help needed: LILO stops with L and no error code

help needed: LILO stops with L and no error code

Post by Martin Dudl » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

hello

just setup a new box and installed linux on it. problem is that when
LILO should start
all i get is a L on the csreen. not even an error code (as described in
the manpage and
howto shows up).

hardware:

pentium II 300mhz
128mb sdram (1 module)
asus P2L97-S motherboard
adaptec AIC-7880 onboard with narrow and wide sockets (1 each). bios
1.24
matrox millennium II (non agp)
diamond monster3d 3dfx gfx accelerator
cheap pci ne2000 compatible ethernet card
soundblaster awe64
ibm 4,5 gb ultra wide scsi harddisk

software:
linux distribution 5.1 suse
linux kernel 2.0.32
LILO 20

hd setup:
/dev/sda1 - 2gb windows 95 partition
/dev/sda2 - extended partition (rest)
/dev/sda5 - 128mb linux swap partition
/dev/sda6 - 2+ gb linux native partition

no * lilo configuration in /etc/lilo.conf. the problem.

has anyone a hint or even the solution to my problem?
if possible please send also a copy of your answer to

appreciate your help,

-martin

help needed: LILO stops with L and no error code

Post by Rober » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

FAQ #201
FAQ #201: LILO hangs on LI
Entered on 1997-10-08 00:00:00 by , last updated on 1997-10-08 00:00:00.

Q:

How do I get LILO to stop* on 'LI'?

To fix things, try booting with
boot mount root=/dev/hdb2
LILO installation should be on your Master Boot Record unless you wish
to boot from a floppy,

   linux ramdisk=0 root=/dev/xxxx (where xxx is the root partition of your
         install ex. /dev/hdb2 for you)

Next, your root partition should be specified in /etc/lilo.conf
ex:

         boot=/dev/hdb2 (root partition)
         map=/boot/map
         install=/boot/boot.b
         prompt
         timeout=50
         image=/boot/vmlinuz
                  label=linux
                  label=linux
                  root=/dev/hdb2
                  read-only

Then go into /sbin and run lilo.. This should solve your problem..

This came off the Redhat site!!!!

Post by Matt Sexto » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> just setup a new box and installed linux on it. problem is that when
> LILO should start
> all i get is a L on the csreen. not even an error code (as described in
> the manpage and
> howto shows up).

I just had the same problem, having just installed RH 5.0 on a new
secondary HD, booting with LILO on the primary HD.

In the bios set up for the new HD, I had enabled LBA  mode
(something to do with Large Block reading).  The LAST step
in the RH setup was ..."if your hard drive is LBA, then enable
'linear mode' ".  I had not enabled Linear mode, so I repeated
the RH installation (maybe this was the long away around) and
when the install program asked, I enabled linear mode, and
voila, the LI... error went away.

--
Matt Sexton

help needed: LILO stops with L and no error code

Post by Andy Carls » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> in the RH setup was ..."if your hard drive is LBA, then enable
> 'linear mode' ".  I had not enabled Linear mode, so I repeated
> the RH installation (maybe this was the long away around) and
> when the install program asked, I enabled linear mode, and
> voila, the LI... error went away.

> --

The short way is to rerun lilo with the -l option.

/sbin/lilo -l

--
Andy Carlson                             |\      _,,,---,,_

BJC Health System                       |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
St. Louis, Missouri                    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
Cat Pics: http://www.anet-stl.com/~andyc/animal.html