errors during initial boot

Post by Wall » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:25:25

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a linux box out of an old 486SX that has been sitting
around unused WAY too long.

Here's some info about the machine:
It's a Tandy 1000 with an Intel 486SX processor, 4MB RAM, 8X ADAPI CDROM,
and a Seagate 1275MB HD (model ST31276A).
I've been attempting to install various versions of RedHat (5.2 - 7.1), but
during the boot process the machine freezes. I booted the machine it DOS,
but when I tried to run fdisk I kept receiving messages that DOS coud not
detect the HD. I downloaded some diag aoftware from Seagate and the HD seems
to be fine now, yet the problem with linux persists...

During the initial boot sequence all seems well...all devices (HD, floppy,
CDROM, etc.) are detected. Then I get the following messages and the machine
locks-up:
Partition Check:
hda: hda1

The HD, once I ran the Seagate diag tools, was configured via fdisk with 1
partition

Anyone have any ideas/guidance?

Thanks in advance,
M0ng0

errors during initial boot

Post by Dave » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:54:57

Does the BIOS support a 1.3 GB drive?  One thing you have to be careful
of is that when the HD makers were coming out with drives that were too
large for the BIOSes to handle, they usually included a software layer
to compensate for it.  If I remember correctly, this software sat in
place of the MBR on the disk, and the boot table was then placed
somewhere else.

Another thing that comes to mind is to be careful that the disk isn't
compressed, as it was fairly common in the 486 days to have the OS
compress the partitions in order double the capacity.

If you haven't already and you don't care about any data that might be
on the disk, I would suggest using the Seagate partition utility that
came with the disk to do a full, clean reformat of the drive instead of
using fdisk from a DOS disk or something.  And if you go this route,
make sure you do not include the BIOS compensating software that I
mentioned above (as linux is not subjected to BIOS limitations).

Dave

>Hi all,

>I'm trying to build a linux box out of an old 486SX that has been sitting
>around unused WAY too long.

>Here's some info about the machine:
>It's a Tandy 1000 with an Intel 486SX processor, 4MB RAM, 8X ADAPI CDROM,
>and a Seagate 1275MB HD (model ST31276A).
>I've been attempting to install various versions of RedHat (5.2 - 7.1), but
>during the boot process the machine freezes. I booted the machine it DOS,
>but when I tried to run fdisk I kept receiving messages that DOS coud not
>detect the HD. I downloaded some diag aoftware from Seagate and the HD seems
>to be fine now, yet the problem with linux persists...

>During the initial boot sequence all seems well...all devices (HD, floppy,
>CDROM, etc.) are detected. Then I get the following messages and the machine
>locks-up:
>Partition Check:
>hda: hda1
>RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0

>The HD, once I ran the Seagate diag tools, was configured via fdisk with 1
>partition

>Anyone have any ideas/guidance?

>Thanks in advance,
>M0ng0

1. RH5.2 wont get past the initial boot prompt during installation

I am having trouble installing redhat linux 5.2  It will boot initially from
either cdrom directly / or from floppy but when it gets to the boot: prompt
and I press enter it starts to boot the kernel but then a bunch of words
flash by and it restarts my machine then starts all over from the
beginning(it will do this over and over) it does this when I type in
"expert" also. It seems to be an error message but it goes by too fast to
read. .I am running an amd k6 200mmx with 32M ram(EDO SIMM) on a M5ATA super
tx motherboard.
two hard drives a western digital caviar 6.4(master) and a seagate medalist
2.1(slave) Award modular bios version 4.51 and win95(OSR2)(Fat32) I have
tried totally reformatting both drives fat16, changing cmos settings such as
turning off cpu cache, udma,APM and so on it does the same thing.The only
thing that I can pick up when this happens is something about PCI but I cant
tell what.I am interested in trying linux but cant seem to get off the
ground.any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                                  James Vaughn

2. DNS settings

3. New: Rebooting of pentium-I during initial booting phase.

4. Can't compile with NAG libs

5. Swapper error during initial LILO Setup

6. not yelling but whats up?--:)

7. Error during boot: end_request: I/O error

8. Please help: Compiling Motif 1.2.4 on Sparc20/Solaris2.3

9. Error on Initial Floppy Boot to Install Fresh

10. Boot Error: can't open initial console

11. Initial boot error from floppy

12. Problem: 'boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk

13. Problem: 'Boot failed' upon initial try of boot disk.