SuSE 5.3 kppp/pppd/Netscape, etc...

Post by Dave Lindgre » Fri, 09 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello:

Sadly, I'm still addressing you from my MSDOS platform -
seems I'm only part of the way to setting up my Internet
connection on SuSE 5.3. My modem works fine (ZOOM external
14400), Minicom works, kppp & pppd connect to my ISP via
default gateway & exchange packets, etc. Start Netscape 4.05
- returns: unable to connect (to www.suse.de) unknown host.
Netscape goes on to suggest the $SOCKS_NS environmental variable
may not be pointing to the correct name server (or some such).
I've pour over HOWTO's, MAN pages, and support web sites for
3 days now (that's an eternity in my lifetime). My newsreader,
mail client, etc., return similar output. I know I'm confused.
The solution is right under my nose, I'm sure. Can some kind
soul tell me what to look into as far as getting these apps
access to my connection? I'm familiar with MS TCP/IP Dial Up
and wsock32.dll and it's predecessors - is there a Linux
equivalent/ other sockets connection protocol? Does my loop back
IP (127.0.0.1) interfere? I'm into programming, networking really
gets me screwed up sometimes--So much to learn! Please Help.

Thanks
Dave

Post by Alan » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hello:

> Sadly, I'm still addressing you from my MSDOS platform -
> seems I'm only part of the way to setting up my Internet
> connection on SuSE 5.3. My modem works fine (ZOOM external
> 14400), Minicom works, kppp & pppd connect to my ISP via
> default gateway & exchange packets, etc. Start Netscape 4.05
> - returns: unable to connect (to www.suse.de) unknown host.
> Netscape goes on to suggest the $SOCKS_NS environmental variable
> may not be pointing to the correct name server (or some such).
> I've pour over HOWTO's, MAN pages, and support web sites for
> 3 days now (that's an eternity in my lifetime). My newsreader,
> mail client, etc., return similar output. I know I'm confused.
> The solution is right under my nose, I'm sure. Can some kind
> soul tell me what to look into as far as getting these apps
> access to my connection? I'm familiar with MS TCP/IP Dial Up
> and wsock32.dll and it's predecessors - is there a Linux
> equivalent/ other sockets connection protocol? Does my loop back
> IP (127.0.0.1) interfere? I'm into programming, networking really
> gets me screwed up sometimes--So much to learn! Please Help.

> Thanks
> Dave

Dave,
It sounds to me as though you haven't specified the ip addresses of your
ISP's DNS Server. call your ISP & get those IP addresses then plug them
into the profile for your connection that you set up in KPPP.
In the meantime, you can use 199.182.120.202 or 199.182.120.203. These
are IP addresses for a couple of DNS servers that I know of.
Drop an email if you have any trouble.
Alan Conboy

SuSE 5.3 kppp/pppd/Netscape, etc...

Post by alla » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Dave,

I think I had the same problem.

The file /etc/host.conf should contain the line:

        order hosts bind

Has something to do with the order in resolving a host
name. 'hosts' searches /etc/hosts and then 'bind' uses
a nameserver.

Hope this helps.
Allan

>> Hello:

>> Sadly, I'm still addressing you from my MSDOS platform -
>> seems I'm only part of the way to setting up my Internet
>> connection on SuSE 5.3. My modem works fine (ZOOM external
>> 14400), Minicom works, kppp & pppd connect to my ISP via
>> default gateway & exchange packets, etc. Start Netscape 4.05
>> - returns: unable to connect (to www.suse.de) unknown host.
>> Netscape goes on to suggest the $SOCKS_NS environmental variable
>> may not be pointing to the correct name server (or some such).
>> I've pour over HOWTO's, MAN pages, and support web sites for
>> 3 days now (that's an eternity in my lifetime). My newsreader,
>> mail client, etc., return similar output. I know I'm confused.
>> The solution is right under my nose, I'm sure. Can some kind
>> soul tell me what to look into as far as getting these apps
>> access to my connection? I'm familiar with MS TCP/IP Dial Up
>> and wsock32.dll and it's predecessors - is there a Linux
>> equivalent/ other sockets connection protocol? Does my loop back
>> IP (127.0.0.1) interfere? I'm into programming, networking really
>> gets me screwed up sometimes--So much to learn! Please Help.

>> Thanks
>> Dave

1. what happens after connection ?( Kppp under Suse 5.3)

Hi
I am having great trouble getting into a connection with the web etc.
I have used Kppp to set up the connection.
That all works fine and the connection is "up"
When I try to use Kmail or netscape, nothing happens.(and it takes
forever!)
I have tried pinging different addresses but still nothing.

Anybody got any ideas?

All help greatly appreciated.

Alan

2. Software to let you watch another's session

3. Help! PPP, kppp & dailup on suse 5.3

4. Is Xandros dead?

5. S.u.S.E. 5.3 & ISDN & PPP: pppd not functioning!

6. Internet Bottlenecks

7. Suse 5.3 and pppd 2.3.5

8. Cannot install RedHat 8 with RAID1

9. Newbie SuSE 6.0 kppp/pppd/netscape

10. Netscape 4.05 and lpr with SuSe Linux 5.3

11. Problems with Netscape 4.06 and SuSE 5.3

12. Running Netscape from KDE in SuSe 5.3

13. netscape don't work on SuSE 5.3