RH 6.0 Installation -- Tricks needed...

Post by Costas Malam » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I am a Linux newbie but a Unix oldie... I recently got the Red Hat
6.0 GPL CDs and want to install Linux on an old 486 I have lying around
(to play with Linux and get some experience before putting it on more
critical machines).  My problem is that the 486 doesnot have a CD-ROM.
The IDE controller is an old one supporting two HDs, and there are
already 2 HDs installed (2x340MB).  Now:
 * I want Linux to use both HDs --getting rid of Win95 ;-)
 * The 486 doesnot have a sound card to put an old CD-ROM on either (not
that I have one of those lying around).

Other tools at my disposal:
 * A desktop with a Hitachi IDE DVD-ROM and a 3COM Etherlink II card,
running win95 (I can use the card on the 486).
 * A notebook (Gateway) with a DVD-ROM too (not sure of the model or
brand) and also Ethernet-enabled, running win98.
 * A TCP/IP LAN connecting these two (and a coupla other PCs -- we have
a wired house ;-) using base10 TP Ethernet.  Plus a parallel Laplink
cable.

What do you guys think is the best (ie, safest and easiest) way to go
about installing Linux?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

--
costas malamas _______________________________________________________
http://www.nyx.net/~cmalamas/

Post by David Ript » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hi, I am a Linux newbie but a Unix oldie... I recently got the Red Hat
>6.0 GPL CDs and want to install Linux on an old 486 I have lying around
>(to play with Linux and get some experience before putting it on more
>critical machines).  My problem is that the 486 doesnot have a CD-ROM.
>The IDE controller is an old one supporting two HDs, and there are
>already 2 HDs installed (2x340MB).  Now:
> * I want Linux to use both HDs --getting rid of Win95 ;-)
> * The 486 doesnot have a sound card to put an old CD-ROM on either (not
>that I have one of those lying around).

>Other tools at my disposal:
> * A desktop with a Hitachi IDE DVD-ROM and a 3COM Etherlink II card,
>running win95 (I can use the card on the 486).
> * A notebook (Gateway) with a DVD-ROM too (not sure of the model or
>brand) and also Ethernet-enabled, running win98.
> * A TCP/IP LAN connecting these two (and a coupla other PCs -- we have
>a wired house ;-) using base10 TP Ethernet.  Plus a parallel Laplink
>cable.

>What do you guys think is the best (ie, safest and easiest) way to go
>about installing Linux?

Cleanest is a local ftp install.  Put a network card in your 486.
Put war-ftpd on one of your Windows boxes and the CD in its DVD drive.
Verify that you can download files from it manually with a ftp client.
Make the Red Hat network boot disks on a Windows box using rawrite.exe
Boot the 486 with the boot disk, pick ftp install, and you're off.
You'll have to be somewhat selective in what RPMs to install due to
limited disk space.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

1. NFS Installation of RH 6.0 in a two-computer-network

I'm trying to install RH 6.0 on an old 486 via NFS from my Compaq
Presario and am beginning to wonder if it is at all possible? The two
machines are the only ones on my network and the installation sequence
comes to a halt when trying to mount my cdrom over the network
('nfsmount returns zero').

The network cards are recognized by both machines and I can ping to
the 486 computer.

Proceeding like the NFS-HOWTO states everything looks ok BUT when
running rpcinfo -p I only get the udp entry of nfs like this:

      100003    2   udp   2049  nfs

Come to think of it, I'm not really sure that portmapper and mountd
started with the tcp proto either.

This seems like a probable cause of the problem but I don't have a clue
on how to proceed. Could anyone out there give me some advice?

Thanks

  Mac

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Xlib inconsistent with Xpmac???

3. RH 6.0 Installation problem

4. Autofs question

5. RH 6.0, and WebSphere installation problems

6. Syntax-parsing diff util ?

7. RH 6.0 Installation - Re-partitioning question

8. COMMERCIAL: Last Defender 1.2.0 for X windows (game)

9. Oracle 8.1.5 Installation Problem on RH 6.0 Linux

10. screen saver complains about colors (RH 6.0 clean installation)

11. RH 6.0 Installation problems on XP1000

12. NFS Installation of RH 6.0 in a two-computer-network

13. Help: Installing RH 6.0 - Installation Woes