seeking recommendations on new (cheap) hard drive to install Red Hat or Mandrake

Post by Chris Co » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 04:35:45

> to make a long story short.....

> I've been meaning to partition my hard drive for awhile (I'm running
> Win98...haha very funny I know) but I couldn't get it to work (even with
> partition magic and boot magic...thats a long story in and of itself)

> anyway so now I think the best alternative is just to buy a new hard drive
> and install a version of Linux on that (and then use it to run mysql, php,
> and oracle and maybe a few other things)....obviously I don't need anything
> huge to do this.......but does anybody have any recommendations?

What do you have?  ATA33..ATA66...???  You're bound to get a lot of
advice on this... but you might be paying for something that you
can't use fully.  I like the Maxtor D740X line (given the probs with
IBM and WD lately)... maybe you can get one before the 1 year
warranty kick into effect (vs.their old 3 yr warranty policy).

Post by mjt » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:40:23

> and oracle and maybe a few other things)....obviously I don't need anything
> huge to do this.......but does anybody have any recommendations?

...any decent modern hard drive will suffice

seeking recommendations on new (cheap) hard drive to install Red Hat or Mandrake

Post by Geobec » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:45:06

On September 9, 2002 12:19 pm, Ed-D cast this pearl before us:

Quote:> to make a long story short.....

> I've been meaning to partition my hard drive for awhile (I'm running
> Win98...haha very funny I know) but I couldn't get it to work (even with
> partition magic and boot magic...thats a long story in and of itself)

> anyway so now I think the best alternative is just to buy a new hard drive
> and install a version of Linux on that (and then use it to run mysql, php,
> and oracle and maybe a few other things)....obviously I don't need
> anything huge to do this.......but does anybody have any recommendations?

You're probably having the same partitioning problem I had, although I'm
using Win2k.  No matter what you use to defrag the drive, it leaves a bunch
of directories spread throughout the drive, so you can't use a partition
utility to do the job painlessly.

My solution (on my Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM drive) was to back up all of my
files, then partition the drive while doing a complete re-install of
Windows.  I left half of the drive as unpartitioned space, and let Mandrake
deal with it after Windows was up and running.

I don't know if Win98 has a partitioning utility in the install app; if not
you should look around for a 'cheap' copy of Win2k.

--
Geobeck
Remove 1 thing to reply

Post by Paul Sherw » Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:39:13

>to make a long story short.....

>I've been meaning to partition my hard drive for awhile (I'm running
>Win98...haha very funny I know) but I couldn't get it to work (even with
>partition magic and boot magic...thats a long story in and of itself)

>anyway so now I think the best alternative is just to buy a new hard drive
>and install a version of Linux on that (and then use it to run mysql, php,
>and oracle and maybe a few other things)....obviously I don't need anything
>huge to do this.......but does anybody have any recommendations?

Buy on price. If the PC isn't new, be aware that Award BIOSes (and
some others) had a problem with disks larger than 32GB until a couple
of years ago. There's no workaround for this, you just have to flash
the BIOS (not to be undertaken lightly) or jumper the drive so it
appears to be 32GB to the BIOS. 20GB drives are now relatively
expensive compared to 40/60GB drives for this very reason.

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Sherwin Consulting     http://www.veryComputer.com/

"When I look back, the fondest memory I have is not really of
 the Goons, it is of a girl called Julia with enormous *s."
                          Spike Milligan 1918-2002 R.I.P.

Post by mjt » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:15:20

> Buy on price. If the PC isn't new, be aware that Award BIOSes (and
> some others) had a problem with disks larger than 32GB until a couple
> of years ago. There's no workaround for this, you just have to flash
> the BIOS (not to be undertaken lightly) or jumper the drive so it
> appears to be 32GB to the BIOS. 20GB drives are now relatively
> expensive compared to 40/60GB drives for this very reason.

you can also get a 'bios-on-a-card'

Post by Chris Co » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 02:54:49

>>>to make a long story short.....

>>>I've been meaning to partition my hard drive for awhile (I'm running
>>>Win98...haha very funny I know) but I couldn't get it to work (even with
>>>partition magic and boot magic...thats a long story in and of itself)

>>>anyway so now I think the best alternative is just to buy a new hard

> drive

>>>and install a version of Linux on that (and then use it to run mysql,

> php,

>>>and oracle and maybe a few other things)....obviously I don't need

> anything

>>>huge to do this.......but does anybody have any recommendations?

>>Buy on price. If the PC isn't new, be aware that Award BIOSes (and
>>some others) had a problem with disks larger than 32GB until a couple
>>of years ago.

> yeah this is exactly the problem that I'm having.

> Better to just buy an old computer and set up a network.

Aacck!! (or NAK)  Maybe a problem with a 486... but otherwise, I doubt
it. Linux doesn't need the BIOS much.... BIOS doesn't have to see all
of the space.  Choose a config that at least lets it see it
as a bootable device (which in all fairness isn't necessary
either if you go off of floppy) and Linux will take care of
the rest.

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'

3. Red Hat 7.0 can not see hard hard drive during install

4. email trouble: "can't load library ...

5. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

6. Unix Account

7. red hat on new hard drive

8. Help - Adaptec 1542CF no longer Works

9. Installing Red Hat from a hard drive

10. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

11. Help: installing red hat 4.2 hard drive/zip problems

12. Installing Red Hat 5.1 from hard drive only

13. Installing red hat on 3rd hard drive?