PPP with RedHat 2.1

Post by Scott Stanchfiel » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I just upgraded to RedHat 2.1. I have everything set up the same
way I did for 2.0.

When I start PPP (using pppd with chat) as root, all works fine.
When I try the same thing as a non-root user, I get ioctrl errors, and
it aborts.

This didn't happen in 2.0.  Is there something I need to change?

--
Scott Stanchfield
McCabe & Associates

PPP with RedHat 2.1

Post by Donnie Barn » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I just upgraded to RedHat 2.1. I have everything set up the same
>way I did for 2.0.

>When I start PPP (using pppd with chat) as root, all works fine.
>When I try the same thing as a non-root user, I get ioctrl errors, and
>it aborts.

>This didn't happen in 2.0.  Is there something I need to change?

chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/pppd

That should do it...it's a bit of a security hole, but shouldn't
matter on single user systems where no dial-in is allowed.

--Donnie

PPP with RedHat 2.1

Post by Al Longye » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>I just upgraded to RedHat 2.1. I have everything set up the same
>>way I did for 2.0.

>>When I start PPP (using pppd with chat) as root, all works fine.
>>When I try the same thing as a non-root user, I get ioctrl errors, and
>>it aborts.

>>This didn't happen in 2.0.  Is there something I need to change?
>chmod 4755 /usr/sbin/pppd
>That should do it...it's a bit of a security hole, but shouldn't
>matter on single user systems where no dial-in is allowed.

Oh, what 'security hole' is that?

--

The above opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Management
of System Integrators nor any of its subsidiaries.

PPP with RedHat 2.1

Post by Scott Stanchfiel » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Thanks -- I tried this the day after I posted (for some reason it
popped into my head) and it worked.

-- Scott

--
Scott Stanchfield
McCabe & Associates
Columbia, Maryland
(These are not necessarily the opinions of McCabe & Associates)

1. Setting up ppp with Redhat 2.1

I just installed Redhat 2.1 on my box at home but the documentation that
came with was really sketchy on how to get ppp working.  It said I
needed some scripts to work with pppd.  Does anyone have any and
wouldn't mind explaining how to set it up.  This is my first go with
linux.  Thanks for the help!!!:)

Tom

--
************************
Tom Freestone

Systems Admin
IT Services
Brigham Young University
************************

2. nroff problem on Solaris 2.3 system

3. Setting up PPP on RedHat 2.1

4. Arpwatch 1.3

5. RedHat 2.1 PPP setup

6. setting up xdmcp on SOlaris8

7. help upgrading from redhat 2.1 to redhat 3.0.3

8. ncurses : getch() does not work without echo

9. XFree86 2.1 for solaris x86 2.1

10. System hangs under linux 2.1.9x and 2.1.1xx

11. FreeBSD 2.1 Documentation and Installation of "Everything" to 2.1 Gig drive.

12. bootpd 2.1-4and Slackware 2.1

13. 2.1.5x, 2.1.6x hang problems.