least once per week, even *with* the case off and a
fan blowing directly on them.  The Quantum GP I 'evaluated' (i.e. sent
back in disgust) died under load after a week.

Hope this helps; Insight and DC Drives both have great prices on the
Micropolis and Seagate products, BTW.  And they'll advance-ship a
replacement if yours dies...

Trevor

Yours,

Internet Engineer, WWW Developer ---------------- voice: (910) 673-3300
Alphanet South Corporation ---- A Full-Service Internet Access Provider

2. examples of readdir_r

3. linux/Xfree on a dec HiNote VP500

4. Fast and Wide Followup (Fast wide SCSI drivers, anyone?)

5. Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

6. hp fast wide --> ultra fast wide

7. having problem in installing licq

8. question about fast wide and fast wide diff drives

9. Adaptec 2940W and quantum 3150W compatibility with linux

10. 2940W+Quantum HD

11. Does Linux support the Adaptec 2940W SCSI controller (wide)

12. Linux & Wide-SCSI-Adaptec 2940w?