L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by Andy Lyttl » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm running Slackware 3.5.0 on a pathetic pieced-together 486.  I can boot
from the Slackware install boot disk and run LILO to boot my system.  I can
use the Setup program to make a simple boot floppy (non-LILO) and boot my
system from it.  I can boot DOS and run LOADLIN to boot Linux.  However,
every time I install LILO, on floppy or hard drive, upon boot it says "L 01
01 01 01 01..." repeating indefinitely and scrolling.

Can anybody help me get LILO to work?  LOADLIN works for now, but "Starting
MS-DOS" annoys me.  At least point me in the right direction for
troubleshooting?  I'm relatively new at this.  Thanks!

                              - Andy Lyttle

                                http://www.bigfoot.com/~phroggy/

L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by Sydney Weidma » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I'm running Slackware 3.5.0 on a pathetic pieced-together 486.  I can boot
> from the Slackware install boot disk and run LILO to boot my system.  I can
> use the Setup program to make a simple boot floppy (non-LILO) and boot my
> system from it.  I can boot DOS and run LOADLIN to boot Linux.  However,
> every time I install LILO, on floppy or hard drive, upon boot it says "L 01
> 01 01 01 01..." repeating indefinitely and scrolling.

> Can anybody help me get LILO to work?  LOADLIN works for now, but "Starting
> MS-DOS" annoys me.  At least point me in the right direction for
> troubleshooting?  I'm relatively new at this.  Thanks!

>                               - Andy Lyttle

>                                 http://www.bigfoot.com/~phroggy/

According to the LILO documentation, L <error code> means that the first stage
boot loader has been loaded and started, but the second stage loader cannot be
loaded. This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters). The 01 error code supposedly means
"illegal command" which may indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not
supported by BIOS.

Hope this helps.

L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by Puchong Kijamnajsu » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

U must have dos floppy disk that have FDISK. At command prompt run FDISK
/MBR then boot dos again. And FDISK to activate the partition to active. If
you have any problem you should read LILO-HOWTO.

Post by Andy Lyttl » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> According to the LILO documentation, L <error code> means that the first stage
> boot loader has been loaded and started, but the second stage loader cannot be
> loaded. This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
> mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters). The 01 error code supposedly means
> "illegal command" which may indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not
> supported by BIOS.

> Hope this helps.

Well, that's a start.  No, my BIOS doesn't recognize my hard drive; the BIOS
is to old and the drive is too big.

The version of LILO on the installation boot disk works fine, though...

I'll see what I can come up with.  Maybe it would run off a smaller hard
drive...

                              - Andy Lyttle

                                http://www.bigfoot.com/~phroggy/

L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by Andy Lyttl » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> U must have dos floppy disk that have FDISK. At command prompt run FDISK
> /MBR then boot dos again. And FDISK to activate the partition to active. If
> you have any problem you should read LILO-HOWTO.

I have run fdisk /mbr.  Not sure if I've specifically set the partition to
active or not; I'll have to check on that.

Right now, /dev/hda1 is a bootable DOS partition, and /dev/hdd1 is my Linux
root filesystem.  I've tried installing LILO in the MBR of /dev/hda, and it
still didn't work.

Post by Andy Lyttl » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> U must have dos floppy disk that have FDISK. At command prompt run FDISK
> /MBR then boot dos again. And FDISK to activate the partition to active. If
> you have any problem you should read LILO-HOWTO.

Thanks everybody, I got it.  This is one of those RTFM moments, I guess.
The problem was, my BIOS doesn't recognize drives bigger than 540 MB, so I
had to move vmlinuz and the boot directory to another, smaller drive and
configure LILO to load the necessary stuff from there, with the bigger drive
as the root filesystem.  I decided to put the necessary files on my DOS
partition (/dev/hda1), since I already had the kernel there anyway for
LOADLIN, and I want to keep LOADLIN around (so I can quickly get back to
Linux after using DOS).

                              - Andy Lyttle

                                http://www.bigfoot.com/~phroggy/

L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by James Allen Wharto » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I get that error when I switch hard drives and forget to change the cmos
settings. You might make sure the block sizes match the setting in the linux
install.

Allen

Post by Patrick M. Geaha » Thu, 14 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I get that error when I switch hard drives and forget to change the cmos
: settings. You might make sure the block sizes match the setting in the linux
: install.

: Allen

See if you can answer this one.  I have the same problem on an IBM 4.2GB
drive - except it's SCSI-2, and mounted off a Diamond Fireport 40.  THe
onboard BIOS doesn't seem to have block settings, or anything like that.
How would I fix this problem?(RH5.1, if it makes a difference.)

          Patrick "I'm a graphical cheek ant" Geahan

L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by Andy Lyttl » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> : I get that error when I switch hard drives and forget to change the cmos
> : settings. You might make sure the block sizes match the setting in the linux
> : install.

> : Allen

> See if you can answer this one.  I have the same problem on an IBM 4.2GB
> drive - except it's SCSI-2, and mounted off a Diamond Fireport 40.  THe
> onboard BIOS doesn't seem to have block settings, or anything like that.
> How would I fix this problem?(RH5.1, if it makes a difference.)

Nope, I figured it out - the BIOS doesn't recognize my main hard drive, so I
have to copy the kernel and the /boot directory to a partition on a smaller
drive that the BIOS does recognize (this can even be a DOS partition!) and
configure LILO to load everything from there, but then use the bigger drive
for the root filesystem.  Thanks to all those who helped me figure it out!

                              - Andy Lyttle

                                http://www.bigfoot.com/~phroggy/

L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...

Post by Jeffrey A. Beni » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Same thing on an IBM 9zx Ultra wide scsi*
off a Buslogic Flashpoint lt.  Root partition completely
under 1023.  Would luv to hear an answer to this one.

jeff

> : I get that error when I switch hard drives and forget to change the cmos
> : settings. You might make sure the block sizes match the setting in the linux
> : install.

> : Allen

> See if you can answer this one.  I have the same problem on an IBM 4.2GB
> drive - except it's SCSI-2, and mounted off a Diamond Fireport 40.  THe
> onboard BIOS doesn't seem to have block settings, or anything like that.
> How would I fix this problem?(RH5.1, if it makes a difference.)

> --
>           Patrick "I'm a graphical cheek ant" Geahan

1. lilo won't start, sez: L01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

Hi there, I am running nt 4, and slakware 3.3 on a p-pro 200
I have nt running on hda1 and linux on hdb1.
Lilo was on the MBR of hda1 (hda1 is active). I was using
bare.i and color.gz as my boot and root. Lilo would start
and then load the nt loader to get into NT. Everything was
working just peachy like this. Then I recompiled my kernel
to include my 3c905 net card. My kernel compiled fine and the
networking works, but my lilo got screwed up somehow. It worked
fine the first time i booted to my new kernel, but when i shut it down
the pc locked up (some funny whirring noises). When I rebooted instead
of getting the lilo prompt, i got  "L01 01 01 01 01...." continuing
infinately. I did a fdisk /mbr and moved my lilo to my linux partition
on hdb1 and used nt loader to start lilo but i still get the same
"L01 01 01 01..." has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?
I can get into NT fine, and I am using a boot disk to get into linux.
Any help is appreciated.. thanx

2. orb link problem, cant find the files.

3. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

4. Mail

5. lilo li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 solution

6. Apache: POST not implemented

7. SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

8. ISP dial-up service

9. LILO 01 01 01 01 01 01....

10. Linux installation problems - 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

11. Trying to boot, just get "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..."

12. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 from lilo? (on RedHat 4.0 & 4.1)

13. L 01 01 01 01 01