Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

Post by Bill » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:56:25

Hi to all -

I've just tried to install Red Hat Linux on a separate partition that I done
with Partition Magic to share with Windows - the install went OK I thought
until I saw 'No Screens Found' in the text as it flashed by - upon
re-booting - I have no Linux and only Windows starts - when I tried to boot
with the floppy that I had made during the install Red Hat asked me to log
on which I did (no graphical screen) and password in just a DOS type mode -
and then I got a list saying at the bottom (EE) Fatal Server Error: No
Screen Found.

I would sure appreciate help in this - thanks in advance -

Bill

Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

Post by Sebastian Bossun » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:49:44

Bill,

you need to configure your graphical display by setting up XFree. This
should (I think) have been done by the setup program, but appearantly it
failed. What graphics card are you using?
I don't know what the setup program for XFree is in RedHat since I use a
different distribution. Check the manual on how to set up XFree by hand.

HTH

Sebastian

> Hi to all -

> I've just tried to install Red Hat Linux on a separate partition that I
> done with Partition Magic to share with Windows - the install went OK I
> thought until I saw 'No Screens Found' in the text as it flashed by - upon
> re-booting - I have no Linux and only Windows starts - when I tried to
> boot with the floppy that I had made during the install Red Hat asked me
> to log on which I did (no graphical screen) and password in just a DOS
> type mode - and then I got a list saying at the bottom (EE) Fatal Server
> Error: No Screen Found.

> I would sure appreciate help in this - thanks in advance -

> Bill

Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

Post by Eric » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:12:57

Quote:> I've just tried to install Red Hat Linux on a separate partition that I
done
> with Partition Magic to share with Windows - the install went OK I thought
> until I saw 'No Screens Found' in the text as it flashed by - upon
> re-booting - I have no Linux and only Windows starts - when I tried to
boot
> with the floppy that I had made during the install Red Hat asked me to log
> on which I did (no graphical screen) and password in just a DOS type
mode -
> and then I got a list saying at the bottom (EE) Fatal Server Error: No
> Screen Found.

> I would sure appreciate help in this - thanks in advance -

When you get to the LILO prompt, enter "linux 3" (without the quotes)
And run `XConfigurator`. Try with `startx` if your setup works.
Now you can boot to linux normally again.

Eric

Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

Post by Bill » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 05:43:46

Hi -

Thanks for reply - but still cannot get past the 'Fatal Error' No Screens
Found - I have a Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra card with 64mb and version 7.0 of Red
Hat - hope this may help -

:-)

TIA

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:54:37

> Thanks for reply - but still cannot get past the 'Fatal Error' No Screens
> Found - I have a Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra card with 64mb and version 7.0 of Red
> Hat - hope this may help -

The LILO prompt is before the kernel even boots. You get a red-white
'RedHat' image just after the BIOS boot process. Press CTRL-X here and
you should get a 'LILO boot:' prompt. Type 'linux 3' here and follow
Eric's instructions.

> > > I've just tried to install Red Hat Linux on a separate partition that I
> > done
> > > with Partition Magic to share with Windows - the install went OK I
> thought
> > > until I saw 'No Screens Found' in the text as it flashed by - upon
> > > re-booting - I have no Linux and only Windows starts - when I tried to
> > boot
> > > with the floppy that I had made during the install Red Hat asked me to
> log
> > > on which I did (no graphical screen) and password in just a DOS type
> > mode -
> > > and then I got a list saying at the bottom (EE) Fatal Server Error: No
> > > Screen Found.

> > > I would sure appreciate help in this - thanks in advance -

> > When you get to the LILO prompt, enter "linux 3" (without the quotes)
> > And run `XConfigurator`. Try with `startx` if your setup works.
> > Now you can boot to linux normally again.

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] --------------------------------------
ATA100 is another testimony to the fact that pigs can be

Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

Post by Eric » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:06:22

Quote:> > Thanks for reply - but still cannot get past the 'Fatal Error' No
Screens
> > Found - I have a Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra card with 64mb and version 7.0 of
Red
> > Hat - hope this may help -

> The LILO prompt is before the kernel even boots. You get a red-white
> 'RedHat' image just after the BIOS boot process. Press CTRL-X here and
> you should get a 'LILO boot:' prompt. Type 'linux 3' here and follow
> Eric's instructions.

