Apple Imagewriter II and Linux - How ?

Post by Victoria Welc » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi All,

  First off thanks in advance for any pointer, help, suggestions, etc.

I have an Apple Imagewriter II that I would like to hook up to a
serial port on the linux box and be able to use it as a printer.  If
there is something out there, I've missed it.

Thanks & take care, Vikki.
--

Post by Jonathan Luck » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I have an Apple Imagewriter II that I would like to hook up to a
>serial port on the linux box and be able to use it as a printer.  If
>there is something out there, I've missed it.

The Serial howto has some help on this, but basically:

* Use an Mac modem cable (min DIN-8 to DB25) plugged into the IW II
  connected to the PC's serial port via a modem cable and null modem.

* Use setserial to tell linux to use the UART as an 8250.  (buffering
  in later UARTs can overflow the printer)

* Use stty to set rts/cts flow control and no post processing.

This gives you a basic draft printer.  Ghostscript has a IWII driver
availible, but its not usually compiled in to the binary releases.
but the C.ITOH driver often is, and works with the IW II.

This is from meory, and may contain erros, but I think it'll get you
going.

-- Jon Luckey

1. apple imagewriter II and linux

Well have been trying to make an apple imagwriter II work on my linux box.
My machine is a 486-66 with genoa 8500vl localbus video, generic uart 16450 ide
i/o controller, and 8 megs ram.  I first tried just using ghostscript to print a phostscript file.  I send output to a file and then cat foo >/dev/cua2 well it
sorta worked a little graphics then trash. so I tried setting up a pritcap entry
and running it from there, no luck I know it won't work with lpr because of
the port settings. I read th faq but never could get it to work, my ports do
work (irq's and all)and when I cat foo from dos it worked almost. SO I guess
my real question is how do I set the ports and has anyone else got an Imagewrite
too work.

Thanks,
Eric Buckhalt

--
Eric C. Buckhalt
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0493e

2. Request for /proc/cpuinfo

3. Using an Apple Imagewriter LQ with linux

4. Routing difficulties, OpenBSD 2.5 new installation

5. Screwed up LILO; can't boot Windows

6. (Apple) Imagewriter I & Linux

7. CDROM driver

8. Apple ImageWriter & Crystal Sound Blaster 16 ?s

9. Use of Apple Imagewriter printer

10. Hint on printing via Apple's serial Imagewriter printer

11. Hooking up an Apple ImageWriter printer to a Sun running Solaris