Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

Post by Wayne Collin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just installed Linux Mandrake 6.0 (Redhat) on my Pentium II 333 but I
cannoot get any sound out of my Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI (ISA) Sound Card. I
thought this (older) soundblaster would work with minimal fuss, bit I get
nothing. And I am a Linux Newbie so I am not sure how to go in and check and
fix the problem. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed ? I'm not even
sure where to look for the sound driver settings.

Post by wayn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I just installed Linux Mandrake 6.0 (Redhat) on my Pentium II 333 but I
> cannoot get any sound out of my Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI (ISA) Sound
Card. I
> thought this (older) soundblaster would work with minimal fuss, bit I get
> nothing. And I am a Linux Newbie so I am not sure how to go in and check
and
> fix the problem. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed ? I'm not
even
> sure where to look for the sound driver settings.

> Hello wayne:Heres what you do.Go to kde as root.Click on the little tv

screen icon that has a seashell in front of it.Type /usr/sbin/sndconfig
and then hit enter.This will bring up a graphical tool that is easy to

Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

Post by Peopl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

when I run sndconfig, it can recognize my SoundBlaster AudioPCI card. but I
can't listen cd.

> > I just installed Linux Mandrake 6.0 (Redhat) on my Pentium II 333 but I
> > cannoot get any sound out of my Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI (ISA) Sound
> Card. I
> > thought this (older) soundblaster would work with minimal fuss, bit I
get
> > nothing. And I am a Linux Newbie so I am not sure how to go in and check
> and
> > fix the problem. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed ? I'm not
> even
> > sure where to look for the sound driver settings.

> > Hello wayne:Heres what you do.Go to kde as root.Click on the little tv
> screen icon that has a seashell in front of it.Type /usr/sbin/sndconfig
> and then hit enter.This will bring up a graphical tool that is easy to

> --

Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI

Post by Alex » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:04:11 -0330, Wayne Collins

>6.0 (Redhat) on my Pentium II 333 but I cannoot get any sound out of my
>Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI (ISA) Sound Card. I thought this (older)
>soundblaster would work with minimal fuss, bit I get nothing. And I am a
>Linux Newbie so I am not sure how to go in and check and fix the problem.
>Any suggestions as to how I should proceed ? I'm not even sure where to
>look for the sound driver settings.

First, check if your sound card has been detected and sound drivers have
been loaded/compiled into your kernel. Type:

cat /proc/sound

You should get something like this (I haven't got a SB, so if your card has
been detected and sound drivers are installed you have different info):

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux snowflake.home 2.2.5-15 #3 mar nov 9 14:09:15 CET 1999 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: MS Sound System
Type 27: Compaq Deskpro XL
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 37: Loopback MIDI Device

Card config:
Compaq Deskpro XL at 0x530 irq 7 drq 1,0
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0
Loopback MIDI Device drq 0

Audio devices:
0: MSS audio codec (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0: Loopback MIDI Port 1
1: Loopback MIDI Port 2

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: MSS audio codec (CS4231)

Second, run sndconfig. it's a tool which helps you to configure your system:
choose your sound card and set your card setting accordingly (irq, dma ...).

Post by root » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 00:04:11 -0330, Wayne Collins
:>6.0 (Redhat) on my Pentium II 333 but I cannoot get any sound out of my
:>Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI (ISA) Sound Card. I thought this (older)
:>soundblaster would work with minimal fuss, bit I get nothing. And I am a
:>Linux Newbie so I am not sure how to go in and check and fix the problem.
:>Any suggestions as to how I should proceed ? I'm not even sure where to
:>look for the sound driver settings.

Another way to go, if the other advice fails, is to download fresh kernel
sources for 2.2.13 (say, from ftp.kernel.org) and compile a new kernel - the
sound card support has been improved, and compiling it with default settings
for my SB 16 compiled into the kernel was all that was needed to get it
working (never even looked at the utilities others are mentioning). Although
you can also update to the Mandrake version of the 2.2.13 kernel, I don't
recommend it - they've left out some of the drivers that are in the real
distribution (for some ethernet cards, anyhow, which caused me a real pain
recently), and set up defaults that are much less realistic than those in
the real kernel distribution. Whether it's Red Hat or Mandrake, you're
almost always better off making a fresh kernel from the original sources
(but be sure to keep the old one around as backup while experimenting).