Aaarrrgh.
Damn those graphical boot prompts.........

Eric

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 19:00:12

> > > Thanks for reply - but still cannot get past the 'Fatal Error' No
> Screens
> > > Found - I have a Nvidia GeForce2 Ultra card with 64mb and version 7.0 of
> Red
> > > Hat - hope this may help -

> > The LILO prompt is before the kernel even boots. You get a red-white
> > 'RedHat' image just after the BIOS boot process. Press CTRL-X here and
> > you should get a 'LILO boot:' prompt. Type 'linux 3' here and follow
> > Eric's instructions.

> Aaarrrgh.
> Damn those graphical boot prompts.........

If you want to get rid of it, you can disable it by removing the line
'message=/boot/message' from lilo.conf :-)

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] --------------------------------------
Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain.

Post by Eric » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:31:33

Quote:> > > > Thanks for reply - but still cannot get past the 'Fatal Error' No
> > Screens
> > Red

> > > The LILO prompt is before the kernel even boots. You get a red-white
> > > 'RedHat' image just after the BIOS boot process. Press CTRL-X here and
> > > you should get a 'LILO boot:' prompt. Type 'linux 3' here and follow
> > > Eric's instructions.

> > Aaarrrgh.
> > Damn those graphical boot prompts.........

> If you want to get rid of it, you can disable it by removing the line
> 'message=/boot/message' from lilo.conf :-)

I don't have the graphical interface myself, and I keep forgetting that
others might have it.
IIRC there's something more to be done with some installs though. I forgot
what it was,
but I read this either here or in colm, so searching deja(google) should
turn it up.

Eric

Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

I have a similar problem... "startx" gives me a fatal server error:no screens found.. yet, typing "XConfigurator" gives me  bash:command not found.  Total newbie... is there a "run" command?

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 18:14:06

> I have a similar problem... "startx" gives me a fatal server error:no screens found.. yet, typing "XConfigurator" gives me  bash:command not found.  Total newbie... is there a "run" command?

How have you been able to install RedHat without bash???

Well, check if it is installed and the files are ok:

rpm -q bash
rpm -V bash

If it is not installed, you need to reinstall bash:

rpm -ivh /dir/to/install/cd/RedHat/RPMS/bash-*

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] --------------------------------------
If you only have a hammer

Newbie help..'No Screens Found'

Post by Eric » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 15:26:00

Quote:> > I have a similar problem... "startx" gives me a fatal server error:no

screens found.. yet, typing "XConfigurator" gives me  bash:command not
found.  Total newbie... is there a "run" command?

Quote:

> How have you been able to install RedHat without bash???

I doubt that's the case.
bash is complaining that XConfigurator isn't found.

Andd Ryan, use xf86config instead. Not so nice a GUI, but it will work.

Eric

1. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

Hi all,

I'm involved in using one machine to install SCO unix on hot swappable
disks. In order to do this I need change the serial number of a machine
so that each machine can have a unique ID. The disk will then be
installed on a new machine and the serial number will identify the
machine with the serial ID.

What are the files that need to be "brand"ed in order to change the
serial number/activation key pairing ?
Tried files in /etc/perms plus /etc/perms/bundle to no avail.
Using "uname -X" to see current serial number - is this the correct
command?

I'd appreciate if someone could get back to me on this one ...

Thanks in advance ...

Ray Fallon

Address : Nortel Ireland Ltd.,
Galway, Ireland.

2. dual booting with freeBSD

3. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

4. Speeds

5. Misterious behavior of 'dip' and 'find', help if u can...

6. Getting back into Linux

7. X configuration problem 'no screens found'

8. No problem with multiple GUI's

9. startx gives 'Server failed: no screens found'

10. ATI XPERT2000 'No Screens Found'

11. What does 'no screens found' mean?

12. Slackware Xwindows 'No screens found...'

13. Redhat 7.0 : 'No Screens Found' msg