I am having a problem getting my linux computer networked with my other
computers on my small network. While my other computers can ping each
other through tcp/ip, the linux box cannot ping the ip addresses of the
other computers, nor can they ping the linux box.
2 PCs running Win98
1 PC running Redhat Linux 6.1
Linux PC using LINKSYS EtherPCI LAN
1 LINKSYS 5 port Hub
file: conf.modules reads "alias eth0 ne2k-pci" (setup by Redhat
software upon discovering new hardware)
1. Linux PC can ping itself, and it appears that the network card my be
setup properly (no error messages on loading).
2. When the Linux PC attempts to ping the other computers, it reports
that the network is unreachable.
3. The other computers can ping each other, but not the Linux PC.
1. How can I confirm that the Linux PC network setup is working from the
2. Should any computer that is setup for tcp/ip on the hub be able to
ping the other?
3. What is a good simple setup for IP addresses, DNS, etc., for a local
Thanks, in advance.